U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2015, 08:59 PM

169 posts, read 175,933 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

So why do I have this longing to return to my heritage in North Carolina and retire when I never even lived there before? I presently live in Boise, ID.
I am a decendant of the Thigpen's - Penny Hill north of Greenville area. I am inclined to look research the west part of the state near the mountains as I am thinking of a welcoming small town that would allow me to walk or ride my bicycle to Main Street.

Whats wrong with me?.........(<:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2015, 09:09 PM

3,791 posts, read 3,299,795 times
Kings Mountain or Lincolnton in the Charlotte area come to mind. Not far from Asheville. Cheap, quaint and very beautiful small town downtowns.

Old 08-05-2015, 09:20 PM

Ok, I will look that up. We would like to stay in the 140 - 180K area. We would come back to Idaho from
mid-May to October 1st each year.
Just want a small town with real character and a nice friendly bar and grill.

I will be using the VA Medical Center for my medical needs in my old age and my wife is a MRI tech so a hospital for her to commute to would be nice too.

Thanks

Old 08-05-2015, 10:00 PM

21,968 posts, read 27,252,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anjcohen View Post
Hello all,

So why do I have this longing to return to my heritage in North Carolina and retire when I never even lived there before? I presently live in Boise, ID.
I am a decendant of the Thigpen's - Penny Hill north of Greenville area. I am inclined to look research the west part of the state near the mountains as I am thinking of a welcoming small town that would allow me to walk or ride my bicycle to Main Street.

Whats wrong with me?.........(<:
Nothing wrong with you.

Kings Mountain would be a good place to look. There's a hospital & several other hospitals nearby. There's also an urgent care & other nearby urgent cares.

I have a neighbor who is a vet. He goes to the VA in Asheville but they're building a big VA in Charlotte. Kings Mountain is 30 miles from Charlotte.

Old 08-06-2015, 05:52 AM

2,492 posts, read 2,368,368 times
Come for a visit. A vacation spot might do more to scratch your itch then moving the family. Check out a couple places and go home to think about which you liked best. The ideal and reality are different things. Know the bigger cities are going to be more expensive then Idaho. That budget is a starter home in this area.

Old 08-06-2015, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyn7cyn View Post
Come for a visit. A vacation spot might do more to scratch your itch then moving the family. Check out a couple places and go home to think about which you liked best. The ideal and reality are different things. Know the bigger cities are going to be more expensive then Idaho. That budget is a starter home in this area.

WE are empty nesters late 50's. I am retired on pension and my wife is an MRI Tech and still wants to work.
So we have no family to move, just us.
As far as my heritage it goes back in N.C. to the 1600's - late 1800's. Ever hear of the Thigpen Trail? My 7th great grandfather was Dr. Thigpen the 4th - they lived at Penny Hill and the cemetery is there but the plantation is gone.

Anyway, we just need a 7.5 month residence from Oct. 1 to mid-May and then back to family and especially the grandchildren. Looking for a small town, friendly, on the conservative side, clean, ability to ride my bike or walk to main street to have a cup of coffee or breakfast in a friendly cafe, a movie theater, nice park, and just a small town with real character!

A house that has 1800 - 2200 sq. ft. would be ideal on a manageable lot again, ideally within city limits would be nice but would be receptive to just outside of town. *** Also my wife wanting to work - need to be within 1/2 hour drive to a medical center and for me, within 1 hour of a VA Medical Center (hopefully a good one).

Thank you!

Old 08-06-2015, 07:54 AM

Quote:
WE are empty nesters late 50's. I am retired on pension and my wife is an MRI Tech and still wants to work.
So we have no family to move, just us.
As far as my heritage it goes back in N.C. to the 1600's - late 1800's. Ever hear of the Thigpen Trail? My 7th great grandfather was Dr. Thigpen the 4th - they lived at Penny Hill and the cemetery is there but the plantation is gone.

Anyway, we just need a 7.5 month residence from Oct. 1 to mid-May and then back to family and especially the grandchildren. Looking for a small town, friendly, on the conservative side, clean, ability to ride my bike or walk to main street to have a cup of coffee or breakfast in a friendly cafe, a movie theater, nice park, and just a small town with real character!

A house that has 1800 - 2200 sq. ft. would be ideal on a manageable lot again, ideally within city limits would be nice but would be receptive to just outside of town. *** Also my wife wanting to work - need to be within 1/2 hour drive to a medical center and for me, within 1 hour of a VA Medical Center (hopefully a good one).

Thank you!
Just to address a few things since you've added detail.

Kings Mountain hits most of your wants. When the VA hospital opens in Charlotte you will be ~an hour away. If your wife is going to be quitting ever few months you'll need lots of options. They can't leave positions open for months. There are hospitals in Shelby, Kings Mountain, Gastonia & Lincolnton. There are urgent cares in Shelby, Kings Mountain, & Gastonia.

There's a mom & pop coffee shop downtown & a restaurant that serves diner-style breakfasts.

The movie theater is now used for community theater. However, the city frequently shows free movies. They aren't current runs. Shelby & Gastonia have theaters for those. The city had a population of 11, 000+ in 2010. The downtown is being revitalized. Patriots Park is downtown & is used for city events. The city is named for the Revolutionary War battle, the Battle of Kings Mountain. The battlefield is a nearby national park.

The city has a website. I suggest that you check it out thoroughly. The Joy Theater is the theater. They present several plays each year including Liberty Mountain which is about the nearby battle & is unique to the town. If you check it out & have questions, start a thread on the Charlotte board.

Old 08-06-2015, 07:59 AM

4,639 posts, read 4,808,414 times
Quote:

Thank you!
I think your wife is going to have a hard time finding a job for 7.5 months each year.

You are describing Southport to a "T", but you'd have to settle for less square feet to stay in your budget.

Old 08-06-2015, 08:08 AM

10,396 posts, read 19,414,647 times
So you might start with a list of VA hospitals in the area to know where you could focus. NC is full of small towns, but many of them are "dried up" and depressing, having seen their heyday 50 years ago as "Mayberrys" but subsequently seen the loss of industry and population flight. You'd never want to choose a town without visiting it first, because things always put their best foot forward on the Internet.

I agree that finding a job, other than temp, for only part of the year is going to be a challenge for your wife. Small towns in particular tend to have the higher unemployment rates of the state.

Otherwise, the vicinity you've been pointed to--generally the area between Charlotte, the Triad, and the mountains, could work for you, but come and visit it to see what you think before considering moving, and scope out the job markets while you're here.

Old 08-06-2015, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadawg2 View Post
I think your wife is going to have a hard time finding a job for 7.5 months each year.

You are describing Southport to a "T", but you'd have to settle for less square feet to stay in your budget.
I agree that having a job for 7.5 months is not going to be a winner. She will be replaced by a long-term employee. However around here between hospitals, urgent cares, & a few other facilities, she should find a few years of employment. At that point, maybe she could find a business partner to open a business downtown. I get the impression that the OP is thinking that NC is like Florida, although I have a 2nd cousin, from Minnesota, who had an older husband. When he retired they bought a 2nd house in NC & would go back to Minnesota for June, July, & August.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina