U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2015, 01:35 PM

52 posts, read 69,347 times

Advertisements

We love this area (Aberdeen ). I stay home and make home decor and sell my products mostly online, but have a few places I am checking into to put my products locally. My husband is an excellent carpenter looking for work in this area. He takes great pride in his work, and everyone he has done work for has been extremely happy. He is a hard worker and shows up when he says he will. He also will do handyman work, those small jobs that others won't do. We just don't know who to contact. There are many services online, that are supposed to help find leads, but they are pretty costly. Any ideas?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2015, 01:55 PM

4,015 posts, read 3,226,004 times
Aberdeen is about 40 miles from Fayetteville, which would likely have much more work. I might look for a place on that side of Aberdeen and try advertising in the Fayetteville CraigsList or maybe apply to some services that operate out of Fayetteville.

Old 11-13-2015, 08:30 PM

We are trying to avoid going in that direction. I know there's plenty of work around, just need to find those connections.

Old 11-14-2015, 07:44 AM
PDD

8,774 posts, read 16,100,131 times
IMO, if you don't speak the language and coming from Maine you don't. It will be difficult to sell to the locals. You will be a great customer but struggle to be a business person.
Just like most everyplace, the carpentry business is done with "imported labor" so finding a decent paying carpenter job is not likely.

I would suggest living in one of the communities where you have a lot of Northerners living.They are more tolerant Yankees and speak your language.
Don't get me wrong their are a lot of nice local people living here but the vast majority of successful business people are probably locals.

Starting a Handyman service is a good idea. We have a re-modeler/handyman contractor in our area who is from the northeast and is quite busy.

Advertising your services in the Pilot newspaper is a good place to start as are some of the other local papers.

OK so where do a lot of Yankees live you ask?

Pinehurst
Pinewild CC
Seven Lakes
Southern Pines
Foxfire village

BTW the Aberdeen Police Chief is from NJ. (I read that in the Pilot)

Old 11-16-2015, 05:42 PM

755 posts, read 750,400 times
Have you tried contacting the Moore County Chamber of Commerce? They may have some very helpful info for you.

Moore County Chamber -

Old 11-28-2015, 07:37 PM

So, since that post, we have had business cards made up and lettering on my husband's truck. We went to a lot of realtors in the area (Aberdeen, Pinehurst and Southern Pines). We were very much welcomed by every one of them, and have a few prospects. However, the very first realtor took us right out to a property that needed work and hired him on the spot. That job has grown some and has also lead to another. Plus we have a nice neighborhood and found some work there. Things look good, and I believe word of mouth is always the best. I, myself, have been busy painting saw blades, slates and Christmas ornaments and making burlap wreaths and trees. Some here, some being shipped out. Also, we are renting in Aberdeen, but still looking at homes in Pinehurst and surrounding areas. Love the whole area here. ��

Old 11-28-2015, 07:38 PM

Oh, and we will be checking with the Chamber and getting his name in there, joining the Chamber. Thank you, mamasplace. ��

Old 11-28-2015, 07:51 PM

4,073 posts, read 7,312,462 times
Sounds like you're on the right track. Congrats and best wishes for continued success!

Old 03-29-2016, 09:30 AM

5 posts, read 3,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
IMO, if you don't speak the language and coming from Maine you don't. It will be difficult to sell to the locals. You will be a great customer but struggle to be a business person.
Just like most everyplace, the carpentry business is done with "imported labor" so finding a decent paying carpenter job is not likely.

I would suggest living in one of the communities where you have a lot of Northerners living.They are more tolerant Yankees and speak your language.
Don't get me wrong their are a lot of nice local people living here but the vast majority of successful business people are probably locals.

Starting a Handyman service is a good idea. We have a re-modeler/handyman contractor in our area who is from the northeast and is quite busy.

Advertising your services in the Pilot newspaper is a good place to start as are some of the other local papers.

OK so where do a lot of Yankees live you ask?

Pinehurst
Pinewild CC
Seven Lakes
Southern Pines
Foxfire village

BTW the Aberdeen Police Chief is from NJ. (I read that in the Pilot)
So it sounds like in your opinion, northern transplants aren't welcomed by locals? Its best to not try to "integrate"?

Old 03-31-2016, 11:57 AM
PDD

8,774 posts, read 16,100,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardner1983 View Post
So it sounds like in your opinion, northern transplants aren't welcomed by locals? Its best to not try to "integrate"?
Of course northerners are welcome, as customers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina