U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-05-2008, 12:22 PM

4 posts, read 9,402 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are going to relocate to NC in about 2 years (after my middle child graduates from HS). I'm trying to talk my parents into moving as well but my father is concerned about the process and getting a new license in another state. We are in NJ now.

He is legally blind in one eye (an accident from childhood) and thinks that he won't be able to get a license if he has to have an eye test in NC in order to get his driver's license there.

Does anyone know what the process actually is? Is it a simple written test or will he have to go for an eye test? I thought that some states actually do test those over a certain age but am not sure.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Kelly
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2008, 12:49 PM

5,660 posts, read 18,174,236 times
Everyone is required to pass a written examination and a vision test.

Newcomers Guide - http://www.ncdot.org/dmv/moving/newnc/newComersGuide/download/newcomers.pdf (broken link)

Last edited by mm34b; 02-05-2008 at 01:06 PM..

Old 02-05-2008, 01:41 PM

Oh that's not good for Dad. I'll have to find out what his vision actually is in his eyes. They won't go if he can't get his license there.
Thanks for the info.
Kelly

Old 02-05-2008, 08:51 PM

16,310 posts, read 14,509,657 times
I know several people that have lost an eye for various reasons, and they all have a NC drivers licenses. Not sure what restrictions they have.

I also know deaf people with a drivers license. One of the restrictions they have, which is not an issue with todays cars, is that they must have outside mirrors on both sides of the car. (right side mirrors used to be optional on cars)

Old 02-06-2008, 05:59 AM

2,657 posts, read 4,965,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly0464 View Post
He is legally blind in one eye (an accident from childhood) and thinks that he won't be able to get a license if he has to have an eye test in NC in order to get his driver's license there.
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Kelly
I'm not sure if an out-of-state ophthalmologist's medical evaluation would be valid here; check with the DMV; but my spouse flunked his eye exam a couple years back (I think he just had the misfortune to pick a bad day at the DMV. he's worn glasses for decades, but his prescription has been little altered over the past 10 years) and received a notice that states: "The Driver License Section recently reviewed your driving file and concluded that you should be medically evaluated to determine your ability to safely operate a motor vehicle".

I would advise checking with the DMV if he could be checked out in his home state, or if he would have to see an eye doctor here.
He went to the ophthalmologist with whom we've dealt for several years and got a note saying that his eyes were perfectly fine for driving as long as he wore glasses. The DMV said "hokay", and we've not heard from them since.

Old 02-08-2008, 09:21 PM

I have to talk to my dad and see when he plans to see his doc again and discuss how this would all work if he moved out of state and goes for his D.L. test.

Maybe all he'll need is a note from his doc stating that if he wears his glasses he is fine. BUT I remember him telling me (or maybe it was my mother giving me her version of what she thinks he does) that even wearing glasses he can only see "blurry figures" out of one eye. Scarey - cuz he still works full time and is out there on the road every day.

Thanks again everyone!
Kelly
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina