Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2015, 01:39 PM

30 posts, read 26,244 times

Advertisements

I’m a 34yr old, woman with no kids- thinking about relocating to NC.

I am moving because after 10yrs in LA, I realize that it is way too expensive to live and date/establish roots here. I’m looking to lower my expenses, complete my masters and start my career.
*Furthering my education, working and eventually establishing my own business is my priority. But I’d also like to have a relationship and developing quality friendships as I go along this path.

Question: Where do I live?
I would like to buy a town home/condo near an area where I can work and attend a College (my degree is MSA/Accounting. I’ll be working and going part time the first year to establish resident tuition rate, then take full time after 1yr. I have worked in finance and shouldn't have a hard time finding part time work in that sector.

I’m prepared to study with 20yr olds, but I need to come home to an older 35+ crowd in my living situation.Which city is best to progress with college, but still big enough to offer a good 30's plus crowd?

House budget is up to 250K. Town home/condo preferred/ SFH would work if little to no gardening is involved...

My wish list includes:
Reasonable commute to college
Professionals’ 30-and older area
2bedrooms preferred

I’m not super outdoorsy; I like movies, restaurants and music events. But I’m willing to hike and try new things

Although, I consider myself a nice & kind person; I’ll admit I’m a little spoiled and used to being around nice things and beautiful, glittering people; I find their drive inspiring and I’m willing to work to attain some of that glitter!

Any advice on where I could fit in in NC?
Any advice in general is helpful.
Thank you for taking the time to read my questions and I truly appreciate any and all advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2015, 01:46 PM

4,639 posts, read 6,376,202 times
Both cities have colleges, townhomes, amenities and 30+ professionals. Will you be working while yoy finish school? Whichever city you can find employment in is probably the deciding factor.

Here are some existing threads that may of help:

Charlotte vs Raleigh/Durham
Moving from Ma to Charlotte / Raleigh, NC
How is quality of life in Raleigh? Is it a better city than Charlotte for a New Yorker?
Which area has the strongest economy? Charlotte or Raleigh?
Move to Charlotte or Raleigh from Chicago
Which City? Raleigh or Charlotte?
Relocating to NC (Charlotte area or Triangle?)

Old 10-16-2015, 02:21 PM

Thank you, CarolinaDawg2!
Yes, I'll work the first year to establish instate resident status so I get a better deal on tuition. I have enough money to cover expenses for up to 1 year. And I'll be buying my home for cash, so all I need is Hoa fees and taxes.

I'm looking for an area that has the people and lifestyle I like; Theater, restaurants, movies. I don't really drink, but a nice after work happy hour crowd would work.
But I will definitely take your advice and look at the job openings to make sure I can cover those expenses, too.

And thank you for the links. I really appreciate this help!

Old 10-17-2015, 09:22 AM

2,492 posts, read 3,028,419 times
North Hills or Crabtree area of Raleigh NC. It's in a commutable distance to NC State. Duke and UNC would be further but it could be done. I didn't suggest DURHAM because you like "glitter" and a certain LA life style. That's just not what that area is. Charlotte NC could be an option but I'm not familiar with neighborhoods.

Old 10-17-2015, 01:40 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,803,781 times
Seriously coming from Los Angeles, Visit first. Be careful what you wish for.

Old 10-18-2015, 05:57 PM

62 posts, read 68,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastbabe View Post

This isn't the 90s or very early 2000s, when people did up and move here, able to ascertain their fortune if they had skills and a bit of cash.

Schedule a couple of weeks to visit both Charlotte and Raleigh - the two favorite transplant sites, but also hit up Greensboro and Winston-Salem. It's likely that you'll find what you like in both Charlotte and Raleigh, but the other two places can be considered smaller contenders. Check out Asheville if you have time, but only from a tourist point-of-view. It's a really spiffy place to visit, but not a likely spot to settle.

And don't plan on coming here and buying a dwelling right off. If things don't turn out well, you don't want to be stuck with a house/condo in an already difficult market. There are plenty of apartments being built, you won't lack for a choice of temporary housing.

Old 10-18-2015, 08:26 PM

@WCBbe & CLuv
Thank you for the suggestions; I am excited to visit Raleigh and Charlotte in the next few weeks- it looks so lush and green!
I can't wait to meet people and see the neighborhoods!

@CYN
Thank you for the suggestion! North Hills and Crabtree are on my 'To See' List!
Thank you so much for this help.

Old 10-21-2015, 02:51 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,813,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastbabe View Post
Yes, where have you visited in NC before that you know this is the place for you? "Out of LA" encompasses a lot of ground--why NC specifically (that will help people zero in on what you might want--which might not actually be either Raleigh or Charlotte)?

Old 10-24-2015, 02:43 AM

774 posts, read 1,856,559 times
Default Only 10 years?

Have you ever been here?
N.C. has a reputation that is different than its reality. This is an entirely different planet than Los Angeles.

You wrote:
Quote:
Although, I consider myself a nice & kind person; I’ll admit I’m a little spoiled and used to being around nice things and beautiful, glittering people; I find their drive inspiring and I’m willing to work to attain some of that glitter!
Oh wow... are YOU in for a big surprise.
Even though there's a lot of vibrant-but-mellow energy in a few places here, North Carolina is still burdened with its past. It denies it... but that only turns the historic issues into "Disavowed Shadow." It's still a series of "small town thinkers." There is no "glitter" here.

But, there's some remarkable beauty and some aspects of N.C. shine. (No... glitter... but shine.)

I suggest Charlotte for you socially, but your academic needs will certainly be easier met in the Raleigh area.
The Raleigh-Durham area has some surprisingly nice, trendy restaurants and bars.

"Glitter"?
Curious, where did you live before you spent the 10 years in "LA"?

Oh... and you may want to look into Richmond, Virginia.
Do NOT be quick to buy here.

Old 10-24-2015, 02:42 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,803,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veganwriter View Post
Have you ever been here?
N.C. has a reputation that is different than its reality. This is an entirely different planet than Los Angeles.

You wrote:

Oh wow... are YOU in for a big surprise.
Even though there's a lot of vibrant-but-mellow energy in a few places here, North Carolina is still burdened with its past. It denies it... but that only turns the historic issues into "Disavowed Shadow." It's still a series of "small town thinkers." There is no "glitter" here.

But, there's some remarkable beauty and some aspects of N.C. shine. (No... glitter... but shine.)

I suggest Charlotte for you socially, but your academic needs will certainly be easier met in the Raleigh area.
The Raleigh-Durham area has some surprisingly nice, trendy restaurants and bars.

"Glitter"?
Curious, where did you live before you spent the 10 years in "LA"?

Oh... and you may want to look into Richmond, Virginia.
Do NOT be quick to buy here.

Agreed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina