U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2009, 03:30 PM

444 posts, read 1,029,008 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Informer View Post
gmb,

Religion in the "belt" is quite rampant to the point of it being like a cult. People will try to get you to join their church, while non-church goers are looked down at.

Culture shock - no doubt about it. Southern Cal to North Carolina - yow, better be well prepared for it.

First off...NO. The "bible belt" seems like a cult because it is something that you are not used to. It is not a cult. It gets people involved in churches. Simple.

Second..Isnt southern Cal farther south than N.C.? So why arent you southern too?

Old 02-04-2009, 05:02 PM

246 posts, read 479,209 times
Default Seek and you may find

The bottom line really is............ Jesus Saves

Old 02-08-2009, 10:43 AM

3 posts, read 7,994 times
I am an RN who has lived in this area most of my life. I have lived a while in Memphis, Nashville, Houston, and Oklahoma City - never up north. I don't know what all this hoop-la is about - feeling out of place in the "Bible Belt". That's stupid. There are ALL kinds of people who live in NC. People of every belief and people of no belief, and no one I've ever know gets condemned because of his beliefs. It's how you treat people and how you get along with people that makes or breaks you - just like anywhere else. Yes, there are a lot of church-going people in the South. But there are probably MORE people who don't attend church in this area. None of my neighbors around me go to church, even though I do, and that's no problem for them or me. Intelligent people let others do their own thing. You have NOTHING to fear from living in the South. That guy who had so much trouble EVERYWHERE ??? well, there are some people who don't get along with people, but I'd think they were rare. Smile and say "Hello", and 99 times out of 100 you'll get the same back. We are a VERY diverse people here in NC, and labeling a whole state - to me - says something about YOU - not the people you dealt with. There is NO state that doesn't have "weird" people; they're all over. But I rarely encounter any in my daily routine. Welcome to NC, enjoy. The weather is better than all the snow up north. I live near Charlotte, and we're lucky if we get one good snow a year, and we usually don't. Like today, it's 70 degrees outside, and sunny, and tomorrow the high may be 45 or 50. We have a little of both all during the winter. You never get bored. To Me- even though I was raised right across the border in South Carolina, NC is the BEST place to live! Come, and enjoy! NurseEmilie

Old 02-09-2009, 07:40 AM

2,087 posts, read 1,417,167 times
Just an opinion from someone who has lived in 5 states and 3 different regions of the country. There is no doubt that this part of the country, especially wnc or the bible belt in general has much more rampant religion than other parts of the country. Yes it is true alot of people will ask you about religion, and they will ask you to come to their church with them, and depending on where you live you may feel like the only one in the neighborhood not going. That being said my personal experience has been that if you respectfully deny the offer or answer however you feel comfortable that people are very respectful for the most part. I did have a friend called a witch because of a sticker on here car but.... I think it is isolated in thoose terms.

In my opinion what sticks out more is the social aspect of being in the south in general. Most people vote their religion, which can be frustrating to people with progressive views. Liberals are the devil basically.( Not asheville) Also racism and discrimination is very noticeable and still bread into people at young ages.

So if you dont mind people maybe saying something behind your back about not going to church and you respect their religion it shouldnt be a big deal. I do imagine its culture shock from southern cali. I've lived here twice and it was culture shock coming back the 2nd time. But hey why move across the country if you are not ready for a change right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or