Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2015, 11:08 PM

142 posts, read 175,835 times

Advertisements

I am very disappointed in the North Carolina State Government.... The proposed new 500+ page NC budget slipped in a small amount of text attempting to kill not only the Durham / Orange line but future Charlotte expansion as well. The budget addition caps light rail funding at 500k, which basically kills the 25% the state was to bring to the table. (50% federal, 25% local) ... Orange and Durham Counties already passed a voter approved sales tax increase for light rail and just later today the federal government will be awarding Durham / Orange Light rail with a 1.7M grant to support the project and economic development planning related to the line. Very frustrating.
Attached Thumbnails
NC Budget sneaks in text to attempt to end light rail-image.jpg  

Last edited by BullCityEric; 09-14-2015 at 11:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2015, 02:32 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,161,997 times
The rottenness and stupidity of these idiots never fails to amaze.

Remember this in 2016.

Old 09-15-2015, 03:16 AM

4,261 posts, read 4,712,159 times
Regrettable but not surprising. There's a strong correlation between party affiliation and the rural/urban split in the General Assembly. Consequently, legislators outside the urban areas are not sympathetic to urban issues. 2016 might see some change but more likely it will be 2022 -- when redistricting takes effect -- before you'll see a big change. More seats in the General Assembly will be in urban hands by then.

Old 09-15-2015, 03:25 AM

545 posts, read 594,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BullCityEric View Post
(I originally posted this on the Triangle board, but wanted to share my post and the image here as I am sure others are interested.)

I am very disappointed in the North Carolina State Government.... The proposed new 500+ page NC budget slipped in a small amount of text attempting to kill not only the Durham / Orange line but future Charlotte expansion as well. The budget addition caps light rail funding at 500k, which basically kills the 25% the state was to bring to the table. (50% federal, 25% local) ... Orange and Durham Counties already passed a voter approved sales tax increase for light rail and just later today the federal government will be awarding Durham / Orange Light rail with a 1.7M grant to support the project and economic development planning related to the line. Very frustrating.

Are we shocked? And this legislature has definitely been moving more towards toll roads concerning new road construction.

Old 09-15-2015, 05:06 AM

7,076 posts, read 12,345,554 times
Wake County isn't crowded enough to support rail transit, experts say | News & Observer

Old 09-15-2015, 07:06 AM

743 posts, read 825,933 times
This is nothing new, the state gave hints that Charlotte's blue line extension would be the last rail project to receive a 25% funding commitment & was basically confirmed when the new transportation plan allowed transit projects to compete with road projects. I have doubts that the Durham/Orange line will qualify for federal funding & the potential of covering 50% of the cost is a huge problem

Old 09-15-2015, 07:51 AM

3,083 posts, read 4,856,412 times
Wait, wait, wait...

I am a big proponent of light rail.

What I fail to see is where these two light rail lines benefit the entire state.

I think all those local tax dollars collected in Mecklenburg, Orange, and Durham Counties can help pay the local share of the federal grants. Not the State of NC. Not unless the State is going to offer up money for rail projects ALL OVER NC.

Old 09-15-2015, 08:03 AM

4,980 posts, read 5,393,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
Wait, wait, wait...

What I fail to see is where these two light rail lines benefit the entire state.

I think all those local tax dollars collected in Mecklenburg, Orange, and Durham Counties can help pay the local share of the federal grants. Not the State of NC. Not unless the State is going to offer up money for rail projects ALL OVER NC.

Because we're the economic engines. If we don't thrive, Backswamp and Mayberry sure ain't going to drive us to prosperity.its called investing.

If you were flipping houses, you would buy a house, fix it up and mark it up and put it on the market so you would get a large return on your investment. You wouldnt buy a house, let the weeds grow up (because it cost money to mow the lawn), sell the cabinets out of the house (extra revenue) and sell the house as the cheapest house on the market. You wouldn't earn much money back if you did that.

If rural counties want stuff, they should raise their taxes. Period. The taxes in rural counties are way too low. Raise the sales tax, raise property taxes. When you "run your business" (which is what the NC GOP like to refer to as government), you shouldn't expect to be Dollar Tree and get Microsoft Revenue/returns.

Old 09-15-2015, 08:27 AM

4,639 posts, read 6,380,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlotte485 View Post
because we're the economic engines. If we don't thrive, backswamp and mayberry sure ain't going to drive us to prosperity.its called investing.

If you were flipping houses, you would buy a house, fix it up and mark it up and put it on the market so you would get a large return on your investment. You wouldnt buy a house, let the weeds grow up (because it cost money to mow the lawn), sell the cabinets out of the house (extra revenue) and sell the house as the cheapest house on the market. You wouldn't earn much money back if you did that.

If rural counties want stuff, they should raise their taxes. Period. The taxes in rural counties are way too low. Raise the sales tax, raise property taxes. When you "run your business" (which is what the nc gop like to refer to as government), you shouldn't expect to be dollar tree and get microsoft revenue/returns.
+1,000,000

Old 09-15-2015, 08:33 AM

4,639 posts, read 6,380,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
Wait, wait, wait...

We've really got to move away from this us versus them mentality. Should I object to my tax dollars being used to build a replacement bridge on the outer banks because I live in Asheville and never visit the coast?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina