Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2015, 06:13 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,385,103 times

Advertisements

Nothing wrong with week minded people getting together to show their support for other slow thinkers. That's why you had/have the Klan and today you have Trump supporters (sans the sheets).

Nothing wrong with that, everybody needs hero's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2015, 07:11 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
From what I've researched, Salisbury was a notorious hotbed for Klan activity during the 60's. The documentary mentioned a possible brawl between KKK street marchers and black citizens in Salisbury that didn't occur due to a thunderstorm that popped out of nowhere, I believe in August of 1964 or 1965. The Grand Dragon himself was from Granite Quarry, which I believe was also the NC Klan headquarters in the mid-60's. Not exactly a happy chapter of Rowan County's history.

It's true that the KKK was seen by many people in NC as trash, for lack of a better term. It seems like many of the NC citizens who supported segregation didn't see a point in going that far to protect it. In general, NC wasn't vicious like many Deep South states. Terry Sanford himself knew the act of fighting for segregation would destroy NC's reputation of being one of the more progressive southern states.
Not gonna quibble with you on your research, but the Klan was non-exisent in the circles that mattered. I remember a grand dragon or something was from Granite Quarry, but again, that was one person.

I have heard before about how bad Rowan County was, but having lived there, I know the Klan, even in a "hotbed" as you have hyped were on the extreme marginal fringe -- and for those keeping score, that is way way out there..

I also recall what was supposed to be a big march in Salisbury that never ever occurred. That alone should tell you how far your sources are off in their portrayal.

It seems there was a cover story on either LIFE or the Saturday Evening Post about the big march....that never occurred, a story contrived before the event (that never occurred). What a hoot now that I think about it, but, just as now, with irresponsible media, the seeds were planted. I may be wrong on that, but I remember my parents were upset about the invalid coverage.

Spend a little time researching the consolidation of Boyden and Price High Schools, in 1969. I was there for that, too. You will get a little better picture of what was really going on in Rowan County. Though it won't be as sensational as many would want.

Old 12-23-2015, 07:21 AM

4,639 posts, read 6,380,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
Not gonna quibble with you on your research, but the Klan was non-exisent in the circles that mattered. I remember a grand dragon or something was from Granite Quarry, but again, that was one person.

I have heard before about how bad Rowan County was, but having lived there, I know the Klan, even in a "hotbed" as you have hyped were on the extreme marginal fringe -- and for those keeping score, that is way way out there..

I also recall what was supposed to be a big march in Salisbury that never ever occurred. That alone should tell you how far your sources are off in their portrayal.

It seems there was a cover story on either LIFE or the Saturday Evening Post about the big march....that never occurred, a story contrived before the event (that never occurred). What a hoot now that I think about it, but, just as now, with irresponsible media, the seeds were planted. I may be wrong on that, but I remember my parents were upset about the invalid coverage.

Spend a little time researching the consolidation of Boyden and Price High Schools, in 1969. I was there for that, too. You will get a little better picture of what was really going on in Rowan County. Though it won't be as sensational as many would want.
I think you're taking this way to personally. Just because there were some klan troubles in Rowan County doesn't reflect poorly on you.

In regard to school integration, I found this:

"Racial desegregation became a tough issue for many in the Rowan County Schools system. The separate Black schools were phased out, but many opposed to racial integration still put up a fight. This was aggravated by a strong Klan presence in the area. Notable incidents included 12 people arrested in 1967, including Rowan County's Registrar of Deeds, for threats, shootings, and bombings; as well as student protests over the playing of the song "Dixie" at school football games at integrated South Rowan High School caused the closing of the school for a few days."

I think its also important to remember that the documentary that is the subject of this post covers a very short period of time...something like 1965 to 1969. And the klan had about 10,000 members in NC at the height of that period, so in a sense it was a fringe group, given the population of the entire state.

Old 12-23-2015, 08:49 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadawg2 View Post
I think you're taking this way to personally. Just because there were some klan troubles in Rowan County doesn't reflect poorly on you.

In regard to school integration, I found this:

"Racial desegregation became a tough issue for many in the Rowan County Schools system. The separate Black schools were phased out, but many opposed to racial integration still put up a fight. This was aggravated by a strong Klan presence in the area. Notable incidents included 12 people arrested in 1967, including Rowan County's Registrar of Deeds, for threats, shootings, and bombings; as well as student protests over the playing of the song "Dixie" at school football games at integrated South Rowan High School caused the closing of the school for a few days."

I think its also important to remember that the documentary that is the subject of this post covers a very short period of time...something like 1965 to 1969. And the klan had about 10,000 members in NC at the height of that period, so in a sense it was a fringe group, given the population of the entire state.
Maybe so.

And I don't know much about South Rowan High, other than they were "The Rebels," imagine that. At that time, the Salisbury and County schools were separate school systems.

My Salisbury High class, 1970, takes tremendous pride, whether you are black or white, in the manner the two high schools came together and the absolute lack of anger, hate, or any nonsense. One of the most successful endeavors I have EVER been involved with.

Old 12-23-2015, 12:55 PM

128 posts, read 151,395 times
Could you imagine if the Klan made a come back. WRAL would be wetting themselves.

Old 12-23-2015, 05:03 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,678,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John EdwardsII View Post
Could you imagine if the Klan made a come back. WRAL would be wetting themselves.
I hope you aren't attempting to be funny. There is NOTHING funny about the Klan. They are currently trying to recruit in Iredell County. Nobody there thinks it's funny.

Old 12-24-2015, 09:01 AM

5,544 posts, read 8,314,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post

your version is more the way I remember it LLN. and I was there and do remember those times well. and I was there for integration of schools too. People of both races made an effort to make it go smoothly and after all we knew each other anyway.

Wonder how many of these attributed klansmen were 'white flight' from Atlanta also. As I recall there was a saying that 'nothing good comes from Atlanta' and it referred to the many 'white flight' people who escaped from the Atlanta civil rights issues to NC.

Old 12-24-2015, 07:40 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,513,090 times
Just reported: Ku Klux Klan recruitment fliers found scattered in Davidson County yards on Wednesfay night dso people could wake up with them on Christmas eve.

Quote:
Ku Klux Klan recruitment fliers were scattered in Davidson County yards overnight, according to police and deputies who received several calls about the letters.

The pieces of paper were holiday-themed and encouraged people to join the Klan, wishing them a “Merry White Christmas.”

They were inside small bags of rice, presumably to weigh them down as they were distributed in yards.
The same letters in bags of rice appeared in Rowan County neighborhoods over the last few days, too.
Ku Klux Klan recruitment fliers found scattered in Davidson County yards | myfox8.com

Old 10-26-2017, 09:46 AM

1 posts, read 1,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
Nothing wrong with week minded people getting together to show their support for other slow thinkers. That's why you had/have the Klan and today you have Trump supporters (sans the sheets).

Nothing wrong with that, everybody needs hero's.
Funny how a WEAK minded person wants to make derogatory comments about something and some people he obviously doesn't understand...
You're right, everyone does need HEROES, you should start with Miriam-Webster as one of your's...

Old 10-26-2017, 09:57 AM

1,291 posts, read 1,597,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Biggerstaff View Post
you should start with Miriam-Webster as one of your's
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina