Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2015, 06:28 PM

11 posts, read 12,266 times

Advertisements

Somewhat new to this website and having trouble posting a thread--no I cannot chew gum and post at the same time.

However, I did post this same thread at least once and now I cannot find it anywhere.

Looking for artist type venues, slower pace than Arlington, VA with less suffocating traffic and good restaurants and tennis venues and good fitness clubs and possibly some good music people.

Looked into Forest Ridge briefly.

I am 68 and wife 66.

Not big on Zombie farms and would we would like a good townhouse or charming cottage (2000+ soft) for $300k to $400k.

Any input welcome
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2015, 06:39 PM

4,639 posts, read 6,382,360 times
Here are your previous threads:

Wake Forest as a Place for Very Active Senior Couple
Need information about Southern Village
Moving to Cary

Old 09-24-2015, 07:36 PM

4,218 posts, read 8,530,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leavingvirginia View Post
However, I did post this same thread at least once and now I cannot find it anywhere.
Look in the Triangle sub-forum (Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary, etc.). If you post there, you'll get more and better responses. That's where all your other posts are located.

Old 09-25-2015, 09:36 AM

carolinadawg2--you just made my point--your list does not include the two threads I tried to create concerning Hillsborough.

Old 09-25-2015, 10:24 AM

13,371 posts, read 27,044,128 times
Quote:
carolinadawg2--you just made my point--your list does not include the two threads I tried to create concerning Hillsborough.
Whatever the reason, they are gone.

At any rate Hillsborough is a town of about 7,000 people. It has wonderful history, but I do not think it is especially artsy. Carrboro, Chapel Hill and Durham sound more your speed.

You might also look into Saxapahaw which has weekly music events, a general store/restaurant and some other folksy, craftsy stuff: http://www.rivermillvillage.com/satu...in-saxapahaw-2 There are loft condos in the former factory building in your price range, so check your favorite real estate site.

You might also look at some prior threads on Hillsborough:
Possible relocation from MN, looking at hillsborough, chapel Hill/ carrboro and Pittsborough
Hillsborough or Dunham Area Rentals

Last edited by goldenage1; 09-25-2015 at 10:50 AM..

Old 09-25-2015, 02:44 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,688,469 times
Quote:
Somewhat new to this website and having trouble posting a thread--no I cannot chew gum and post at the same time.

Looking for artist type venues, slower pace than Arlington, VA with less suffocating traffic and good restaurants and tennis venues and good fitness clubs and possibly some good music people.

Looked into Forest Ridge briefly.

I am 68 and wife 66.

Not big on Zombie farms and would we would like a good townhouse or charming cottage (2000+ soft) for $300k to $400k.

Any input welcome
Are you looking for an artist-colony type of place? The place that came to my mind first when I read your post was New Hope, PA Visit New Hope | New Hope, PA | Visitor Then Asheville came to mind.

Old 09-25-2015, 03:26 PM

9,779 posts, read 15,790,796 times
I answered a couple of questions on your Southern Village thread. Hillsborough is a quaint town. The downtown is charming and a good size compared to other towns' downtowns in the Triangle. There is a bit of artsy vibe there. They have a handmade puppets parade every year and there are a few art galleries in town, I believe. But it is fairly rural and will seem very much so compared to Arlington. If I had to compare it to a NoVA locale, I'd say it's most similar to Leesburg with an historic downtown, being the county seat, and situated in the boonies.

Old 09-26-2015, 04:54 PM

3,649 posts, read 4,501,268 times
Hillsborough is getting more artsy and liberal, but it still is a small town. My current roommate is selling his condo there because he got too bored living there, and he moved back to Carrboro. Seriously sounds like you would enjoy it here or Chapel Hill. If you are around the area, tomorrow there is the Carrboro Music Festival happening all day at pretty much every location downtown. This is about 1 month after the Elderberry Music Festival in Carrboro. I was at Southern Rail (bar/grill and music venue) last night and there was a painting thing going on, a bunch of people gathered around painting with a teacher. About an hour after that a local band started playing. Walked across the street to 2nd Wind (bar) to see a different band. I, along with many others, ride my bicycle to the gym and other places downtown. It's a cool place, man. You'd probably like it.

Old 09-27-2015, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHelmit View Post
Hillsborough is getting more artsy and liberal, but it still is a small town. My current roommate is selling his condo there because he got too bored living there, and he moved back to Carrboro. Seriously sounds like you would enjoy it here or Chapel Hill. If you are around the area, tomorrow there is the Carrboro Music Festival happening all day at pretty much every location downtown. This is about 1 month after the Elderberry Music Festival in Carrboro. I was at Southern Rail (bar/grill and music venue) last night and there was a painting thing going on, a bunch of people gathered around painting with a teacher. About an hour after that a local band started playing. Walked across the street to 2nd Wind (bar) to see a different band. I, along with many others, ride my bicycle to the gym and other places downtown. It's a cool place, man. You'd probably like it.
LordHelmit--thanks, you sound like my kinda guy. Your input is helpful--and gives me a sense of the color of Carrboro.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina