Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you satisfied with moving to North Carolina
Yes it was fantastic 10 47.62%
It was about so-so 4 19.05%
Nope, I want to go back 7 33.33%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2015, 02:49 PM

783 posts, read 695,411 times

Advertisements

From what I can gather, North Carolina seems to have somewhat Californish qualities. Great university system in Raleigh/Triangle (mini Silicon valley/San Francisco), nice larger city in Charlotte (more LA style), beautiful western country with Asheville (San Luis Obispo/Big Sur) & the outer banks (California Beaches). I know that this is of course not going to be a one to one comparison, but is this somewhat accurate? What do the transplants think of North Carolina after being there? Was it worth it?

I'm asking because I am looking at other regions of the US and it seems that North Carolina has a rare mixture of many of the things that people want. I hear great things about Austin, but it really seems to be an island rather than the norm of the state. In comparison North Carolina seems to me that the norm is much better. (Environment, jobs, potential quality of life etc.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2015, 03:31 PM

1,737 posts, read 2,573,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logicist027 View Post
From what I can gather, North Carolina seems to have somewhat Californish qualities. Great university system in Raleigh/Triangle (mini Silicon valley/San Francisco), nice larger city in Charlotte (more LA style), beautiful western country with Asheville (San Luis Obispo/Big Sur) & the outer banks (California Beaches). I know that this is of course not going to be a one to one comparison, but is this somewhat accurate? What do the transplants think of North Carolina after being there? Was it worth it?

I'm asking because I am looking at other regions of the US and it seems that North Carolina has a rare mixture of many of the things that people want. I hear great things about Austin, but it really seems to be an island rather than the norm of the state. In comparison North Carolina seems to me that the norm is much better. (Environment, jobs, potential quality of life etc.)

You make some interesting comparisons, but California's much better climate is too big a factor to ignore.

Old 08-07-2015, 04:07 PM

13,371 posts, read 27,039,380 times
People are going to give you different answers depending on their reasons for relocating. We retired here from Silver Spring, Maryland for a lower cost of living, and less crowded surroundings. We have that, and I generally enjoy my coastal new home. However, I find I miss many of the urban amenities: libraries, museums, the variety of good restaurants and food.

That's why I voted "so-so".

Old 08-07-2015, 04:54 PM

2,492 posts, read 3,030,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logicist027 View Post

You almost lost me in the first sentence. I see the comparisons your making I wouldn't say the two states are similar versions on opposite coasts. In fact I'd consider them great examples of how 2 places can sound alike on paper but in reality are very different ,especially in scale. Culturally it is like night and day, which effects your life more then any physical landscape.

Old 08-07-2015, 05:04 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,387,152 times
IMO the only thing California and NC have in common is they both have large ocean frontage.

That's it.

Old 08-07-2015, 07:42 PM

2,844 posts, read 2,977,102 times
In kindness friend you're not going to have a good time here if you're looking for a "place like Cali" that's not Cali.

Just stay in cali

Old 08-07-2015, 07:49 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,416,601 times
I see where the OP is coming from. I used to live in CA, and NC reminds me of it a bit. The two states are not similar at all, but they both have mountains/beaches, pretty good weather, and a wide variety of cities. If you had to pick a East Coast California, then North Carolina would be it. They are similar on the surface, but culturally and in other areas? No way.

I don't think the OP is actually expecting NC to be like CA, just that it has a good mixture of all the things one could want...much like California does. Just having mountains is going to be awesome for me, because I haven't been that close to mountains since I lived in CA...so naturally I'd compare NC to CA visually.

Old 08-07-2015, 08:05 PM

2,844 posts, read 2,977,102 times
So you're basically saying coastal states that the Appalachian mtns run through

SC
NC
VA

Northern states....

I'm not sure how one would distinguish va from nc in its Cali likeness

And comparing Charlotte to LA is like soooooooo
Off the mark

Same for triangle and silicon valley

But I know you acknowledged that

In Cali u can go to both right? Because its vertically long not horizontally...

3 hr drive to mtn or beach in cali?

Old 08-07-2015, 09:53 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,336,102 times
Nope. Not alike at all. I lived in LA for a bit. No.

Old 08-07-2015, 11:00 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,806,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_guy View Post
In kindness friend you're not going to have a good time here if you're looking for a "place like Cali" that's not Cali.

Just stay in cali
^This - All day long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina