Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2015, 12:20 AM

22,173 posts, read 19,439,453 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
in a nutshell, how was this worse than D gerrymandering before?

though first, let me say that I wish the R's didn't do any gerrymandering. I really do wish that "my" party could have governed the right way, the way governance hadn't been done under the Dems. Alas, a pipedream of naivete.
Just look at the Presidential results by Congressional district between 2008 and 2012 to see how stark the difference is. Obama won the state in 2008 by a very close 0.33% margin, Romney's margin in 2012 wasn't quite as narrow, but still very close at 2.04%

Obama won 7 of the 13 Congressional districts in 2008 in a very close racee, however in a race almost as close in 2012 Obama only won 3 of the 13 Congressional districts. In 2008 5 of the 13 Congressional Districts in the state were within 10 points on the Presidential level, 4 of the 13 districts were within 6 points. In 2012 none of the Congressional districts were within 6 points, none were within 10 points, and only one was within 15 points (NC-13 was within 12).

In fact if the current lines were in place in 2008, despite winning the state (albeit narrowly) Obama would have only won 3 of the state's 13 Congressional Districts, and only two of the districts he would hve lost would have been within single digits (and at the tale end of single digits at that as NC-9 and NC-13 under the current lines would have gone to McCain by 9). Now that is some SERIOUS gerrymandering.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2015, 07:58 PM

6,370 posts, read 5,477,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
Now that I have moved away from the awful Northeast where the Liberals want to tax me to death just for public education I am in favor of the Republican Gerrymandering. Keeps the stupid white folks in their fold because who wants to waste tax dollars on education? Not me I already did that up North and where did it get me? Two highly educated boys both making big money in the health industry.
I retired here for cheap taxes not to support kids who's parents could give a crap about a quality education.
As long as Gerrymandering keeps my taxes low I'm all for it.

Sorry for all the Liberals who moved here for jobs but the Repubs. are not interested in you or your votes.

One more thing, the Liberals are coming for your guns.
I'd find this more hilarious if it weren't so terrifying that there are MANY people who would read this, take it literally, and agree 100%.

Old 12-27-2015, 02:10 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,024,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
I'd find this more hilarious if it weren't so terrifying that there are MANY people who would read this, take it literally, and agree 100%.

The only thing that I find offensive about it is the "two highly educated boys making big money" part. Too many people think that we can't produce highly educated children that make big money in the South, and that obviously is not true. A big part of NC's population DOES care about education and wants their tax dollars to support it.

Old 12-27-2015, 04:49 PM

6,370 posts, read 5,477,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
The only thing that I find offensive about it is the "two highly educated boys making big money" part. Too many people think that we can't produce highly educated children that make big money in the South, and that obviously is not true. A big part of NC's population DOES care about education and wants their tax dollars to support it.
Agreed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina