Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2015, 04:27 AM

4,639 posts, read 6,382,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
Apparently it is a competition. It's obvious Charlotte and Raleigh have more visitors. So I'm not sure what the caveat is. There is no conspiracy to make the urban areas visitor figures inflated vs. the vacation areas. We all know Raleigh, Charlotte, Greensboro & Winston aren't Branson, Missori or Honolulu.
No idea what your point is. I agree its obvious Charlotte and Wake have more visitor spending. What "caveat" are you referring to? What "conspiracy" are you referring to?

Last edited by carolinadawg2; 09-03-2015 at 05:02 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2015, 07:05 AM

3,083 posts, read 4,858,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadawg2 View Post
No idea what your point is. I agree its obvious Charlotte and Wake have more visitor spending. What "caveat" are you referring to? What "conspiracy" are you referring to?
He's referring to the point I was making about the context of the original numbers...that obviously a larger city would have more dollars spent because there are more hotels that carry Business travelers. Certainly the Arena's and Stadiums contribute out of town spending and hotel guests, but you can't assume that 50K actual out of town guests are spending money tonight if that is that is the actual attendance. Many of the those folks are from Charlotte and are attending the game and staying in their own house. Can't see how or why that would be categorized as visitor spending. Same goes with many concerts.

Would love to see numbers that reflect separate business travel from vacation travel....to understand where the most of each occur and how that is contributed to the State's overall economy.

Old 09-03-2015, 09:56 AM

4,980 posts, read 5,395,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
He's referring to the point I was making about the context of the original numbers...that obviously a larger city would have more dollars spent because there are more hotels that carry Business travelers. Certainly the Arena's and Stadiums contribute out of town spending and hotel guests, but you can't assume that 50K actual out of town guests are spending money tonight if that is that is the actual attendance. Many of the those folks are from Charlotte and are attending the game and staying in their own house. Can't see how or why that would be categorized as visitor spending. Same goes with many concerts.

Would love to see numbers that reflect separate business travel from vacation travel....to understand where the most of each occur and how that is contributed to the State's overall economy.

Assuming that only 1/5 of the people who attend and assuming only 50,000 attend (which it already surpassed), that's still 10,000 people. Though this time both USC and UNC are playing so it wouldn't surprise me if a lot of fans from each school came making up over at least 1/2 the attendance. That's still a lot of random visitors on Thursday. I remember when Alabama played I think Georgia last year (they both had red colors), I find it hard to believe most were locals. They were wayyyy too hardcore into the teams to seem local and a lot seemed clueless getting around town. Though there a lot of diehard UNC and USC fans in the area so I think obviously a lot of locals will be there

But it would be interesting to see break down in visitor vs. business. But then Would you consider Carowinds, Emerald Point (or island?) water park, Concerts in Raleigh, Major division games in Greensboro, etc as business or leisure?

Edit: I think Dare Co. Might have the largest percentage of visitor spending. If the sales tax distribution bill changed, Dare stood the most to lose with Charlotte being 2nd or 3rd. The sales tax would've been based on population of county.

Old 09-03-2015, 12:32 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,338,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
When someone repeats an estimate, it is a fact. The fact being that a visitors bureau or whatever estimated visitor spending to be XYZ dollars. To say it's not a Fact would be to say that the visitors bureau never estimated visitor spending to be at XYZ dollars.

And I'm assuming anything that used estimates, you will always dismiss them as irrelevant since it's not concrete fact?
That's just weird. An estimate by definition is NOT a fact. A FACT is a proven truth. An estimate is a best guess. It is not and never will be a FACT. When you can prove an estimate then it's a fact.

As for the USC vs UNC game tonight, there probably are some out of town visitors, but there are tons of fans of both schools in the Charlotte metro area. I'm sure they could fill the stadium w/o any out of towners.

Old 09-03-2015, 12:46 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,338,660 times
If y'all want some more info on how this was estimated check here: https://www.nccommerce.com/tourism/r...ic-impact/teim

and here: https://www.nccommerce.com/tourism/r...travel-tracker
and here: Visit North Carolina | 2015-2016 Strategic Plan | Economic Impact Studies

These are some of the markers they look at, so they probably wouldn't track my day trip down to IKEA from the Triangle:

• Airport deplanements and enplanements
• Hotel/motel occupancy
• Average daily room rates
• Revenue per available room
• Welcome center visits
• Regional visitor centers
• State and national park visits.

Old 09-03-2015, 01:34 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,858,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
If y'all want some more info on how this was estimated check here: https://www.nccommerce.com/tourism/r...ic-impact/teim

and here: https://www.nccommerce.com/tourism/r...travel-tracker
and here: Visit North Carolina | 2015-2016 Strategic Plan | Economic Impact Studies

These are some of the markers they look at, so they probably wouldn't track my day trip down to IKEA from the Triangle:

• Airport deplanements and enplanements
• Hotel/motel occupancy
• Average daily room rates
• Revenue per available room
• Welcome center visits
• Regional visitor centers
• State and national park visits.
That is how they come up with visitor spending?

Welcome Center visits? Really? What if there was no Welcome Center nearby?

Airport deplanements and enplanements? Isnt Charlotte a HUB for USAIR where people come in and take off and never leave the airport? THEY are counted as visitors? Why not just take airport revenue?

And what if there is no commercial airport? Again, it seems the criteria used favors larger cities. If folks from the Triad fly out of the airport and back in, why on earth would they be counted as VISITORS?

Methinks the NC Department of Commerce is trying to inflate numbers for NC...and I'm not surprised.

Old 09-03-2015, 02:44 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,395,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
That's just weird. An estimate by definition is NOT a fact. A FACT is a proven truth. An estimate is a best guess. It is not and never will be a FACT. When you can prove an estimate then it's a fact.

As for the USC vs UNC game tonight, there probably are some out of town visitors, but there are tons of fans of both schools in the Charlotte metro area. I'm sure they could fill the stadium w/o any out of towners.

I was saying its a fact (is that supposed to be capitalized?) that the visitors bureau (or whoever) estimated the visitors totals by county. unless you think it's a lie that the visitors bureau ever estimates those totals
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina