U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2006, 04:16 PM

5,661 posts, read 24,668,076 times

Advertisements

I've noticed quite a few posts concerning the risk of hurricanes along the NC coast. Here's the risk data on tornadoes for those considering relocating to NC.

http://www.nc-climate.ncsu.edu/office/newsletters/1999Spring/tornado_by_county.jpg (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2006, 04:48 PM

787 posts, read 3,321,613 times
My county is one of the white ones that has had 1-6 tornadoes reported. In Greene County, the worse ones were on March 28, 1984. It ripped through the southeast region of the county near the Lenoir County line and killed 6 people I believe it was, including a grandmother, her daughter and granddaughter. It also killed one of my mother's first cousins. It destroyed my uncle's house and it also flattened my aunt's house. My grandmother was living then and she had some damage to her house but it was nothing like my aunt's house. Then in 1995, we had one to pass in our backyard, it missed our house and the three houses between us and a country store. It sent the country store into the middle of the road but there were no injuries as the shop keeper had gone to the doctor. But it scared the living daylights out of us. Brianna was about 15 months old and by the time I grabbed her and got in the hall it was over with. But they are always a possiblity with hurricanes and tropical storms. Now my MIL's road was hit by one during tropical storm Kyle in 2002. It damaged her house to some degree but it took out the one across the road from here. There were no injuries or deaths with this one. But yes it happens here. And the worse part is that we are not normally expected this. In the case of the one in my backyard, we had no warning whatsoever. It is like it dropped out of the sky, hit the store and vanished all within 60 seconds. We were under a tornado watch and warning last night. But it went south of us and to my knowledge, nothing actually happened. Living in North Carolina is an art just like anywhere else is that has a high probablity of some type of natural disaster. You just have to prepare yourself as best you can and hope that you have done your best when it does happen.

Old 04-18-2006, 04:53 PM

Here is a site on North Carolina Hurricane History all the way back to the 16th centiry.

http://www.nc-climate.ncsu.edu/climate/hurricanes.html (broken link)

It gives the wind speed that determines the cat. of a storm 1-5 with 5 being the worse. Hurricanes were not "named" until 1953. At first it was all girl names that were used. Then in 1979, they started alternating with girl and boy's names. If a storm such as Katrina hits with massive loss of life and property, the name will be retired and another one will replace the list. Last year, 5 hurricane names were retired. The lists are rotated every 6 years meaning the names we had last year will be the ones used in 2011 and the ones we are using this year were used in 2000.

Old 04-18-2006, 05:29 PM

1,611 posts, read 4,404,853 times
OK I get it soem Yankee haters are paying you to scare us off!!
LOL ;-0

We have treacherous weather up norht too, some dealy hurricanes, & now with the radar they have been detecting that we have been getting tornadoes too!

Old 04-18-2006, 06:34 PM

1,536 posts, read 5,109,403 times
don't think thats going to work. There are more of us now ;-)

Old 04-19-2006, 06:24 AM

I am not trying to scare you off. If I were scare to live here, I would long ago have moved. My point is that every region has their own set of problems. Move down here if you wish. I am just telling you ahead of time what to expect. If you listen to the locals, it might just save your life one day. We welcome new people. Lord knows we don't have anything else to amuse us. Some new blood with new stories about where they live would be nice to hear.

Old 04-19-2006, 07:40 AM

528 posts, read 2,230,431 times
interesting map...do you know if the same map is available for other states?

Old 04-19-2006, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toria
interesting map...do you know if the same map is available for other states?
Don't know if other states have similar maps. The map above came from the NC Climate Office.

Old 04-19-2006, 07:58 AM

528 posts, read 2,230,431 times
okay, thanks....will hunt around for others.

Old 11-16-2006, 08:01 AM

At least five people were killed today after a tornado ripped through a trailer park in Riegelwood in Columbus County according to the county Sheriff's Department.

Moderator cut: linking to competitors sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 01-08-2008 at 04:10 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina