Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2015, 02:00 PM

353 posts, read 600,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
Wrong: NC chose not to participate in expanded Medicaid. The Heath Insurance subsidy is a federal subsidy, available to every US citizen.
You're correct, I used the wrong terminology there.

Oh, but I think you may be mistaken when you say this individual qualifies for Medicaid in NC. According to the FAQ:

Quote:
Q. Can I receive Medicaid if I don’t have children?
A. Adults (people who are age 21 and over) may be eligible for Medicaid if they are:
� Age 65 or older
� Blind
� Disabled
� The caretaker of (living with and caring for) a child under the age 19 who receives Medicaid
� Pregnant

The OP didn't mention any of these things, so I think she's out of luck.

Last edited by BarLatGo; 08-09-2015 at 02:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2015, 04:34 PM

6,871 posts, read 7,824,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarLatGo View Post
You're correct, I used the wrong terminology there.

Oh, but I think you may be mistaken when you say this individual qualifies for Medicaid in NC. According to the FAQ:

The OP didn't mention any of these things, so I think she's out of luck.
I may be referring to Medicare...I get them mixed up. One is for old people, one is for the poor. I was told to apply for which ever applies to low income people, I did so, and they jerked me around for months, until I went back to the marketplace and started over. But I definitely qualified. In NC it is poorly run so I was willing to do what it took to not have to deal with it. (essentially I had to overestimate my annual income by about $500)

Old 08-09-2015, 10:06 PM

2,492 posts, read 3,016,788 times
Medicaid is for lower income people. Last time I checked you had to fit the qualifications listed above and make less the $400 a month. It is very hard to get Medicaid in this state, most are single mothers and disabled people.

Old 08-10-2015, 10:11 AM

4,983 posts, read 3,273,644 times
Just what everyone needs. Another person who won't support themselves and expects others to and will vote accordingly.

Old 08-10-2015, 11:48 AM

8,875 posts, read 13,847,187 times
Not sure if this is applicable across the board, but a child can stay on a parents health policy until they reach their 26th birthday.

Then it's up to that insurance company as to when their coverage stops (on the birthday or at the end of the month that their 26th birthday falls in).

Old 08-10-2015, 12:34 PM

1,029 posts, read 1,918,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_obody999 View Post
I know someone who is turning 25 very soon, and moving to NC, will be off her parents health care coverage. I just did an estimate for her online and it looks like for someone only making $8000 a year the obamacare premium will cost her close to $2000/year and that is with a $6000 annual deductible. Ouch. I am wondering how single people living in NC in poverty are able to afford the burden of paying $2000 in insurance when only earning $8000 a year? Something seems wrong about this. I checked and it looks like NC does not subsidize the cost of such insurance for people at such a level of poverty. Wow. Am I missing something here?

Shouldn't Healthcare be part of the decision to move to NC? Since NC GA has made the decision not to take the federal money maybe a state that has would be a better fit.

Old 08-10-2015, 10:53 PM

25,118 posts, read 16,092,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I'm just saying that you chose to latch onto a nebulous part of the post. None of us know this person or her circumstances. You chose to zero in & toss recriminations on that person. I chose to zero in on someone who wants to go to Asheville to get in the film industry. Other posters have zeroed in on the same fallacy that I zeroed in on.

So, if the shoe fits put it on. It seems to me that you're OK with someone going to Asheville which was never a center of the film industry, when the film industry in NC has, for all intents & purposes, left the state. But you would rather throw stones at someone.
Well, the question was about healthcare not the film industry. And 8k can be earned in 20 hours a week anywhere in the state of NC. If I misunderstood the OP's question, my apologies.

Old 08-12-2015, 10:16 PM

848 posts, read 1,113,147 times
Low-income workers have to lie on their taxes...like rich people....but instead of hiding income, they have claim they make more than they do. paying the extra taxes is often worth it. A lot of the plans on the exchanges are great and low cost with the tax credits.

Our 28 year old son just finished college in NC but his first year income is less than the threshold. His employer doesn't offer coverage yet. He has had had to make up income to qualify in NC, but United Healthcare Corporation's plan he has is better than the one we have from our Fortune 100 corporate plan.

i wish we could get our company to just write us a check for what they are paying for coverage through an agent. We'd be better off shopping for ourselves on the exchanges.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina