U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 01:24 PM

635 posts, read 1,754,119 times
Lightbulb Sanford may be a good fit based on your criteria.

My goodness, the number of folks inquiring into info for "smaller towns" sure has spiked this week!

Although the specific requirements may be a little different, you might want to also follow the two threads below that were just started on basically the same subject. There may be some information there you may find interesting.

Where to live?

Trip to: Small towns outside of sizable cities in NC

With that in mind, see my post about Sanford in the "where to live" thread above, as that may be a location that could be a good fit.

Specifically, Sanford has a great "small town" feel, but with a population of around 30k we have much of anything anyone "needs" and being centrally located between Raleigh/Durham, Fayetteville, and Greensboro(all 30-45min away), you are not far from anything you "want" that Sanford may not offer

Sanford has a hospital and other mid-sized city features, including a small, but very nice, regional airport. Although it isn't for full sized jets of course.

I don't know if that's a little larger town than what you are looking for, but I thought I'd mention it as an option.

Good luck with your search!
Al

P.S.

I JUST noticed that the original post for this thread was back in 2006! Well, anyway, in response to the most recent post, my thoughts above generally still apply. With regard to the requirement for a location between Raleigh and the beach, Sanford may or may not be the ideal choice. But below is a link to a map showing Sanford's relative location and average drive times to various destinations in NC:

Live Well Centered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2009, 10:50 PM

2 posts, read 3,469 times
I think Brunswick County, North Carolina is the best place to live. For some people it reminds them of Florida, but with no high rises on the beaches. We are in between historic Wilmington, NC and vacation attraction Myrtle Beach, SC. Supply, NC is getting a new hospital and St. Brendan's Catholic Church is being remodled. There are a lot of churches, golf courses and thrift and antique stores...with volunteers that are mainly retired people with a good sense of community here. We have some new schools. It is hunting season if people like that and we have our share of black bears and alligators. We have shopping areas without huge malls. The winters are usually mild. A lot of people have come from NY and NJ, plus southerners fleeing cities like Charlotte. It is more affordable than Wilmington, but it is close enough for nice day trips to the Cotton Exchange, the Bellamy Mansion, the NC Battleship, etc. and down in North Myrtle Beach, you could enjoy Barefoot Landing and Tanger Outlet, plus the Alabama Theatre, etc. The Roark Library in Shallotte has been remodled too and there is a good Extension Program in the County if you like to garden, and also classes at Brunswick Community College. It has an auditorium and an indoor pool and gym that you could join.

Old 11-24-2009, 10:55 PM

2 posts, read 3,469 times
Try Brunswick County, North Carolina!

Old 01-03-2010, 08:02 AM

2 posts, read 3,018 times
looking to relocate to the Virginia North Carolina area From Michigan looking for small rural towns with schools are comparable to where I currently live which is a small rural farming community about 25miles from larger city. Two children in high school want to keep them in an environment that is comfortable for them graduating class of their current school about 100 Also looking for housing to rent initially prefer to rent until established and sure we ahve made the right decision. Also looking for affordable housing any insight would be helpful

Old 01-03-2010, 08:11 AM

7,337 posts, read 9,269,088 times
that is a very vast area here in NC.

Being from Michigan, we can safely tell you anything more than 15 miles outside of Raliegh, some places 20 - 30 miles outside of Charlotte are probably more rural that 90% of Michigan (exception being the UP is more rurual)

Schools in NC are operated on a county basis so most high schools (many smaller counties might have just ONE) will possibly have more than 100 students in a graduating class.

Base your new location on where you will work then narrow it to location in terms to convienences you and your family want to be nearby.

Old 01-03-2010, 11:13 AM

21,685 posts, read 37,039,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tignatowski View Post
looking to relocate to the Virginia North Carolina area From Michigan looking for small rural towns with schools are comparable to where I currently live which is a small rural farming community about 25miles from larger city. Two children in high school want to keep them in an environment that is comfortable for them graduating class of their current school about 100 Also looking for housing to rent initially prefer to rent until established and sure we ahve made the right decision. Also looking for affordable housing any insight would be helpful
If your looking for for small towns along the virginia border Surry County would be my top pick then Stokes county then Rockingham County then Surry county
They are close to Greensboro and Winston Salem

Old 02-21-2010, 12:17 PM

1 posts, read 1,447 times
I have lived in Davidson, Randolph, Guilford, and Rockingham Counties. Look on the NC School Report Card if you're shopping for schools first. I would choose either Wallburg (Ledford school district) or Summerfield (Northwest Guilford HS district). Good luck!

Old 02-22-2010, 06:05 PM

2 posts, read 3,018 times
Thanks so much for the input. Ok since the last time I wrote I have received interst in my resume from the Hendersonville, NC Area
I have noticed the housing is more expensive there than in Greenville SC which according to the data I have only about 25-30 miles away which is the distance I drive now to work so what is the difference? Also I will look on the NC school report for schools in this area. Anyone have insight into Hendersonville NC is it a nice town? What is it like and is it open to newcomers?

Old 06-19-2011, 04:21 PM

3 posts, read 1,425 times
I feel so behind and hope a lot of this information still remains relevant. I just graduated college and have grown up around the greater Philadelphia area. I am looking to try life in a charming southern small town that needs a charming elementary school teacher. I am already starting to do some research, but sometimes its best to just ask! I am trying to find the names of schools in some of these towns mentioned, but if anyone has advice on the best towns to look at and what schools would be good to look into, I'd be more than appreciative!

Old 06-20-2011, 10:02 AM

3,173 posts, read 3,366,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgctygrlsmlltwnhrt View Post
I feel so behind and hope a lot of this information still remains relevant. I just graduated college and have grown up around the greater Philadelphia area. I am looking to try life in a charming southern small town that needs a charming elementary school teacher. I am already starting to do some research, but sometimes its best to just ask! I am trying to find the names of schools in some of these towns mentioned, but if anyone has advice on the best towns to look at and what schools would be good to look into, I'd be more than appreciative!
Start here:
Professional Educator's Licensure

Most of the school districts are county districts. You can easily find their websites. Unfortunately, most of them are laying off teachers, not hiring them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina