U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2015, 10:32 AM

11 posts, read 9,981 times

Advertisements

Hello,
My family and I will be relocating to North Caroline from the Philly area. My husband and I have a 7 year old and 5 year old. My husband will be working in the Henderson area (which is west of Charlotte).. We are looking for a suburb close to Charlotte (probably between Henderson and Charlotte). We are really looking to keep the commute short, but at the same time not too keen on residing close to the Henderson area. Priorities for this move are an excellent school district, sub division housing as well a thriving city for young families. Any advice you can give will be appreciated!! Thanks,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2015, 10:44 AM

21,970 posts, read 27,258,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCBoundNeedHelp View Post
Hello,
My family and I will be relocating to North Caroline from the Philly area. My husband and I have a 7 year old and 5 year old. My husband will be working in the Henderson area (which is west of Charlotte).. We are looking for a suburb close to Charlotte (probably between Henderson and Charlotte). We are really looking to keep the commute short, but at the same time not too keen on residing close to the Henderson area. Priorities for this move are an excellent school district, sub division housing as well a thriving city for young families. Any advice you can give will be appreciated!! Thanks,
Henderson or Hendersonville? There's a huge difference.

Old 09-01-2015, 10:44 AM

4,639 posts, read 4,809,684 times
First, if you are actually asking about the Charlotte suburbs, you might want to repost this on the Charlotte Board, as you will probably get more and better responses.

Second, are you sure you mean "Henderson"? Henderson, NC is a small town about 3 hours to the northeast of Charlotte. There is also a small town named "Hendersonville" in NC. However, it is about 2 hours west of Charlotte, which would still be too far to commute, imo. Even the suburbs on the west side of Charlotte would too far to drive every day.

If he will be working in Hendersonville, why would't you want to live there? Its a wonderful little town. Or in nearby Asheville?

Old 09-01-2015, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadawg2 View Post
First, if you are actually asking about the Charlotte suburbs, you might want to repost this on the Charlotte Board, as you will probably get more and better responses.

Second, are you sure you mean "Henderson"? Henderson, NC is a small town about 3 hours to the northeast of Charlotte. There is also a small town named "Hendersonville" in NC. However, it is about 2 hours west of Charlotte, which would still be too far to commute, imo. Even the suburbs on the west side of Charlotte would too far to drive every day.

If he will be working in Hendersonville, why would't you want to live there? Its a wonderful little town. Or in nearby Asheville?
There's several options for Hendersonville, but I don't see Charlotte suburbs being in the mix. Kings Mountain is pretty much the last suburb to the west & I wouldn't do that as a commute. Now, by including area, maybe it's a small town close to Hendersonville, if, in fact, she doesn't really mean Henderson.

Old 09-01-2015, 12:36 PM

2,361 posts, read 2,659,507 times
It's 2.25 hours from Hendersonville to Douglas airport, more to downtown or other areas.

Old 09-01-2015, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlhm5 View Post
It's 2.25 hours from Hendersonville to Douglas airport, more to downtown or other areas.
Kings Mountain is ~30 minutes west of the airport. At this point it's pretty much the last suburb west of Charlotte. The OP has to clear up the actual job location before any assistance can be given.

Old 09-01-2015, 12:55 PM
NCN

21,135 posts, read 21,881,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCBoundNeedHelp View Post
Hello,
If you are west of Charlotte it would be Hendersonville or Henderson County. I cannot imagine why you wouldn't want to live there. Could you give us a clue? You mentioned education. You might want to check near Western Carolina University for a good educational experience. My husband said Asheville but that would not be my choice.

I would like to caution you that you may want to keep the commute as short as possible for him because it snows in that area and there are high mountains and cliffs. Interstates are cleared before other roads so choose somewhere close as possible to an interstate. I have friends that live in South Asheville and Hendersonville so both areas would work for me but I would prefer Hendersonville unless you plan to be working maybe in another town. Maybe Shelby. Transplants from the north seem to like Shelby for some reason.

Brevard, North Carolina is a cultural center in our state but it is not between Hendersonville and Charlotte. I would love to help you but this is about as good as I can do without more information.

Last edited by NCN; 09-01-2015 at 01:33 PM..

Old 09-01-2015, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
If you are west of Charlotte it would be Hendersonville or Henderson County. I cannot imagine why you wouldn't want to live there. Could you give us a clue? You mentioned education. You might want to check near Western Carolina University for a good educational experience. My husband said Asheville but that would not be my choice.

I would like to caution you that you may want to keep the commute as short as possible for him because it snows in that area and there are high mountains and cliffs. Interstates are cleared before other roads so choose somewhere close as possible to an interstate. I have friends that live in South Asheville and Hendersonville so both areas would work for me but I would prefer Hendersonville unless you plan to be working maybe in another town. Maybe Shelby. Transplants from the north seem to like Shelby for some reason.

Brevard, North Carolina is a cultural center in our state but it is not between Hendersonville and Charlotte. I would love to help you but this is about as good as I can do without more information.
That's actually pretty helpful. I'm wondering if the job could possibly be in Tryon.

The OP said that they are coming from the Philadelphia area & there are a lot of possibilities that are far from big city involved there. For instance, most of the mushrooms for the country come from Kennett Square.

Old 09-01-2015, 06:17 PM

3,748 posts, read 2,563,903 times
Henderson is a little over an hour north of Raleigh near the Virginia border; Hendersonville is probably 2 hours west of Charlotte deep in the mountain region near the border with SC.....neither of them would be areas you'd want to commute to from any suburbs of Charlotte.

If your job is in Hendersonville I don't see why you wouldn't live there. That's one of the most beautiful areas of the state IMO and Hendersonville probably has a much stronger small town/ hometown feel than most Charlotte 'burbs. Plus that ridiculous commute during weekdays and then most likely on weekends at home in the Charlotte area dealing with the traffic there too. I've only been to Charlotte during the weekend and the traffic has been insane every time!

If the job is actually in Henderson, NC; living in far North Raleigh/Wake Forest and commuting would be a reasonable decision IMO.

Old 09-02-2015, 07:02 AM

11 posts, read 9,981 times
Thank you guys for your help!! You all are right!! I meant Hendersonville. From your responses, I can tell I am in good hands. My husband will be working in the Flat Rock specifically. Right now, we are considering Asheville, but closer to Charlotte would be our first choice. Coming from the Philadelphia area, we would have liked to be closer to a metropolitan area..But from what you all have posted, it seems that the commute from Charlotte would be too cumbersome. Again, our top priority is a great school district for our elementary age kids. Diversity is also at the top of the list. I will look into Shelby and Black Mountain, but most of you seem to think Hendersonville is a good place to move to. I welcome more input from you all. Hopefully, this post has provided more clarity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or