U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2006, 07:31 PM

1,611 posts, read 3,165,148 times
Here in NY we have lots of faith communities in close proximity which can often lead to conflict. You see, if you preach that your way is the only way but you do not encounter too many people who believe differently, you can get along well, but here, many Baptists go door to door and say that Catholics and Jews are not being saved. Now, if they say it in church that is one thing but when they come up to people & say it, well, it gets a tad uncomfortable. As an Episcopalian I am often seen as *not quite* Catholic, but dangerously close to it...
Most of my neighbors are lapsed in their practice of any faith, & they get very uncomfortable when I mention a church activity, as if I am about to pounce & somehow attack them, which I am not, but if they are open to coming along with me, hey that is great!

Old 04-25-2006, 04:29 AM

192 posts, read 418,461 times
I've never known Baptists to go door to door here (eastern NC), but it's really common for Jehovah Witnesses & Mormons to.

If you don't answer the door, they will likely return on another day, until the door is answered. If you simply answer & kindly say...thank you for visiting, but I'm a devout "born again Christian" (insert your own faith). Typically, the visit ends quickly then, although they will likely attempt to hand you literature anyway. If you just do not engage in a discussion of beliefs & state that you are happy & firm in yours, it all goes quite respectfully, from both directions.

Old 04-25-2006, 06:05 AM

273 posts, read 658,571 times
From everything I've read, this sounds like my kind of place. My husband and I actually thought seriously about CA at one point but after researching the cost of living there vs. NC/SC we have swiftly changed our course. The more I hear about how expensive it is to live in CA the more I realize how difficult it would be to manage out there. I have to also say that the people in these forums are much friendlier than some of the CA forums I visited in the past. It was easy to tell that there is an over population problem and new residents are not welcome.

Old 04-25-2006, 08:21 AM

889 posts, read 2,063,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanna_house
From everything I've read, this sounds like my kind of place. My husband and I actually thought seriously about CA at one point but after researching the cost of living there vs. NC/SC we have swiftly changed our course. The more I hear about how expensive it is to live in CA the more I realize how difficult it would be to manage out there. I have to also say that the people in these forums are much friendlier than some of the CA forums I visited in the past. It was easy to tell that there is an over population problem and new residents are not welcome.
The overpoulation is immigrants that have taxed schools and social programs.
And i am saying this with no disrespect to them as they are a hard working group of people.
It's simply not the case to say that new residents are not welcome. Believe
me, nobody pays attention to who is comming or going. People here are friendly.The cost of living here is unfortuantly expensive in terms of the housing market. Thats whats driving us out.We simply cannot move up to a better home without being choked to death financially.
So looking into NC is a wise choice in comparision to Calif.
You should take a trip there and check it out first.

Old 04-25-2006, 10:00 AM

1,611 posts, read 3,165,148 times
Thanks for the info, Lucky Dog. We have Jehovah's Witnesses coming around too but not Mormons for some reason. I think the Baptists evangelize here b/c of declining attendance.
Like I wrote much further up the tread, I am actually looking forward to a more religious environment than the one I am leaving, I am not looking recreate Long Island. I fI wanted that I would not be leaving!!!!

Old 04-25-2006, 12:03 PM

1,679 posts, read 2,828,218 times
Jehovah's Witnesses , Mormons are the same thing.

Old 04-25-2006, 12:53 PM

192 posts, read 418,461 times
If they are the same, I never realized it. Here, they certainly worship in different churches. Perhaps their religions have similarities. I have no idea, but I have no wish to debate them.

In this area...
The Jehovah Witnesses send their local members out door to door. They hand out their own literature.

The Mormons send young male missionaries, on bikes/walking, dressed in white & black, carrying the Book of Mormon.

Old 04-25-2006, 04:01 PM

273 posts, read 658,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mvn2nc
The overpoulation is immigrants that have taxed schools and social programs.
And i am saying this with no disrespect to them as they are a hard working group of people.
It's simply not the case to say that new residents are not welcome. Believe
me, nobody pays attention to who is comming or going. People here are friendly.The cost of living here is unfortuantly expensive in terms of the housing market. Thats whats driving us out.We simply cannot move up to a better home without being choked to death financially.
So looking into NC is a wise choice in comparision to Calif.
You should take a trip there and check it out first.
I believe that. Just some of the responses I got when I was asking for advice on moving to CA were like "We don't need more people here" and "Please don't move, it's crowded enough". The only friendly/helpful replies I got were from people who had relocated there recently. I don't want to judge a whole state by some silly forum discussions, just that I was surprised by how friendly and helpful everyone was on the NC boards in comparison.

Oh and my husband and I are planning to possibly take a trip out there at the end of May. That would definitely be ideal. We lived in Virginia Beach for a couple years in the early nineties and it will be interesting to compare the areas. We loved it in Virginia but would also like to try something new this time around. Thanks!

Old 04-25-2006, 06:30 PM

75 posts, read 174,255 times
This isn't the proper place to engage in this kind of discussion but... the Jehovah's Witnesses and the Mormons are not the same, and each group would be highly insulted by the comparison. However, both do engage heavily in door-to-door soliciting. Their doctrines, however, are vastly different.

I live in Canton, Georgia (I am writing a novel based in North Carolina, which is why I'm hanging out on this forum! ) I have had several faith groups come to my door, but those who were Baptist or Lutheran or whatever were simply folks from new churches inviting people to attend their services. I've also had Jehovah's Witnesses come to the door... these people wanted to convert me. In either case, these people were no more of a bother to me than a kid selling Girl Scout cookies. So I think the "trouble" comes in the way a person responds to the person at the door.

By the way... the way to get the JWs or the Mormons to stop coming to your door is to try to evangelize THEM! They are actually looking for Christians who are not strong in their faith, because these people are already open to talking about the Bible, but cannot adequately defend the reasons why they believe what they believe. But if you can adequately argue doctine with them, they're not going to invest their time in you.

Cheers,
Diana

Old 04-25-2006, 07:59 PM

1,215 posts, read 2,454,353 times
Mormons and Jehovas Witnesses are very different, I agree this is not the place for this type of discussion though so Ill make it short. I have only had about 3 visits from Jehovas Witnesses (no Mormons) in 10 years. They do not argue and I kindly told them I am a Christian.

" no more of a bother to me than a kid selling girl scout cookies. " Very true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina