Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2015, 11:43 AM

3 posts, read 4,261 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone! This my first post on this website so bear with me
My boyfriend and I are in our late teens-early 20s and we are thinking about moving from Denver to Raleigh in about 7 months, around the middle of July. Our main reason for moving is because I would like to attend school at the University of NC at Chapel Hill, as well as I am tired of the cold and we're ready to experience a new place. We were both born and raised here in Denver so we have little knowledge of what it's like to live anywhere else. We are looking into the Grand Arbor Reserve Apartments in Raleigh. Can anyone tell me a little more about this area, is it safe, friendly, fun? Just in general more about the city itself as well as anyone who has moved from Denver to Raleigh or vice a versa! Thanks everyone
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2015, 12:03 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,827,176 times
If you plan to go to UNC, you probably would rather live in Durham, not Raleigh--it's not a nice commute from Raleigh to Chapel Hill (I did it 3 different times (~1-2 years each) for jobs/grad school, and it got decidedly worse every few years). The worst part is parking in Chapel Hill.

What put Raleigh on your radar, if you've never been here? It's much more suburban than Denver.

If you don't know anything about the area, you really should come and do a scouting trip before asking about specific apartments. Would your boyfriend have a job lined up?

If school is your primary reason for moving, I'd look into Chapel Hill itself/student housing near campus.

Old 12-14-2015, 12:31 PM

I wouldnt be attending UNC until 2017 because i need to be a resident for at least a year to get in state tuition and we had originally looked into Durham but I read online that the crime rate there is bad. Also, we don't live right in Denver, we live in a smaller city called Arvada which is about 30 min west from Denver, suburbs are fine with us, we actually don't care much for Denver as it is often too crowded with much crime. We seemed to like Raleigh because it seems to have more of a homey feel, much like the place we live now, yet still with things to do. We will be visiting in late March to get a better feel for the area

Old 12-14-2015, 01:09 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,827,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marissa606 View Post
I wouldnt be attending UNC until 2017 because i need to be a resident for at least a year to get in state tuition and we had originally looked into Durham but I read online that the crime rate there is bad. Also, we don't live right in Denver, we live in a smaller city called Arvada which is about 30 min west from Denver, suburbs are fine with us, we actually don't care much for Denver as it is often too crowded with much crime. We seemed to like Raleigh because it seems to have more of a homey feel, much like the place we live now, yet still with things to do. We will be visiting in late March to get a better feel for the area
Poor Durham suffers from the "Durham is full of crime" meme which has really not been true in 20 years, and then only in certain areas (generally the Southeast).

West Durham is gorgeous, and downtown Durham is really growing and thriving. The #2 Broadway-on-Tour theatre in the US is there, with Lion King and Book of Morman coming (back) soon. Duke University and Duke Gardens are gorgeous to walk through...definitely don't go by the rumors about "Durham = crime" (I don't live there, but this board is definitely full of that assumption).

Rents are generally less in Durham than in Raleigh, as well.

Old 12-14-2015, 01:57 PM

well thank you very much for that bit of info, its hard for me not to go off of what i read on the internet since I have not been able to actually experience these cities for myself! Thank you(:

Old 12-14-2015, 08:48 PM

3,649 posts, read 4,501,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marissa606 View Post
If you're late teens early 20s you should definitely not skip Durham just because the Internet told you so...we are the Internet as well and here to tell ya it ain't that bad at all. There is one area of Durham where all the crap happens (near NCCU) pretty miuch anywhere else is fine...and for people your age much more exciting than Raleigh. Chapel Hill/Carrboro, Durham and Winston-Salem are my favorite cities in NC.

Old 12-16-2015, 01:51 PM

3,941 posts, read 6,726,483 times
I haven't lived in the state for years, but still have lots of good friends there who tell me Durham is not as bad as people say. I advise you to take a second look.

Old 12-16-2015, 04:59 PM

1,615 posts, read 1,967,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHelmit View Post
If you're late teens early 20s you should definitely not skip Durham just because the Internet told you so...we are the Internet as well and here to tell ya it ain't that bad at all. There is one area of Durham where all the crap happens (near NCCU) pretty miuch anywhere else is fine...and for people your age much more exciting than Raleigh. Chapel Hill/Carrboro, Durham and Winston-Salem are my favorite cities in NC.
I would strongly disagree with this. Raleigh has the significantly larger downtown of the two--with significantly more to do in it. Though Durham is fun and thriving as well. If you work in Chapel Hill you'll likely spend a lot of time in all three cities, as I do.

Old 12-16-2015, 05:02 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,785,743 times
Suggest this gets moved to the Raleigh, et al thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina