Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2006, 09:18 AM

787 posts, read 3,583,643 times

Advertisements

I have no answers for you on Sandy Fork but it wouldn't surprise me if it existed. Sounds reasonable to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2006, 09:21 AM

192 posts, read 654,863 times
I don't have any info on Sandy Fork either, but Sandy Point, Ridge, etc are common area names in other places..

Old 04-20-2006, 09:21 AM

75 posts, read 268,673 times
Strawberries... yum!

Bethany, you mentioned that the tobacco industry is falling off now... what are the farmers doing to replace it?

In the novel (actually detailed in the second novel, which I've just started writing), there is one farm that has been sold and developed as a subdivision... which caused a great hew and cry in the community. Randy's girlfriend lives there... she and her mother moved there from Raleigh. Swimming pool, bermuda sod, typical traditional-style homes... surrounded by tobacco fields and little residential areas with single-story brick ranch homes... three bedrooms, one bath. Randy lives in one of these.

I'm going to PM you both a section of the story that describes the area. If you have the time and are willing, could you help me to get it right? It's not very long....

Old 04-20-2006, 09:31 AM

192 posts, read 654,863 times
Quote:
caused a great hew and cry
never heard that expression!

Sorry, I keep the PM & the email contact cut off on this forum so you'd not be able to reach me that way. It's not you, it's just that I've encountered some I'd rather never know how to contact me here.

I stronly discourage you from posting your email address on the thread...that's a bit risky these days.

Old 04-20-2006, 09:32 AM

Oh and let me tell you this story that involved a man named Raymond that we called Junior all the time. He had a country store and it was across the narrow street called School Street where the buses parked to let off the students during the school day. At this point, the high school was at the school as well as a shop class that the boys loved nothing better than to skip to go to the store for a cigarette or a drink. One day, Junior saw the shop instructor heading his way. There he was with about 20 boys that were where they weren't suppose to be. His solution? The bread truck was outside delivering bread. He had them all go back into the back room, he distracted Mr. Bulter while the boys piled into the back of the bread truck. When asked about the boys, Junior said "Do you see any of your boys?" So the bread truck goes to the back of the ag building the boys pile out. By the time Mr. Bulter had finished his interrigation of Junior, they were in the builiding doing what they were suppose to be doing, leaving Mr. Bulter to wonder what in the heck had happened.

Old 04-20-2006, 09:34 AM

Cotton mostly is replacing tobacco. They bought out most of the allotments in a huge plan to eliminate tobacco as the primary money maker around here. Soy beans are big as well as peanuts. Yes I would be more than happy to help you.

Old 04-20-2006, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckydog
never heard that expression!

Sorry, I keep the PM & the email contact cut off on this forum so you'd not be able to reach me that way. It's not you, it's just that I've encountered some I'd rather never know how to contact me here.

I stronly discourage you from posting your email address on the thread...that's a bit risky these days.
I just found that out! LOL

I have to be real careful how much of the novel I post on the Internet, because I could jeapardize my being able to offer first publishing rights. Some publishers are very picky about that.

I've no idea where "hew and cry" came from. Let me put it this way... they did not like it one little bit!

Old 04-20-2006, 09:41 AM

Bethany, that's so funny! And so typical of boys, isn't it? LOL

Randy is basically a good boy, and Martin is disgustingly squeaky clean! Randy starts getting into trouble his senior year in high school... the biggest thing was coming home drunk one night, and then running away from home when he felt the punishment was too strict. (Remember, this story has a heavy Christian slant to it, and Randy's daddy is a preacher, so he's seriously BUSTED for his indiscretions.)

Old 04-20-2006, 09:50 AM

And when you read my take on Randy and Brent from the PM I sent you, you'll see why his punishment was so strict.

Old 04-20-2006, 11:29 AM

143 posts, read 485,575 times
I believe the expression is "hue and cry." I've seen that before.
From Wikipedia:
"At common law, a hue and cry (Latin, hutesium et clamor) was a process by which bypassers were summoned to assist in the apprehension of a criminal who had been witnessed in the act of committing a felony."
It is most commonly used today in connection with finding something or someone to blame for an undesireable situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina