Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2016, 07:25 AM

1 posts, read 877 times

Advertisements

Hello to all;

A quick run down is as follows; I lived in Jacksonville, NC many years ago and have quite a few fond memories of the area. Ocracoke Island is one of my favorite places to get a way too for a week or so. I have always liked the Carolinas, especially North Carolina, but my knowledge of the metro areas is minimal. My girlfriend and I have an opportunity to start new jobs/transfer in Raleigh-Durham as well as Greenville and this got me thinking about other areas such as Winston-Salem/Greensboro, Charlotte, Ashville, Jacksonville, Wilmington, etc. I was wondering if anyone can weigh in with a worth while opinion. I am looking for the facts on the ground (or where I can further my own research) and opinions of the areas. Any information or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You

Adam
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2016, 03:17 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,338,660 times
Well, what specifically are you looking for? I'm sure lots of people could give you general opinions. Like, I like Chapel Hill, but am not overly fond of Fayetteville, but that's not going to help you a lot if you don't like the same kind of things I do.

What do you like in a city? Raleigh and Durham (two completely separate cities, no hyphen, that's the airport) are both great. I like them better than Greenville, but you might like Greenville if you liked Jacksonville and eastern NC. Or you might like Fayetteville if you like the military.

Old 01-09-2016, 09:15 PM

13,371 posts, read 27,044,128 times
I like Wilmington better than Jacksonville, but I don't know what that means to the OP. He was not discussing a job being a possibility in either place.

Old 01-10-2016, 05:08 AM

4,639 posts, read 6,382,360 times
Start by reading through the many existing threads on all the regional boards to get a feel for the many areas you're asking about.

If your job is in Raleigh or Greenville why are you looking at other areas?

What kind of area do you want to live in? Whats your housing budget?

Old 01-10-2016, 07:58 PM

1,826 posts, read 2,495,900 times
If your choice is between Raleigh/Durham and Greenville for a job then I'd choose Raleigh/Durham. There's much more to do there in comparison as well as an international airport for traveling.

Old 01-10-2016, 08:16 PM

8,804 posts, read 10,244,782 times
If I were to live in Eastern NC and not be on the coast or New Bern, Greenville would be that one and only city I'd be interested in. That said, I would live in Raleigh or Durham or Charlotte where I am now over G-Ville in a heartbeat.

The Triad, while not growing as fast as RDU and Charlotte is still a solid area. It's culturally the most southern among Charlotte and the Triangle.

Asheville and Wilmington are also both great cities and the "anchor" for the Mountains and Coast regions respectively. Asheville is a great beer and music town and the scenery is fantastic. DT Wilmington has the river and the battleship along with being close enough to the coast to get that nice sea breeze. Both cities also have the benefit of having a public 4 year university in the UNC system.

Jacksonville? I really don't have anything to positive to say about that place other than it's close to the coast. Others will disagree but it's not for me. Ditto Fayetteville.

Have you looked at New Bern by any chance? It's smaller than Wilmington, Jacksonville, and Greenville but historically its quite a gem being the first state capital. It also sits on the Trent and Neuse Rivers which IMO helps make it special. I can't say I'd be eager to move there but compared to nearby cities like Jacksonville, Kinston, and Goldsboro I would.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina