Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2015, 01:28 PM

6 posts, read 11,205 times

Advertisements

This may seem silly, but I've never left Pittsburgh and now that I have an opportunity to live near the beach in Wilmington I'm starting to have big fears about venomous snakes/spiders that seem to be very common in the area. I know that there are snakes in Pittsburgh too, but we don't have nearly as many venomous critters as there are in NC. Other than this particular issue, moving there seems like a dream come true. I'm just having major anxiety about the day when I let them go play in our backyard and they end up getting bitten!! I don't want to live in perpetual fear anytime we hike or walk on trails or visit friends with lots of bushes/shrubbery/tall grass.... any words of wisdom?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2015, 01:39 PM

13,323 posts, read 26,778,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityMama444 View Post
I don't want to live in perpetual fear anytime we hike or walk on trails or visit friends with lots of bushes/shrubbery/tall grass.... any words of wisdom?
Keep the weeds trimmed back, and do a "snake check" before you let the kids out by themselves.

Most snakes are harmless. I don't want to add to your fears, however, a neighbor killed a rattlesnake in the yard.

Old 08-11-2015, 02:07 PM

353 posts, read 599,716 times
Snakes? Yeah, they're crawling all over the place. Alligators in the creeks, sharks in the ocean, poisonous spiders hiding in the house, there's just no place safe around here.

Old 08-11-2015, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarLatGo View Post
Snakes? Yeah, they're crawling all over the place. Alligators in the creeks, sharks in the ocean, poisonous spiders hiding in the house, there's just no place safe around here.
Well gee, THANKS!

Old 08-11-2015, 02:31 PM

4,639 posts, read 6,326,866 times
I've lived in NC 55 years, spent a lot of time outside doing yardwork, camping, hiking, etc. and I've seen one poisonous snake (that I was aware of). I don't even know anyone who's ever been bitten by a poisonous snake. I just don't think its that big of a deal.

Old 08-11-2015, 02:44 PM

2,492 posts, read 3,013,998 times
Seen a few in my years. Never been bitten. My child is 8 and plays outside and has never been bitten. Don't personally know any humans that have but am aware of a couple dog/snake incidents. I imagine in those cases it was the dog who went after the snake. It's just not a day to day issue here.

Old 08-11-2015, 02:45 PM

2,838 posts, read 2,949,893 times
Animals are driven by instinct they dont stalk you or try to hunt you down.

A snake will always prefer to flee than fight a human. Just teach our children to respect animals and you'll be fine.

Maintain your property.

Old 08-11-2015, 03:05 PM

12,798 posts, read 16,206,847 times
You wouldn't send your toddlers out by themselves would you? If you're out there with them you'll see a snake, alligator, shark, rampaging rhino or a bee. The thing about snakes, unlike mountain lions or sharks etc., is they are NOT going to chase you and try to hunt you down. They will only strike if you're in their space -- if you step on them or something. Don't go walking in knee high tall grass barefoot and you should be ok.

Old 08-11-2015, 06:49 PM

Your words are all very encouraging. Ever since I had kids, everything worries me! I'll maintain the grass for certain and get more educated on making my yard 'snake safe'. I'd NEVER let my babies out without me, I'm just saying that we don't have much experience in having snakes around so I don't know how great I'd be at seeing them. Makes me want to live in an apartment, lol.....

Old 08-12-2015, 05:49 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,537,392 times
When I lived in Wilmington I saw a lot of lizards and only one snake in my yard, and it wasn't venomous (my Durham yard is another story - yes to the venomous).

There definitely are alligators in Wilmington but you probably won't see one in your yard

Don't move next to a creek.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina