U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2006, 01:45 AM

259 posts, read 1,094,310 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BxRosie View Post
This statement brought to mind a funny story. While living in NY, some JW's came knocking on our door one Sunday afternoon. My brother, who is a Catholic priest, had come over to visit after Mass & was still wearing his clericals. He answered the door & the JW's tried to convert him! They told him that eventhough he was a "Man of the Cloth", he was still doomed to Hell because he wasn't a JW. They all had a good laugh at the door & went on their way to the next house.

BxRosie
Thats interesting, JW's don't even believe in Hell, at least not the way Christians do. For them there is no afterlife except with God, all others souls simply cease to exist. In essence they aren't really attempting to "save" you from anything when they preach to you on your doorstep, they are merely inviting you to live in "Paradise on Earth" one day with all the saints instead of..... your soul ceasing to exist if you don't join up. I have their books on my shelf, as well as their arbitrarily modified verson of the Bible.

It stands at odds with the New Testament and well..... stuff Jesus Himself said in the NT to say the least.

Sorry, but had to point that out.

Old 10-13-2006, 03:54 AM

108 posts, read 346,831 times
<<<Who is the protector behind the pentacle? Just curious off top but interesting.<<<

I am up early this morning!
Well, the protector behind the pentacle is not much different than other religions, it is the Creator, but which is not seen as a man, but as the all...the everything...male and female, and everything that is good...but I can't speak for all Wiccans. I have been following more of a Buddhist path, but my life is happy and magical indeed.

Mooreville is looking better and better, less crime and great schools from what I read. Too bad we can't post links. We are moving in May for sure!! We are just not 100% sure of where yet. I just love western NC.

Last edited by Teressah; 10-13-2006 at 04:00 AM.. Reason: added sentence

Old 10-13-2006, 04:13 AM

<<< used to fall into mimicking an NC accent, now I can't tell you the last time I heard one. I think you'd have some culture shock coming to Charlotte from CA, but not much more than you'd have moving to any area of the country from CA. It feels like there are more New Yorkers and Ohioans here now than Southerners.<<<

And here I am orginally from Ohio...moved to FL...and now to NC...I'm a half-back! I am feeling better about moving by reading these wonderful posts...I don't think I will feel like a fish out of water. I really think no matter where you were born, if people are in a location like NC for it's sheer beauty..they are good people!

Old 10-13-2006, 06:00 AM

1,611 posts, read 4,407,378 times
[quote=Teressah;123943...if people are in a location like NC for it's sheer beauty..they are good people![/quote]

You have to seek out that sort of person anywhere you go, seek and ye shall find!

Old 10-13-2006, 08:57 AM

That is true Nyer, so true!

Old 10-13-2006, 09:09 AM

956 posts, read 4,074,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm34b View Post
I think this is a pretty good description of the term.

A Bible Belt is an area in which socially conservative Christian Evangelical Protestantism is a pervasive or dominant part of the culture. The term "Bible Belt" was coined by the American journalist and social commentator, H.L. Mencken, in the early 1920s.

In particular, in the United States, it is the region where the Southern Baptist Convention denomination is strongest. It includes the entire South and nearby areas. Bible belts can also be found in other countries, including Canada and some parts of Europe. The name is derived from the heavy emphasis on literal interpretations of the Bible in Evangelical denominations.
I was a pastor in NC for 12 years. While the piedmont is much more diverse now than 15 or 20 years ago, I can assure you that you are never too far from a fundamentalist church. Not a negative or an indictment, just a fact.

Old 10-13-2006, 09:11 AM

1,574 posts, read 4,356,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fromcenFL View Post
Thats interesting, JW's don't even believe in Hell, at least not the way Christians do. For them there is no afterlife except with God, all others souls simply cease to exist. In essence they aren't really attempting to "save" you from anything when they preach to you on your doorstep, they are merely inviting you to live in "Paradise on Earth" one day with all the saints instead of..... your soul ceasing to exist if you don't join up. I have their books on my shelf, as well as their arbitrarily modified verson of the Bible.

It stands at odds with the New Testament and well..... stuff Jesus Himself said in the NT to say the least.

Sorry, but had to point that out.
Thanks for that info, fromcenFL. I was pretty clueless about what the JWs believe. Very interesting!

Growing up I had (JW) neighbors who lost a son in his early 20's. It seemed that they did not even grieve after he died. They kept talking about his being in "paradise". As a child, I thought it was the most bizarre thing. I've never forgotten how they almost looked happy.

Old 10-20-2006, 06:43 PM

2 posts, read 16,043 times
Wink reply to christianity in nc.

I have lived here all my life in the western part of nc. Yes, it is totally not like southern Calif., or anywhere in Calif. I have someone in my life from San Diego, Calif. He explained that the culture is very different than ours and beliefs. I do know in California almost anything goes no matter what it is. Sure the deep south and mid southeast is going to be different in beliefs. Just as the North is different from the south and the west is far from the east. So is the religion, but christianity is a different story, by no means is southern baptist a cult and yes most everyone here cares about others and is nice to invite others to church. I much believe that if we did not invite you into our churches we would be hipocritical and you would think we are stuck up. There are different religions here and people of all walks of life have moved here. The crime is lots less than other places just do some research you have the internet which is an eye to the whole world. Everything is at your hands and right in front of you. To me it is not an educated answer to be bias and not open to more than just a few opinions. I watch TV and we don't believe much different than most christians. Like I said: There are different types of religions of christianity like baptist, southern baptist no religion churches, missionary baptist churches, free will baptist, mormons, latter day saints, greek churches, cathlotics and I could go on and on. It is just like anywhere some people are stronger in their beliefs than others on certain issues and some live it more than others but thats just being free. Some people push their beliefs on others but that also goes on everywhere about all issues. In my opinion your are welcome to come share North Carolina with us and enjoy however you would like to worship or not. You are free to do whatever you choose whereever you go in the U.S. The bible belt mearly means that this is an area that christianity is praticed by a lot of people in a small area. Now that is not to say that you can't find people that pratice anything goes, that's everywhere. I hope I have enlightened you on this issue. Please do not be offended you see some people think that a certain way is the only way and I'm not so sure that anyone knows it all about anything, by far we all have something to learn. I can tell you without a degree in something jobs that pay well are hard to get in North Carolina. I am a baptist and thats my religion but my belief in God is of a Christian. No matter what people may think or believe, their is a living God and is in control and always will be. It is possible that you could turn to him for all your guidance he will not lead you wrong and it will be the right answers for you. We as people are human and we make a lot of mistakes and I can tell you about an area but pretty much the US. is the same but other countries are another story. Peoples opinions are merly just opinions and may not be truthful because of beliefs or other reasons and as you know the bigger the city the more people from all walks of life. I personally would not worry about a place that praticed christianity and trys to be nice to others. I would worry if I were to move to a place where they did not belief there is a God and prayed to a statue or a rock or an animal. Ha! Ha! But you are welcome and we won't bother you. See you in Heaven.

Last edited by levig; 10-20-2006 at 06:53 PM.. Reason: words spelled wrong.

Old 10-20-2006, 07:44 PM

73 posts, read 265,131 times
Default You Are Welcome Here In North Carolina

Hello,
Well after reading many of the responses, I felt the need to reply. You would certainly not be looked down upon. Many folk's in North Carolina do not attend church. I do not attend church myself, but that doesn't mean that I do not believe in god, because I certainly do. I also believe in his word, and I read it. I feel that people shouldn't be insulted or feel bad about church member's inviting new people to come to their church. As christain's truly that is what they are suppose to do is welcome you, should in case you would like to attend. I don't believe they leave your door step saying bad thing's about you if you prefer not to attend. Now, would they really be christian's if they did that? I don't think so. I feel that living in the bible belt mean's to me that we are brought up to believe in God, and no matter what decision's we make, whether good or bad, He is still there for us. One thing I do know for sure is that whether you attend any church or not, if you have a bad misfortune or a tragedy, the churches that surround where you live will be the first to be there to help any way they can. That's what it's all about.So you are welcome, don't let thought's like that stand in your way. Have a nice day. CATHY
QUINCY5121@NETZERO.NET

Old 02-03-2009, 07:28 AM

6 posts, read 13,768 times
Default bible belt thoughts

I have been in NC for nearly 2 years. We came from CT, and before that I lived in NY, PA, CA and OR. I do notice that we are in the "bible belt". Most of the time it doesn't bother me even though I do not share that belief.

The fist week or two after moving here I took my kids to a playground and a little boy came to me to tell on my son for "using the lords name in vain". That was my first clue that this was indeed the "bible belt".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or