U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2006, 12:13 PM

7 posts, read 22,826 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone! It looks as if we may be getting transferred to NC, and I am so confused! We are currently in Michigan, but were transferred here from Texas, and we very much have the Southern friendly way about us (absolutely not so in Michigan!). My biggest worry is that we cannot make a mistake with this move ... we have a 12 yr old, and we need to stay wherever we end up until she finishes school. We will be visiting NC next week, and I would appreciate any input as to where to start based on the following:- we are interested in an area that is very much welcoming of newcomers (another problem in Michigan!), we would like to be fairly close to beaches, I love to shop - so lots of shopping would be awesome, we would like a medium sized community - not one that everyone knows everything, a community that is not too religious, it will be important to be near a major airport as my husband travels extensively, new home prices 200k, and, of course, the schools will be on the top of our list as well as the crime rates. Another thought - I love Myrtle Beach and it would be nice to be close it! I have read through many things on this board and have learned a lot, but I am still so terribly confused. We literally do not even have a starting point as my husband's job does not require us to be in any certain area. If we at least had a specific job location, we could start somewhere! Thanks in advance for any advice/input you can offer. Best, Chris.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2006, 12:26 PM

5,661 posts, read 24,670,044 times
I think it would be helpful if you would define "medium-sized community" by a population range. Also, how close to the coast do you want to be, hours by car? Is South Carolina a possibility?

Last edited by mm34b; 04-18-2006 at 12:39 PM..

Old 04-18-2006, 01:13 PM

7 posts, read 22,826 times
Sorry about that - well, as far as medium sized community goes ... maybe around 100k - I know I am not being real specific, but I am trying to go by our past experiences which were Houston (way way too big), Austin (not bad at all, but don't know exact population), and now a small community in Michigan - maybe 50k, and everyone knows when everyone else eats, sleeps, walks, etc.! Yes, we would like to be able to drive to the beach - and frequently. As far as South Carolina goes ... I knew that would come up :-) ... yes, it is possible, but we put that on the side as we are trying to stay a little focused and not get too overwhelmed! We are finding this extremely stressful and, to make matters worse, we are on a bit of a tight time-frame - probably looking at beginning of July. Thanks again and would love to hear everyone's thoughts.

Old 04-18-2006, 01:50 PM

5,661 posts, read 24,670,044 times
The only thing I see that meets your requirements as far as population size, air access, proximity to the coast is Cary. Fayetteville, is also a contender but not much in my opinion.

Last edited by mm34b; 04-18-2006 at 01:57 PM..

Old 04-18-2006, 07:00 PM

6 posts, read 23,218 times
Default kimbarah

I understand why you are confused. I am thinking about relocating to N.C. but I am not sure what area to look at. My husband sells in flea markets here in the Northeast.I mean how are you supposed to figure out somthing like where the best markets are?? Anyone have any info on the best flea markets in N.C. Any input would be greatly appreciated. I have a 6 year old and a 4 year old so schools would also be a priority.

Old 04-19-2006, 07:45 AM

1,536 posts, read 5,109,669 times
The flea market at the Fair Grounds in Raleigh is awesome. There are so many areas you can choose to live in surrounding this area. Its a wonderful place to live and relocate to. You should plan a trip to the flea market here. Open every Sat and Sun all day. Even through the winter you will find them open. There is indoor and outdoor spaces. Alot of people have been there for 20+ years. I find some wonderful deals there. When family comes from out of state they want to make sure to go there. The only time they close is when the NC stste fair is in town, which is in Oct for a couple weeks. I hear some people like the break. If I can help you in anyway with any info on this area please just let me know.

Regards,

Debbie Forghetti

Old 04-19-2006, 09:59 PM

6 posts, read 23,218 times
Default kimbarah

Debbie,
Thank you so much for the info. Sounds like a great place. Do the vendors at this market sell new merchandise? That is one thing I didn't mention. My husband sells all new merchandise. I know sometimes certain markets sell only used. The two best markets here that we go to sell both new and used but the majority is new. What towns in that area can you reccomend? I can check them out. I am planning a trip in August. Thanks again for any information it will really help. KIM

Old 04-20-2006, 05:27 AM

1,536 posts, read 5,109,669 times
Kim,

The flea market sells EVERYTHING new and used. It is a wonderful place. I would say half and half there. It is huge though.There are so many areas you can live in. Raleigh,Cary,Apex,Fuquay Varina,Garner,Clayton,Wake Forest-it all depends on your needs and what fits into your budget. That is great your coming down to see the area. The only way you can tell is by seeing first hand. If I can help you while your here just let me know. My emails are posted on this site. Good Luck to you.

Regards,

Debbie

Old 04-20-2006, 08:34 AM

143 posts, read 443,526 times
Default Antique / Flea Selling? Check out Selma!

The town (city?) of Selma has been re-inventing itself in recent years. The downtown had died and the town fathers came upon the idea of making the downtown a mecca for antique dealers.
It is definitely worth checking out and who knows: there may be store space available as well.
Be sure to stop at the grill (forgot the name) that is on one of the main drags. Just follow the smell of real wood grillin' for the best burger you ever had!
Selma is located SE of Raleigh, about 15 miles from Clayton if memory serves. It is also close to Smithfield.

Old 04-20-2006, 12:30 PM

143 posts, read 443,526 times
I looked it up - Swee****er's Grille.
Unbelievable burgers!!!

http://www.selma-nc.com/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina