Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2015, 09:01 PM

464 posts, read 523,193 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
That sounds interesting. I'm happy with Raleigh's nightlife. Even if Greensboro has better nightlife, I'm sure other aspects of the city would definitely feel too small for myself and other people.
It doesn't have a better nightlife lol. When it comes to Raleigh, I would take anything the Charlotte crew has to say with a grain of salt. Bias and agendas are real on here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2015, 02:25 AM

7,076 posts, read 12,345,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
That sounds interesting. I'm happy with Raleigh's nightlife. Even if Greensboro has better nightlife, I'm sure other aspects of the city would definitely feel too small for myself and other people.
A city's identity is usually the most urbanized parts of the city. In most southern cities, the only urban part of town is the downtown area. Asheville, Greenville SC, Charleston, and many others are all judged by their respective downtowns. Raleigh is certainly bigger than Greensboro in terms of suburbanization (as if that's something to be proud of). As a "city", Greensboro competes with Raleigh quite easily (especially when considering the size difference of the two).

https://youtu.be/n6QEGzI1TdE

Old 12-14-2015, 04:09 AM

4,639 posts, read 6,380,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by epicene101 View Post
Nothing I said is unprovable, and your right, you didn't say without RTP Raleigh would be Greensboro, you said it might of ended up being smaller (speculation). You and the Charlotte crew can agree all day long about how every city in NC has a better nightlife than Raleigh, but I'm sure Raleigh is content with its growth and continued economic stability
"Raleigh was always destined for greatness" is most definitely unprovable. And I'm not a member of any "crew", much less Charlotte's.

Your insecurities are showing.

Old 12-14-2015, 04:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Well, I have been to both downtown Greensboro and downtown Raleigh recently and while I do like downtown Greensboro, especially the older buildings which remind me of Durham or even Asheville a little bit, I don't think it's on par with Raleigh. Triad Stage is pretty cool, but what else is happening in downtown Greensboro that you like over what's happening in Raleigh? There's really no contest IMO for me. Love to see Greensboro coming up, but Raleigh has a lot more of what I'm interested in going on downtown.
Minor league baseball
Tanger Performing Arts Center
Downtown Greenway
Bellemeade Village
New hotels and office buildings
Multiple breweries and new restaurants
Lebauer City Park
Union Square Campus
Cityview Apartments
Carolina Theater
Center City Park
Historical, children's and civil rights museums

and much, much more.

Old 12-14-2015, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadawg2 View Post
"Raleigh was always destined for greatness" is most definitely unprovable. And I'm not a member of any "crew", much less Charlotte's.

Your insecurities are showing.
Again, Raleigh has grown significantly the last decade, has been hailed as one of the best places to live, and is one of the fastest growing cities in the nation. Also, what insecurities? If anything, you and the Charlotte crew rushing in here to declare Greensboro on par with a city much bigger in almost every way shows who the insecure ones are.

Don't project lol.

Old 12-14-2015, 07:20 AM

1,211 posts, read 2,675,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
A city's identity is usually the most urbanized parts of the city. In most southern cities, the only urban part of town is the downtown area. Asheville, Greenville SC, Charleston, and many others are all judged by their respective downtowns. Raleigh is certainly bigger than Greensboro in terms of suburbanization (as if that's something to be proud of). As a "city", Greensboro competes with Raleigh quite easily (especially when considering the size difference of the two).

https://youtu.be/n6QEGzI1TdE
Salt

Old 12-14-2015, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Again, Raleigh has grown significantly the last decade, has been hailed as one of the best places to live, and is one of the fastest growing cities in the nation. Also, what insecurities? If anything, you and the Charlotte crew rushing in here to declare Greensboro on par with a city much bigger in almost every way shows who the insecure ones are.

Don't project lol.
You seem to have a size fixation...I wonder why?

Raleigh is fine for what it is. But for a city of its supposed greatness, its downtown is lacking. Thats all I'm saying. Greensboro is half its size, but has a much more interesting downtown, imo. And Winston-Salem's is even better than G'boro's.

Old 12-14-2015, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadawg2 View Post
You seem to have a size fixation...I wonder why?

Raleigh is fine for what it is. But for a city of its supposed greatness, its downtown is lacking. Thats all I'm saying. Greensboro is half its size, but has a much more interesting downtown, imo. And Winston-Salem's is even better than G'boro's.
Thank goodness for reality then lol

I've been to Greensboro and WS, and they're great cities, but when compared to Raleigh I don't feel/see the lack.

The hype is real on C-D though lol.

Old 12-14-2015, 08:12 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,678,989 times
Quote:
The thing is, Raleigh was always destined for greatness. Being the capital and it's location helped significantly. If you compare the growth rates through the state in the past decade, you can see why Raleigh is unique. Despite it having more competition around/ near its borders, it continues to be the clear dominate city in the Triangle area. That's why I hold it in a higher regard than Charlotte.
I think that this is the problem with your discussion with carolinadawg. Your use of the word always in this post is a problem. Just when does always begin by your definition? By most people's definition it would start with Raleigh's founding. You do realize that Raleigh was not the original state capital, I assume.

Old 12-14-2015, 08:14 AM

4,980 posts, read 5,393,399 times
Quote:

Don't project lol.

What Charlotte posters have declared that? You've made some pretty rude comments on CLT and I don't believe a single Charlotte poster commented on them or has said anything negative about Raleigh

Quote:
The thing is, Raleigh was always destined for greatness. Being the capital and it's location helped significantly. If you compare the growth rates through the state in the past decade, you can see why Raleigh is unique. Despite it having more competition around/ near its borders, it continues to be the clear dominate city in the Triangle area. That's why I hold it in a higher regard than Charlotte.
Quote:
Similar, yet much smaller. That's why cities should find their own power, and build from there. Raleigh isn't trying to be Atlanta at all. It's goal is to be a city that combines everything. That's why you can say you're use to bigger metros, but find Raleigh's fitting. It combines the best attributes from bigger cities, and discard's the worst. That's the goal lol. Building a center city is cute, but building an all around city is different IMO. That's where Raleigh is headed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina