Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2015, 05:24 AM

2 posts, read 1,876 times

Advertisements

I'm considering dropping Time Warner, but before I do, I'm curious about something. Are there companies that will come to your home to program the new converter box since they went digital? Will Time Warbner send someone out to make the thing work? My TV is new enough that it shouldn't need the converter box. None of us are tech savvy and we're now done to a few channels, the rest have that blank screen message. When I call them I'm put on hold forever. We don't watch that much TV, but when we do, we'd like to have those channel choices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2015, 05:48 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,369,145 times
If you have a newer tv, you could just rent the dvr box instead.(Converter box only free for one year and same rental price after this free 1 year.)
Converter box mainly is for those who still use tube tv.
I got a converter box for my mom and its not an easy installation so yes a time warner techie can be called.
I got the box while its free and will wait til she calls and says cant watch tv.
Yes this is a crock by TW as it not required by Charter so will box be even be needed after the merger.

This box will cause more people to cut the cord.

Old 11-20-2015, 07:25 AM

4,639 posts, read 6,350,998 times
If you're dropping TWC, why would you need a converter?

Old 11-20-2015, 08:02 AM

2,668 posts, read 7,139,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Converter box mainly is for those who still use tube tv.
I got a converter box for my mom and its not an easy installation so yes a time warner techie can be called.

Not exactly. The converter box is required for any TV for which you don't have an existing box from TWC. In other words, any TV for which you have "basic cable".

And installation is simple if you know how to attach a co-ax cable (the kind you have to screw in), and simpler still if your TV has HDMI inputs. You simply disconnect your existing cable from the TV and connect it to the converter box. Then connect the supplied cable from the converter box to your TV. Then plug the converter box into an electrical outlet, and you're done. Easy as pie.

Old 11-20-2015, 02:25 PM

1,114 posts, read 1,204,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yadkinvalley1958 View Post
I'm considering dropping Time Warner, but before I do, I'm curious about something. Are there companies that will come to your home to program the new converter box since they went digital? Will Time Warbner send someone out to make the thing work? My TV is new enough that it shouldn't need the converter box. None of us are tech savvy and we're now done to a few channels, the rest have that blank screen message. When I call them I'm put on hold forever. We don't watch that much TV, but when we do, we'd like to have those channel choices.
Are you planning to just use an antenna? If so, all you need is a TV with a digital tuner. Most have had this since about 2000. If not, you'll need to buy a separate digital tuner. TWC isn't going to help you with that, however you can get basic cable for cheap. It is usually about $10 when added on to their internet service. Kind of a no brainer IMHO. You can also use a Roku in place of their converter box.

Old 11-21-2015, 11:21 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,707,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arbyunc View Post
The converter box is required for any TV for which you don't have an existing box from TWC.
In other words, any TV for which you have "basic cable".
When I still had TWC I used no box at all.
I simply plugged the coax to the input point on the **cable ready** TV.
(Didn't want the clutter or the extra remote)

Guess what? It worked.
Running the cable signal through the VCR used to work fine too.
Getting TWC to not charge for their "converter" box? A freaking nightmare.

From my perspective the only reason to have their box is to make selling you PPV easier.
They'll charge every month for the privilege of charging you more still.
Quite the scam when you think about it.

Pull the plug.

Old 11-21-2015, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
When I still had TWC I used no box at all.
I simply plugged the coax to the input point on the **cable ready** TV.
(Didn't want the clutter or the extra remote)

Guess what? It worked.
Running the cable signal through the VCR used to work fine too.
Getting TWC to not charge for their "converter" box? A freaking nightmare.

From my perspective the only reason to have their box is to make selling you PPV easier.
They'll charge every month for the privilege of charging you more still.
Quite the scam when you think about it.

Pull the plug.
As of October, TWC has encrypted their digital signal so that anyone plugging cable directly into their tv now needs a digital converter (about the size of a deck of playing cards). TWC is currently giving them away for free.

Old 11-28-2015, 10:45 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,707,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadawg2 View Post
As of October, TWC has encrypted their digital signal so that anyone plugging cable directly into their tv now needs a digital converter (about the size of a deck of playing cards). TWC is currently giving them away for free.
You know what NC needs?
A Public Service Commission

Old 11-28-2015, 04:32 PM

Quote:
You know what NC needs?
Why? What would such an agency do that the Sec. of State's Office doesn't currently do? Do other states have regulations that produce lower cable bills and/or greater choice? Do you think the republicans in Raleigh are interested in more regulation?

As an fyi, digital converters are needed throughout TWC's service areas.

Last edited by carolinadawg2; 11-28-2015 at 05:27 PM..

Old 11-28-2015, 06:57 PM

4,218 posts, read 8,502,238 times
Quote:
You know what NC needs?
Isn't that what the Consumer Affairs office of the Attorney General's office is supposed to be?

There's also a Consumer office within the NC Utilities Commission.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
View detailed profiles of: