Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2015, 05:38 PM

4 posts, read 3,812 times

Advertisements

I'm a single mom with two little boys, currently in the Pacific NW where I grew up. I work from home online but make low income - but I get to be with my kids. However, here I am stuck living with family because an apartment is $800-1000. I have a few close family members and a few close friends, and I would miss everyone, but if I did not know anyone I also would never have chosen this as a home city. I have been seriously researching other places to go, somewhere I can live on less money (even if I get a part time job to supplement my current income) and have plenty of time with my boys.

North Carolina is at the top of my list. I'm having a hard time figuring out exactly where. I need to be able to connect to people because what scares me most is not knowing anyone and having no one who could watch my kids in an emergency. I care about having a good hospital within a reasonable distance (maybe half an hour drive tops, less would be better) and about having good schools. I also care about a budget. I have been looking online at homes for sale under $100,000 and my ideal would be $75,000 or less. That narrows it down a lot - I also don't think I'd feel safe in the country to the point of being very isolated, I'd like some neighbors around. I'd also like a big enough city around that when I do get to looking for work there's at least some options.

Any suggestions? Am I totally nuts? My kids will really miss my mom, but in the long term I want to be able to give them a house and stability and a good place to grow up. And a puppy.

Please if you can give me zip codes rather than town names it would be tremendously helpful when I'm looking online at home prices.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2015, 06:43 PM

13,371 posts, read 27,039,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gems811 View Post
I'm a single mom with two little boys, currently in the Pacific NW where I grew up. I work from home online but make low income - but I get to be with my kids...... I have been looking online at homes for sale under $100,000 and my ideal would be $75,000 or less.......My kids will really miss my mom, but in the long term I want to be able to give them a house and stability and a good place to grow up.
This is a constructive suggestion, and not anything negative about North Carolina. In your price range, I don't think it is worth moving across the country and away from family to save a tiny bit in the purchase price.

Think about the rural areas of the Pacific Northwest. One town I know about is Heppner, Oregon, or Zip Code 97836 which has some decent schools There are several listings for houses under 100K, such as this one:
http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...73-29784?row=7 or this: http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...62-73610?row=3

Old 11-17-2015, 08:31 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,212,465 times
you're not nuts, but you have no reason to move, especially cross-country, for a few hundred dollars a month on the budget.

Old 11-18-2015, 04:29 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,425,504 times
I agree that you should consider staying closer to what you know. You and your children will really miss your mom, I think. The savings, if any, won't be worth it. Good luck.

Old 11-18-2015, 04:59 AM

16,759 posts, read 8,212,614 times
Check out 28144, 28146

Old 11-18-2015, 09:52 AM

Quote:
I need to be able to connect to people because what scares me most is not knowing anyone and having no one who could watch my kids in an emergency.
Well, so far 3 out 4 responses are recommending against moving.

If you want to consider moving to North Carolina, the towns where you will find houses in your price range are likely to be small and economically depressed with few jobs. In order to fit in, you will likely have to join a Baptist Church. You will be among people who have known each other their whole lives and whose lives revolve round family visits. Ask yourself how hard you are willing to work to have a social life.

Some towns in Eastern NC where you might look at cheap real estate are Belhaven (27810) and Blounts Creek (27814). They are the sort of towns Nicholas Sparks writes about, but I believe he has romanticized the neighborliness of the people.

If you stay in the Pacific Northwest, I believe you can find inexpensive housing in a rural area within 1 or 2 hours of your mother's place. You might have to look at bank-owned properties or ones needing work. Some examples I recently visited are Mount Angel, OR (97362) and Silverton, OR (97381). They are cute small towns with family-oriented, religious neighborhoods. Both were settled by German Catholic farmers.

Last edited by goldenage1; 11-18-2015 at 10:54 AM..

Old 11-18-2015, 03:43 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,824,929 times
Quote:
North Carolina is at the top of my list.
What do you know about NC that puts it at the top of your list? You say below that you don't know anyone here and don't seem to know much, if anything about the state.

Your budget is unlikely to get you anything here that meets your needs (close to things and not isolated in the country, but in a safe area, near good schools and hospitals, etc). Again, do you know anything firsthand about this state that has made you want to move here?

The East Coast is quite different from the West; I wouldn't advise moving somewhere you know nothing about just to try to find cheaper housing. At the very least, plan a visit here after researching the amenities of whatever places have set your sites on North Carolina, and see if it is still where you want to be and if you can afford what you're looking for. Generally the places with good schools are the more expensive, and your budget is really low for this area.

There is no point in someone giving specific zip codes until you do a lot more research on your own and narrow it down based on factual knowledge.

Old 11-18-2015, 08:19 PM

1,965 posts, read 3,309,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
Well, so far 3 out 4 responses are recommending against moving.

If you want to consider moving to North Carolina, the towns where you will find houses in your price range are likely to be small and economically depressed with few jobs. In order to fit in, you will likely have to join a Baptist Church. You will be among people who have known each other their whole lives and whose lives revolve round family visits.

Don't forget football, friend chicken, and hunting. Many of these areas have people that have known one another through generations and have deeply interwoven family histories..

Some towns in Eastern NC where you might look at cheap real estate are Belhaven (27810) and Blounts Creek (27814). They are the sort of towns Nicholas Sparks writes about, but I believe he has romanticized the neighborliness of the people.

Sparks was originally from Nebraska and spent most of his life elsewhere.. I imagine he knew little about real life there when he wrote that book or he wouldn't have been so romantic about it..
rr

Old 11-19-2015, 06:08 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,425,504 times
I saw on the OP's oner post that she is a domestic violence survivor. I've worked with survivors for years. Your support system is crucial in your recovery. I strongly urge the OP to consider the value of that support system before moving. Finding a new one can be hard.

Old 11-19-2015, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Your budget is unlikely to get you anything here that meets your needs (close to things and not isolated in the country, but in a safe area, near good schools and hospitals, etc).
Also, if the OP is expecting to do day-care in her home as mentioned in the Oregon postings, North Carolina also has licensing requirements.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
View detailed profiles of: