U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2006, 01:55 PM

2,536 posts, read 8,356,582 times

Advertisements

better clarify that to read: Sweet TEA & Red Velvet CAKE

Old 04-20-2006, 05:06 PM

1,611 posts, read 4,407,378 times
We are having similar issues in NY to those of GMB in CA, we just work too hard for too little.

We ar e achurch going family which makes us a minority in our community. I twas different when I was growing up. It will be weird to be in the majority, although we are not Baptist, but I am looking forward to not having to downplay this part of our lives. In NY it can be a detriment in your career or socially to be a church goer.

Old 04-21-2006, 10:47 PM

3 posts, read 15,132 times
GMB and LovetheCarolinas, I'm interested in where you live/lived in CA. We live in Ventura County and recently made an offer in Marion, NC after debating the move for over a year. My husband was offered a job in Asheville so he will still have a bit of a drive from the area. This has been a very informative thread for me. I, also, am a non-church going Christian and I'm a little concerned about how that will be accepted in Marion. However, the people we have met there are all so nice, so caring and very polite. I intend to be respectful of their lifestyles and hope that I will receive the same treatment, in kind.

For those of you who are making the move from CA or already have, I'd love to share information as far as the HUGE move we're about to make cross-country and welcome any tips. (We have 2 kids, 4 cats, a dog and a bird.)

Thank you!

Also, thank you to all of the native north carolinians and recent transplants for shedding some light on the "Bible Belt." We're hopefully moving in June, after the kids finish the school year. I will continue to check this site for more information!

Old 04-22-2006, 12:31 AM
gmb gmb started this thread

45 posts, read 269,972 times
BlueRidgeBound - where are you in Ventura County? I lived in Ventura County for 20 years in both Ojai and Ventura. I now live in Santa Barbara. We have heard great things about Asheville and it being an easier adjustment for people new to NC, but I have also heard the job market isn't that great which is why we are leaning more towards checking out the Raleigh or Winston-Salem area. I am now a bit nervous about Winston-Salem because of their crime stats on the internet! I have only been able to research NC online, so I really don't know what to think at this point. You are right, this message board sure helps to learn more about this great state. We are hopeful to make a trip either this summer or at least by December.

Old 04-22-2006, 01:26 AM

57 posts, read 316,464 times
GMB.... My family and I live in Florida and I can definetly relate to what you are going through with respect to the price of homes, the schools, the traffic, the air quality...etc....

My family and I are moving to Rock Hill South Carolina (just 15 minutes south of Charlotte) as soon as our home saleshere. ( I was born in south carolina but raised her in florida) I cant wait to return there. We were visiting there during spring break...and truly hated to have to come back to Florida. Everyone there is so nice and polite....and not one time did a motorist blow their horn while we were traveling the streets and highways...

I agree with the other threads that were posted in regard to you not going to church or being involved in a church. However I am looking forward to getting involved in a church there - but people will treat you the same whether you are in church or not...

good luck to you and your family.

Old 04-22-2006, 05:58 PM

2,536 posts, read 8,356,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRidgeBound
GMB and LovetheCarolinas, I'm interested in where you live/lived in CA. We live in Ventura County and recently made an offer in Marion, NC after debating the move for over a year. My husband was offered a job in Asheville so he will still have a bit of a drive from the area. This has been a very informative thread for me. I, also, am a non-church going Christian and I'm a little concerned about how that will be accepted in Marion. However, the people we have met there are all so nice, so caring and very polite. I intend to be respectful of their lifestyles and hope that I will receive the same treatment, in kind.

For those of you who are making the move from CA or already have, I'd love to share information as far as the HUGE move we're about to make cross-country and welcome any tips. (We have 2 kids, 4 cats, a dog and a bird.)

Thank you!

Also, thank you to all of the native north carolinians and recent transplants for shedding some light on the "Bible Belt." We're hopefully moving in June, after the kids finish the school year. I will continue to check this site for more information!

We were located about an 1 1/2 hours south from Ventura, in the L.A. county area. Can't really comment to much on the area you are looking to relocate to...as we have yet to make it up there (there is just so much to see and do in the Carolina's...we are like kids in a candy store). What I seem to hear the most regarding the Asheville area (beside it being really pretty) is the lack of job opportunities (so if hubby has one lined up already...way to Go!)

Old 04-23-2006, 09:44 AM

110 posts, read 126,170 times
During my recent visit to Raleigh, I ran into so many friendly strangers. If it was their living in the "Bible Belt" that brought this on- great! I have to say I also saw many Synagogues and Temples as well. My husband who is from England was wary of the "churchy" people he has seen in the movies, and we didn't run into any. As I ventured alone, outside of the city, there were some, but they didn't try to stone me or anything for not looking for church to join! I've lived all over, and if some people want fishes on their cars (which by the way I think gives them "permission" to drive slow in the passing lanes), or wear Jesus shirts, they shouldn't mind that I opening don't believe in structured religion. (oh... I don't have any anti-religion tee shirts) I won't be frustrated by those who believe their way is the only way. What and how I believe is for me... I won't try to impress my beliefs on others as I don't want them to do it to me... We will get along just fine!

Old 04-24-2006, 05:18 PM

1,472 posts, read 3,668,849 times
I am a Christian. The major denomination here is Southern Baptist. This is not some "cult" as some have alluded to. Church is the social fabric of many communities here. The churches here help out tremendously with local social services as well.

I have noticed over the years, (mainly because of the huge relocations here) that Catholic churches are becoming more common, something extremely rare a few years ago. Also Methodists and Presbyterians.

Old 04-24-2006, 06:44 PM

75 posts, read 246,230 times
I think the problem is Hollywood and shady televangelists. I've lived in the "Bible Belt" for over 20 years and I have never experienced the kind of thing that people seem to be so afraid of. I've been a Christian for five years, and the friends I have developed in that time are some of the warmest, most sincere and kind people I have ever known.

The problem isn't religion... the problem is people not taking the time to understand each other... on both sides of the equation.

Cheers,
Diana

Old 04-24-2006, 07:18 PM
JAS

570 posts, read 1,776,546 times
Default Don't scared off

Although it is likely that you will at some time be invited by someone to visit a church, it's really not that big of a deal. Generally speaking, the larger the town, the less you will notice the "Bible belt" way of life.

NC is a traditionally Protestant state (mostly Baptist, Methodist, Presbyterian) with a growing Catholic population due to newcomers, but you will find virtually any type of religious organization in the major cities. And if you choose to keep to yourself and not become involved with anything, most people won't think anything of it.

One interesting note for those of the Jewish faith - Greensboro has a very active and influential Jewish community since many of the business leaders who turned GSO into an important business center in the early/mid 1900's were Jewish. There is a Jewish boarding school (American Hebrew Academy) that was formed a few years ago. This may not sound too impressive for most large cities in America, but southern cities generally aren't known for their large Jewish populations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or