Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2016, 10:01 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexi_lex View Post
Is Greensboro really a dirty and run down city? Can you give me some differences between there and Winston-Salem besides population?
No, neither one is dirty and run down. I think the biggest differences between Greensboro and Winston-Salem is that Winston-Salem has a larger/taller downtown, is more historic, and a bit more artsy. But they aren't terribly different from one another.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2016, 10:07 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,822,690 times
Quote:
Another concern is that there are more born and raised in WS and Greensboro than Raleigh and CH. Seems I would be culture shocked and I want nothing to drive me back to this place they also seem to be a little behind as the other places seem more up to par.
In two posts, already I sense a strong vibe of "Keep away from me if you're a local". You do NOT need to be moving to NC if this is your attitude, as all NC cities still have plenty who are from here and proud of it. You might try somewhere like DC or Northern VA, where it really IS true that almost everybody is from somewhere else?

I suspect you'd get along fine with locals, but since you are dwelling on it, you are going to project this bias and thus people will in fact treat you in a less friendly manner. I'm not sure exactly what you're looking for, but it doesn't sound like it's in NC; our cites are fairly large but not impersonal.

Old 01-04-2016, 11:53 AM

20 posts, read 22,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
In two posts, already I sense a strong vibe of "Keep away from me if you're a local". You do NOT need to be moving to NC if this is your attitude, as all NC cities still have plenty who are from here and proud of it. You might try somewhere like DC or Northern VA, where it really IS true that almost everybody is from somewhere else?

I suspect you'd get along fine with locals, but since you are dwelling on it, you are going to project this bias and thus people will in fact treat you in a less friendly manner. I'm not sure exactly what you're looking for, but it doesn't sound like it's in NC; our cites are fairly large but not impersonal.
If I came off wrong or offended anyone let me make it clear that I am very eager to experience southern culture and make new friends no matter where they are from as long as they are nice. "Staying away from locals" is not what I meant. I was just saying a town full of locals would be more of a culture shock. I just want to feel comfortable that's all. I have considered other places and I think that North Carolina suits me well. A place where there are little to no locals would provide no sense of community or culture so that's definitely not what I am looking for.

Old 01-04-2016, 03:41 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,822,690 times
Quote:
If I came off wrong or offended anyone let me make it clear that I am very eager to experience southern culture and make new friends no matter where they are from as long as they are nice. "Staying away from locals" is not what I meant. I was just saying a town full of locals would be more of a culture shock. I just want to feel comfortable that's all. I have considered other places and I think that North Carolina suits me well. A place where there are little to no locals would provide no sense of community or culture so that's definitely not what I am looking for.
OK, but you seemed to imply that Greensboro was one of these "towns full of locals". No, it's a CITY, and cities always have tons of people from everywhere, especially in today's Sunbelt cities. There

Most of us agree that you should visit a few of the cities you're looking into before really centering in on any of them, as you don't seem to have much of an idea what to expect at all. Southern cities aren't like Northern "Rust Belt" cities, but it's impossible to explain why on a forum. You also might read City-Data's info pages on various NC cities, which tell a lot of factual things, including an interactive map where you can see parts of the city by various features including average rent.:

Old 01-05-2016, 07:19 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,425,126 times
Quote:
You're going to experience a culture shock. It doesn't hurt! It's a little misguided to think that locals won't be nice to you. The discomfort that comes with moving to a place where you have to work to find your way around and meet new people helps you grow. I've done it several times, so I know. Just take it easy and go one step at a time.

Old 01-05-2016, 11:14 AM

20 posts, read 22,791 times
I have nailed it down im 80% Raleigh 20% Greensboro I will be visiting both to see which one I like the best. Thanks for all of the responses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina