Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2006, 11:48 AM

10 posts, read 66,923 times

Advertisements

My husband is going down for a job interview this week and more that likely has already gotten this job. I need to know how the Hickory schools are for special education students as my son is learning disabled. He is also adopted and is of mixed race and I have heard an awful lot about corporal punishment for learning disabled students along with being a boy. I need to know if Hickory schools use corporal punishment and if they are equipped to handle special education students. Any feedback would be appreicated.

Old 04-17-2006, 02:13 PM

3 posts, read 8,853 times
Smile Hickory Schools

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbear
My husband is going down for a job interview this week and more that likely has already gotten this job. I need to know how the Hickory schools are for special education students as my son is learning disabled. He is also adopted and is of mixed race and I have heard an awful lot about corporal punishment for learning disabled students along with being a boy. I need to know if Hickory schools use corporal punishment and if they are equipped to handle special education students. Any feedback would be appreicated.

I grew up in the general Hickory and have relatives whose children went to school there. In general it is a good school system although I don't know specifics that you are looking for. Hickory is located in Catawba County so you could do a search for Catawba County schools and you should come up with something. Hope that helps a little. As for colleges, they have Lenoir Rhyne College located within Hickory.

Old 04-17-2006, 03:12 PM

Thanks for the advice, I'm just worried about if they would be able to help my son with his learning disabilities in addition to ADHD. I really don't need them hitting him with paddles and I won't stand for that kind of treatment. I will check out Catawba County on the websites and see their ratings.

Old 04-17-2006, 04:06 PM

285 posts, read 1,090,735 times
From the Catawba County Policy manual:

B. Corporal Punishment

Corporal punishment may not be used until alternative disciplinary methods have been tried. Corporal punishment may be used to discipline a student so long as the following conditions are met:

1. Corporal punishment will not be administered in a classroom with other students present;

2. The student body will be informed beforehand what general types of misconduct could result in corporal punishment;

3. Parental permission for administering corporal punishment will be obtained (see board policy 4.3100, Parental Involvement);

4. Only a teacher, principal or assistant principal may administer corporal punishment and may do so only in the presence of a principal (or designee), who will be informed beforehand and in the student's presence of the reason for the punishment; and

5. An appropriate school official will provide the student’s parent or guardian with notification that corporal punishment has been administered, and upon request, the official who administered the corporal punishment will provide the student’s parent or guardian a written explanation of the reasons and the name of the second school official who was present.

Old 04-17-2006, 04:08 PM

285 posts, read 1,090,735 times
The Office of Civil Rights data for the year 2000 reported 10 incidents of corporal punishment in Catawba County Schools, all at Claremont Elementary, all to boys.
In the year 2002, there were no incidents reported. The above policy is currently online.
Hope this helps.

Old 04-18-2006, 06:27 AM

Thank you so much for finding this information for me. It helps me out a lot if we should have to make this move down to NC. I may have to consider private schooling. Thanks again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina