Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2006, 08:10 PM

1 posts, read 3,497 times

Advertisements

evening all,

I'm a retired Coast Guard Vet currently living in Connecticut who'll be moving to NC soon. Combination of many factors, main one being I want my son to grow up good.

I've just started my research, focusing on jobs for now. Besides the usual type of info one can get online, am really interested in any inside skinny from techies who currently live in North Carolina. Stuff like which areas are really the best for IT work, what's growing/not growing, areas to avoid, etc.

Geographically I'm giving long looks at Wilmington, Asheville, the triangle, Charlotte.

Tech wise I've what I imagine to be the usual suite: MCSE 2K3, CCNA-headed towards CCNP, wireless, troubleshooting, some security, Exchange experience (and working on certs for these as well). Not sure if it would increase my marketability, but I'm fluent in Spanish, conversant in Italian and a couple others.

Well, anyways - thanks much in advance for your input. Though I've only spent a little bit of time in NC, it was great - I was in Wilmington back when they still had a Coast Guard Icebreaker stationed there, and memories of the kids saluting us in uniform and the warm appreciation from the locals for us is something I've never forgotten... and I want my boy to have that excellence imprinted inside him.

God Bless,

CGVet
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2006, 08:58 PM

1,895 posts, read 6,168,572 times
Hi there,
If you are looking in the Charlotte area, let me know. I can forward on the names of some headhunters -- just PM me. Best of luck to you

Old 11-13-2006, 06:24 AM

958 posts, read 2,621,274 times
Job opportunities in your field will be much more limited in Wilmington or Asheville. I lived in Wilmington for five years and worked in the software development field, and have lived in Asheville for the last four and worked in the same area. Both cities' economies are tied heavily to service and tourism and there just are not many IT related jobs. I worked in a software firm that laid off 60 people in Wilmington in 2002 and only a handful were able to find work there, most of the rest moved to the Raleigh area and some to Charlotte. Same thing in Asheville, I was able to find work here before the next layoff the Wilmington company had, but now, if I were to lose my job here, I almost certainly would have to move. Pay scales much higher in Charlotte and Raleigh as well, in general. You pay a tax, so to speak, for living near the beach or the mountains. Good luck in your search.

Old 11-13-2006, 10:27 AM

586 posts, read 1,546,612 times
Not sure if you are interested but there always seems to be a federal IT job posted in Charlotte, Fayetteville and Jacksonville. www.usajobs.gov

Old 11-14-2006, 03:14 PM

653 posts, read 2,986,872 times
If you're considering the Triangle, go to www.rtp.org. That would be my first suggestion. There is also the Triangle Business Journal, triangle.bizjournals.com, which may have information on local companies. pm me for specifics on the area, and thank-you for your service from an Army brat!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina