U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 11-18-2006, 07:22 AM

30 posts, read 74,128 times
Default Christmas in NC

Hello all, I will be up in NC for the Christmas season (in the Murphy area). My wife is hoping to see some small town Christmas festivities. Does anyone know of any Christmas attractions that aren't specifically aimed at small kids? Maybe some nice light displays or a town that really does it up. We don't mind driving to get there. I had heard the Helen in Georgia is really nice.
Quick reply to this message

Unread 11-18-2006, 08:20 AM

1,197 posts, read 2,296,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StereoGuy316 View Post
Hello all, I will be up in NC for the Christmas season (in the Murphy area). My wife is hoping to see some small town Christmas festivities. Does anyone know of any Christmas attractions that aren't specifically aimed at small kids? Maybe some nice light displays or a town that really does it up. We don't mind driving to get there. I had heard the Helen in Georgia is really nice.
Mcadenville in NC is a good place for Christmas lights. Everything is lit up in this small town for a few miles. Think it starts the day after Thanksgiving and runs thru Dec. 26th. You can ride thru or walk the sidewalk.

Unread 11-18-2006, 08:23 AM

580 posts, read 1,888,684 times
Here's a few that I was able to find for you...

McAdenville Christmas Lights
(Cross Street: Between I-85 and US 29-74)
McAdenville, NC 28101

http://www.mcadenville-christmastown.com/

Since 1956, this charming little town, which lies along the South Fork River in Gaston County, has covered practically every square inch of its land with lights. Last year, 450,000 lights covered over 400 trees. The residents dress their homes with decorations and lights. The lake at the center of town is dazzling with 75 sparkling trees circling its banks. The luminous display has earned the town the right to rename itself "Christmas Town, USA."

---------------------------------------------------------

Festival of Lights
Tanglewood Park
Clemmons, NC (Winston-Salem)

http://www.forsyth.cc/tanglewood/ (broken link)

And then depending on what part of NC you'll be in these events in neighboring states, may not be too far either!

100 miles of Lights (VA)
http://www.newport-news.org/groupinfo/100milesoflights.htm (broken link)

Enchanted Garden of Lights, Chattanooga, TN
See Rock City! The gardens' natural beauty is complemented by more than 25 holiday scenes as half a million lights illuminate rock formations along the Enchanted Trail.
http://www.seerockcity.com/Flash/index.htm

Holiday Festival of Lights, Charleston, S.C.
Take a two-mile driving tour through James Island County Park, glowing with 2 million Christmas lights in nearly 300 displays during the 16th annual event in the Lowcountry.See the meticulously crafted "Holiday Scene" constructed by hand with 50-tons of sand. View the sugary structures entered in the ginger-bread house competition.

Smoky Mountain Winterfest - Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge and Sevierville, TN
Ride the Trolley Tour of Lights around Pigeon Forge and claim a spot on the sidewalk for Gatlinburg's "Fantasy of Lights" Christmas Parade, featuring lighted floats, marching bands and giant helium balloons. This event combines 3 Tennessee cities: Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge and Sevierville. These neighboring Smoky Mountain towns are ablaze with 5 million lights thru February.

Fantasy of Lights - Pine Mountain, GA
A 5 mile drive by car or trolley takes visitors past 13 holiday scenes with more than 8 million Christmas lights. This year's event features rides on a holiday train called the North Pole Express, which loops around Chickadee Lake and through the woods, and the Christmas Village at Robin Lake Beach.

Unread 11-18-2006, 08:25 AM

580 posts, read 1,888,684 times
http://www.blueridgecountry.com/Favo...D06/index.html

Article on "15 glimmering events in 15 mountain communities"

Hope that ya'll enjoy your Christmas in NC!

Unread 11-18-2006, 12:45 PM

28 posts, read 85,028 times
Both Murphy and Hayesville have Christmas parades and small festivals.This years is on December 2. The town squares will stay lit up until after New Year's. There's also Dillboro which is about 1 to 1 1/2 hours from Murphy, through the Nantahala Gorge. This is a beautiful little town that is absolutely gorgeous around Christmas. I can't think of any others right off the top of my head. But as you mentioned, there is Helen, Ga, which is a really cute town, but be careful, they generate a lot of money from "ticketing" tourists.Be very, very attentive to the speed limits posted and always park within the lines, or you will have to pay major bucks.

Unread 11-18-2006, 12:48 PM

28 posts, read 85,028 times
Can't believe I forgot to mention Christmas at the Biltmore In Asheville!! This is a must see!!

Unread 11-18-2006, 11:49 PM

1,855 posts, read 2,975,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happeemtnchik View Post
Can't believe I forgot to mention Christmas at the Biltmore In Asheville!! This is a must see!!
Just be prepared....admission is $45.00 for adults!

Mooresville is having it's Christmas parade on Tues., 11/21 at 4pm on Main St. if anyone's interested. I'm going!

BxRosie

Unread 11-19-2006, 12:02 AM

505 posts, read 1,499,595 times
We already had our parade in Raleigh this morning. This is to early for a christmas parade...geez.

Last edited by Beffrey2; 11-19-2006 at 12:10 AM..

Unread 11-19-2006, 06:15 AM

1,418 posts, read 4,652,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StereoGuy316 View Post
If you don't mind doing some driving, that'll be good. Murphy's pretty far from most places in NC. The Biltmore House in Asheville is very nice. We love to visit every couple of years during the Christmas holidays. McAdenville (between Charlotte and Gastonia) is a small, colonial-type town that fixes up the entire town with lights and displays. It's free and is one of the best you'll see anywhere. It's done in such good taste and fits the makeup of the town really well. You can ride through, or park and do somw walking. Tanglewood Park near Winston Salem is nice as well, but it costs (not sure how much though).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina