U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2006, 03:27 AM

3 posts, read 15,136 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmb
BlueRidgeBound - where are you in Ventura County? I lived in Ventura County for 20 years in both Ojai and Ventura. I now live in Santa Barbara. We have heard great things about Asheville and it being an easier adjustment for people new to NC, but I have also heard the job market isn't that great which is why we are leaning more towards checking out the Raleigh or Winston-Salem area. I am now a bit nervous about Winston-Salem because of their crime stats on the internet! I have only been able to research NC online, so I really don't know what to think at this point. You are right, this message board sure helps to learn more about this great state. We are hopeful to make a trip either this summer or at least by December.
GMB, we live in Thousand Oaks, which is one hour south of Santa Barbara. I've lived there all my life, went to college at UCSB and Chico. My parents lived in Ojai for awhile, Matilija Estates. Very pretty out there.

My husband has a job lined up in Asheville already. It will be about a 40 minute drive, but more scenic than the 118 or the 405. I will go back to staying home with the kids, which is a huge part of the reason for the move. I worked for 2 years, stayed home for 5 and then had to go back for the last 2. I'm not willing to do it anymore, I'm ready to make a BIG change in order to raise my own children. It's just the right choice for me. Marion reminds me or what Thousand Oaks was 30 years ago, when I was a kid, only with more history and prettier buildings.

We visited in February. We weren't sure if we were going to get the chance, but when hubby got the interview, we figured it was just the extra airfare, so I went, too, and mom watched the kids. (She's retiring in 3 months and I'm planning on taking her, too - she's fighting me, but I think I'll win.) Asheville is touted as a very open-minded, cultural, beautiful and artsy place. It seemed to be all of the above. Marion is a small town, very friendly and also beautiful. We were there during a wintery mix and found it comfortable and refeshing, despite having been spoiled by mostly constant weather during most of my lifetime.

We just received an offer on our house today, which is why I'm typing away at this hour. I'm so excited -- I can't sleep! I'll keep you updated. Please let me know if you'd like any other information you think I can provide, from a SoCal perspective. We visited Morganton, also. Equally beautiful. Asheville is definitely more "city like" than the other two I mentioned.

Take care!

Old 05-02-2006, 04:52 AM

2,657 posts, read 7,190,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRidgeBound
Marion is a small town, very friendly and also beautiful. We were there during a wintery mix and found it comfortable and refeshing, despite having been spoiled by mostly constant weather during most of my lifetime.
When you get the chance, after moving to Marion, check out SR80. It forks off of Hwy 70 heading toward Old Fort. It will take you to the Blue Ridge Parkway and Mt. Mitchell. Might want to fortify yourself with anti-puke pills if you have a queasy stomach on curves it's a very narrow, twisty road that has a steep ascent into the mountains. Very much a roller coaster ride kind of road

Old 05-02-2006, 03:35 PM
gmb gmb started this thread

45 posts, read 269,998 times
BlueRidgeBound - Congrads on the sale of your house! I have tons of friends in Thousand Oaks, Moorpark, Simi Valley, Camarillo, etc. I use to work near TO. I am sure you made a killing on your house. We aren't as fortunate since we are renters, but my husband will be flying out in June for some interviews. We are excited about the prospect of being a home owner in NC, something we fcan't even consider here. I have heard nothing but good things about Asheville. We are focusing more on the Triad area and Raleigh because of more employment opportunities, otherwise we would have loved to consider Asheville. Good luck to you!!!

Old 10-12-2006, 07:39 AM

4 posts, read 20,029 times
Regarding the Informer's post, shown below:

Thank you for a very accurate post. We felt NC (W-S) was Ok, but just OK. We lived in the Greensboro/Winston-Salem area for 7 years. At this moment I can count 12 couples/families that we know of that relocated to NC and 7 of them did not like it, 5 have moved back to their prior area of residence and the other 2 are stuck. These are highly educated warm people from CA, the northeaset and midwest, not the "stereotypic yankees" that some have mentioned. Based on my experience and converstaions with many that have have moved to the southeast, I feel strongly that the majority of people that move to the southeast will not like it unless some of their formative years were spent there.

>The bible belt is indeed real
>There is more discrimination than you will find elsewhere
>If you are tying to compare the schools to the northeast, there is simply no comparison. Underqualified teachers, very, very low salaries, low budgets and ovecrowded schools.

People are people everywhere you go; there is no special place wherein everyone is nice or everyone is rude, BUT the southeast remains more significantly different than the rest of the country due to the points noted above. Therefore, adjustment to that region if it is competely new to you will be difficult in most cases and that is also why the culture shock is necessarily something that newcomers will experience.

One more note: Southern hospitality exists in the small towns in the southeast just as the same behaviour exists in small towns in PA, OH, NY or northern CA. It is not logical to compare experiences in some small southeastern town to a large northeastern or other city. if you compare apples to apples, e.g. large city to large city and small town to small town, you will find very similar interactions and experiences.

We have some dear friends that are from the south and most still live there, but three of them have moved through professional relocations to the northeast and they love it; say they would never go back. These people moved from big cities, Raleigh and Charlotte to other big cities, Pittsburgh and Cincinatti; they were not expecting any radical differences and none exist.

People are people.

I have to put in my 2 or 3 cents at risk of being moderated by the moderators.

"Many responses mentioned the fact that it will be quite different from CA because it is the bible belt". the individual that penned this response was being very polite to say the least.

In a nut shell - My wife and I have lived in 7 different states (due to various jobs over the years ) and over the last 23 years traveled throughout the U.S. - and by far the most challenging place to live has been in the Southeastern to mid-Atlantic region, notably central N.C. and Northern FL.

I'am sure that a lot of people will disagree, however these have been our experiences:

Religion in the "belt" is quite rampant to the point of it being like a cult. People will try to get you to join their church, while non-church goers are looked down at.

Discrimination certainly hasn't taken a hit either.

Antiquated laws still exist and some are even still enforced.

Want to feel isolated for not belonging or worse yet - trying to be an individual.

Culture shock - no doubt about it. Southern Cal to North Carolina - yow, better be well prepared for it.

The school system is pathetic - I read a few of my sons text books and some of the books didn't have a grasp of the English language.

The "L" word - not from what we experienced. L=Liberal mentality. Have to look in the western states for that one.

Maybe you are adaptable to these conditions. My wife is from the upper midwest and the most adaptable and tolerant woman I have ever known ( she has put up with me for almost 25 years - lol ) but she refuses to even talk about the times that we lived there (around 7 years total).

Maybe you like challenges - fine - give it a shot. I urge you to do your studying about the region before you take the plunge.

I wish you the best of luck.

Old 10-12-2006, 08:10 AM

10,017 posts, read 17,025,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jama View Post
Regarding the Informer's post, shown below:

Thank you for a very accurate post. We felt NC (W-S) was Ok, but just OK. We lived in the Greensboro/Winston-Salem area for 7 years. At this moment I can count 12 couples/families that we know of that relocated to NC and 7 of them did not like it, 5 have moved back to their prior area of residence and the other 2 are stuck. These are highly educated warm people from CA, the northeaset and midwest, not the "stereotypic yankees" that some have mentioned. Based on my experience and converstaions with many that have have moved to the southeast, I feel strongly that the majority of people that move to the southeast will not like it unless some of their formative years were spent there.

>The bible belt is indeed real
>There is more discrimination than you will find elsewhere
>If you are tying to compare the schools to the northeast, there is simply no comparison. Underqualified teachers, very, very low salaries, low budgets and ovecrowded schools.

People are people everywhere you go; there is no special place wherein everyone is nice or everyone is rude, BUT the southeast remains more significantly different than the rest of the country due to the points noted above. Therefore, adjustment to that region if it is competely new to you will be difficult in most cases and that is also why the culture shock is necessarily something that newcomers will experience.

One more note: Southern hospitality exists in the small towns in the southeast just as the same behaviour exists in small towns in PA, OH, NY or northern CA. It is not logical to compare experiences in some small southeastern town to a large northeastern or other city. if you compare apples to apples, e.g. large city to large city and small town to small town, you will find very similar interactions and experiences.

We have some dear friends that are from the south and most still live there, but three of them have moved through professional relocations to the northeast and they love it; say they would never go back. These people moved from big cities, Raleigh and Charlotte to other big cities, Pittsburgh and Cincinatti; they were not expecting any radical differences and none exist.

People are people.

I have to put in my 2 or 3 cents at risk of being moderated by the moderators.

"Many responses mentioned the fact that it will be quite different from CA because it is the bible belt". the individual that penned this response was being very polite to say the least.

In a nut shell - My wife and I have lived in 7 different states (due to various jobs over the years ) and over the last 23 years traveled throughout the U.S. - and by far the most challenging place to live has been in the Southeastern to mid-Atlantic region, notably central N.C. and Northern FL.

I'am sure that a lot of people will disagree, however these have been our experiences:

Religion in the "belt" is quite rampant to the point of it being like a cult. People will try to get you to join their church, while non-church goers are looked down at.

Discrimination certainly hasn't taken a hit either.

Antiquated laws still exist and some are even still enforced.

Want to feel isolated for not belonging or worse yet - trying to be an individual.

Culture shock - no doubt about it. Southern Cal to North Carolina - yow, better be well prepared for it.

The school system is pathetic - I read a few of my sons text books and some of the books didn't have a grasp of the English language.

The "L" word - not from what we experienced. L=Liberal mentality. Have to look in the western states for that one.

Maybe you are adaptable to these conditions. My wife is from the upper midwest and the most adaptable and tolerant woman I have ever known ( she has put up with me for almost 25 years - lol ) but she refuses to even talk about the times that we lived there (around 7 years total).

Maybe you like challenges - fine - give it a shot. I urge you to do your studying about the region before you take the plunge.

I wish you the best of luck.

Wow we had the very same experience ,we are from Oregon, and most of the couples we met there from other regions are going home or some where else as well. I cant get my husband to talk about it as well.

Old 10-12-2006, 09:07 AM

1,865 posts, read 4,794,993 times
In our months of househunting, all we ever saw were Baptist, Methodists, Presbyterian & Christian churches. I was beginning to think Catholic churches were nonexistent until I asked. We were in the Town Hall for Cornelius & I politely asked a gentleman there if he knew of any Catholic churches in the Lake Norman area. He laughed & told me,"Honey, you're in the Bible Belt!" After he composed himself, he did tell me where I could find a few (& far between) Catholic Churches. I've attended Mass several times now & I can say, it is different than it was in NY. NY is more reserved, where in NC, the service is more progressive, everyone signs & it's more "touchy-feely". It's a nice difference, but I was a bit taken back at my first Mass here.

Old 10-12-2006, 09:09 AM

[QUOTE. NY is more reserved, where in NC, the service is more progressive, everyone signs & it's more "touchy-feely". It's a nice difference, but I was a bit taken back at my first Mass here.[/quote]

OOPS!!!! Everyone SINGS....not signs! Must not have had enough coffee this morning! LOL!!!

Old 10-12-2006, 10:28 AM

108 posts, read 346,855 times
Default Glad to read this thread

As a non-Christian I have read that new-agers and Pagans gallor are flocking to Asheville area, which is a very eco-minded and liberal area, I myself am planning to move there or in that area out west.

It's SC I hear is strongly religous. One gas station there ( I don't know the city ) almost did not let me fill up because my friend's bumpersticker read 'blessed be'

Unbeleiveable I know it sounds, so do a lot of research before you move!!

Old 10-12-2006, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianalee4jc View Post
By the way... the way to get the JWs or the Mormons to stop coming to your door is to try to evangelize THEM! They are actually looking for Christians who are not strong in their faith, because these people are already open to talking about the Bible, but cannot adequately defend the reasons why they believe what they believe. But if you can adequately argue doctine with them, they're not going to invest their time in you.

Cheers,
Diana
This statement brought to mind a funny story. While living in NY, some JW's came knocking on our door one Sunday afternoon. My brother, who is a Catholic priest, had come over to visit after Mass & was still wearing his clericals. He answered the door & the JW's tried to convert him! They told him that eventhough he was a "Man of the Cloth", he was still doomed to Hell because he wasn't a JW. They all had a good laugh at the door & went on their way to the next house.

BxRosie

Old 10-12-2006, 10:35 AM

108 posts, read 346,855 times
Rosie,

Lake Norman area (Is that Mooresville?) is bible belt? Shoot, I love the area and the best schools are there too.

There is no Unitarian church in Mooresville, at least from what I see online, which disapoints me greatly, but there must have been at least 200 other churches for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or