Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2006, 10:01 AM

2,639 posts, read 3,222,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stmaarten View Post
...and TORNADOS!!!! Maybe this person lives inland, therefore no worries about Hurricanes. But those darn TORNADOS......

I've been searching like crazy for a place in the mountains of either VA, NC, WV, or TN where tornadoes are far and few between and in the western/southwestern part of NC, they are very rare. Thanks goodness or I wouldn't even consider moving there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2006, 10:11 AM

5,660 posts, read 26,993,372 times

Old 11-22-2006, 12:25 PM

1,502 posts, read 4,082,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteAgent View Post
Did you forget Hugo in '89 that was a Hurricane for sure!
I remember that very well. I was little but I will never forget it.

Power lines and trees all across the street...we couldnt drive on the road so we had to walk to the store and stand in line while a store clerk took each customer one at a time thru the store.

No power for a week and a half, some for 3 weeks.

Old 06-26-2007, 12:06 PM

129 posts, read 488,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwarky View Post
No hurricanes? What are you talking about...NC gets hurricanes!
Yes! I do live inland...way inland. LOL, I'm in the western part of the state in the mountains. I think there is always the possibility of severe weather just about everywhere and there was a tornado here in the 1970's. I think a few people may have even been seriously injured, but for the most part, we don't get any extreme weather. I would like a little more snow, but other than that, it's GREAT!!!

Old 06-26-2007, 03:35 PM

331 posts, read 1,310,887 times
Okay I am from California getting ready to relocate so help me out. When you talk about the tornadoes in the eastern part of the state, does that include Charlotte and Winston Salem? So does Raleigh get hurricane weather? Im running away from the earthquakes and lack of seasons...(and expense of course).

Old 06-26-2007, 05:21 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori1961 View Post
Okay I am from California getting ready to relocate so help me out. When you talk about the tornadoes in the eastern part of the state, does that include Charlotte and Winston Salem? So does Raleigh get hurricane weather? Im running away from the earthquakes and lack of seasons...(and expense of course).
wow it always cracks me up when someone digs up a very old thread and bring it back to life lol

Your biggest concern is really over lightening than tornadoes. NC ranks just under florida in lightening fatalities. Tornadoes can happen anywhere in the state but above graphic shows what area they are common the problem with the state between murphy and raliegh is the rolling hills unlike in midwestern states you cannot just look down the road and see if one is coming due to the hilly terrain.

Old 06-26-2007, 07:28 PM

3,287 posts, read 9,183,864 times
Quote:
Did you forget Hugo in '89 that was a Hurricane for sure!
I think she slept thru that one, LOL.

Okay, back to the OP's question. I grew up in SC, spent my summers just across the line in NC (near Brevard) but have spent the last 6 years in MI (job related).

Now I live near Wilmington.

What I LOVE:
I can go to the grocery store and buy Duke's Mayo and White Lily Flour. (Had to order Duke's online for the last 6 years or take it back after a visit to family)
People are much more friendly, everywhere. (of course, still having most of my southern accent still helps)
I'm less than a half hour from the coast.

What I don't like:
I've moved into the path of hurricanes. But this is where the job was and I can always evacuate to my daddy's in the piedmont of SC.

Liz

Old 06-26-2007, 07:36 PM

485 posts, read 560,678 times
We are not there yet, but we are coming.

I was born in Maine, grew up in Michigan and spent the last 26 years in Arizona.

We will move to the Boone area.

I am looking forward to fishing, hiking, cooler temps (not over 100 for 5 straight months!), four seasons, mountains, green (instead of this brown), ASU the small (instead of ASU the 50,000), small town attitudes and friendliness, small churches (instead of 6,000 people who don't know each other), no brown cloud of smog, no scorpions (OK, but mosquitoes, deer flies, ticks, I know...), and a new adventure with my wife of 33 years.

It shall be great.

Old 06-26-2007, 07:40 PM

1,242 posts, read 3,758,918 times
I am from the midwest and when we moved weather was the big issue. I defy you to find a better weather pattern than in the foothills from Marion to Wilkesboro especially Morganton and Lenoir.

Old 06-27-2007, 02:44 PM

219 posts, read 852,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwarky View Post
Are you transplant person from the Northeast, Midwest, or elsewhere and now live in North Carolina? What part of the state do you live? Also, tell us all the things you like, and possibly love about living in North Carolina.
Rwarky/
Know what I don't like about North Carolina?
I haven't sold my house here and am NOT in my home in NC.
Can't wait.
Dennis / Woodlynne NJ
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina