Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2015, 06:45 AM

5 posts, read 5,363 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I have read the rules but my situation is a little ambiguous. I will be starting a new job in Fayetteville in late December, and when I first start I will be staying with family until we close on a home, which I hope will take less than 30 days after I arrive but I can't be sure. So when does the clock start ticking? I will still own my out of state home and technically still live there. To make matters worse my vehicle must be re-registered in my home state by the end of November, and our state does not refund any portion of the fee if I don't remain in the state.
Any insight would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2015, 08:50 AM

13,371 posts, read 27,039,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phnx118 View Post
So when does the clock start ticking? I will still own my out of state home and technically still live there. To make matters worse my vehicle must be re-registered in my home state by the end of November, and our state does not refund any portion of the fee if I don't remain in the state.
I think the clock starts ticking when you move to a permanent residence, eg, close on the new house and move into it. It sounds like you are stuck paying for your current state's registration.

However, if you live in a part of NC where there are many transplants, I don't think the cops will stop you just to question your registration.

Old 11-21-2015, 09:01 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,387,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phnx118 View Post
Hello all,

I have read the rules but my situation is a little ambiguous. I will be starting a new job in Fayetteville in late December, and when I first start I will be staying with family until we close on a home, which I hope will take less than 30 days after I arrive but I can't be sure. So when does the clock start ticking? I will still own my out of state home and technically still live there. To make matters worse my vehicle must be re-registered in my home state by the end of November, and our state does not refund any portion of the fee if I don't remain in the state.
Any insight would be greatly appreciated!
Just register your car where you live and don't worry about no refund. You're only talking about less than $100 nothing to lose sleep over.

Old 11-25-2015, 03:42 AM

5 posts, read 5,363 times
Under $100.00? I wish, sadly it will be far more than that

Old 11-25-2015, 12:57 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,448,042 times
FWIW I kept FL plates in NC for five years. My neighbors have been living in NC for four and still have out of state plates. My $0.02 is register next November when yours expires. Just don't have expired tags, that is a red flag.

Either that or just let yours lapse a month and register here in Dec. Really no big deal...

Even though I had out of state plates I was legit with registrations and insurance. I only swapped because my insurance company stopped issuing FL ID numbers which you need to register your car in FL.

Old 11-25-2015, 06:09 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,711,339 times
I let my registration lapse for a month when moving to another state. I was in your same situation. It was either let it lapse, or pay $300+

I doubt that many cops out of state would give tickets for expired registration from another state.

Old 11-25-2015, 08:12 PM

3,649 posts, read 4,500,322 times
Just leave your home state's on til they expire, especially in Fayetteville where the army moves people in from everywhere you won;t get any second looks for having an out of state tag. I was driving on a NJ license with Arkansas tags in Fayetteville for 2 years got pulled twice (speeding and illegal u-turn) and the license plate was never an issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
View detailed profiles of: