Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2006, 07:10 PM

1,512 posts, read 8,167,631 times

Advertisements

Are you transplant person from the Northeast, Midwest, or elsewhere and now live in North Carolina? What part of the state do you live? Also, tell us all the things you like, and possibly love about living in North Carolina.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2006, 09:32 PM

653 posts, read 2,987,172 times
I am from Florida, and now live in Raleigh. We came here to follow a job, so we didn't come here necessarily by choice. My own experience is as a mom with a young family, and we are very happy here - we still say, if we could pick up our Florida friends and family and move them here, this would be eutopia.
Specifics:
Seasons! In Florida, you have hot, hotter, and then damp cold. Here, there are real seasons, and it's beautiful. It's all relative, but personally, I still laugh when people say it's humid. You don't know humid until you've walked across a parking lot in August after a 10 minute rainstorm in Florida.

Friendly people! Not everyone, that would be creepy. But, here, people let me merge in traffic. They even wave. And, yesterday, someone let me cut line in the grocery store when I only had 4 items. And she smiled!

Schools! I'm opening a can, but search my other posts on the subject. I've taught elsewhere, and I've taught here, and I have kids in public school here, and there's a reason why people move here to put their kids in our schools.

Parks/nature! There are some awesome parks here. We were at Blue Jay point park today, and the weather was great, and my kids spent hours looking at bugs and leaves. That's just good family fun, for free.

So that's what we like and love about NC!

Old 11-20-2006, 09:17 AM

129 posts, read 489,035 times
There are a lot of things I like about moving here.

No hurricanes!
Four distinct and wonderful seasons
Slower pace of life
low crime and tax rates
lower cost of living overall
This truly is home!

There are some things that aren't perfect...(no place is!)
I am not real happy with the school system. I live in a smaller town and have seen quite a bit of favoritism, and not necessarily towards locals, just not an unbiased atmosphere.
I really miss trash pick up. It took me awhile to get used to hauling it all to the green boxes.

And believe it or not, LOL! 7-11...

Old 11-20-2006, 08:38 PM

1,512 posts, read 8,167,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goingreene View Post
There are a lot of things I like about moving here.

No hurricanes!
Four distinct and wonderful seasons
Slower pace of life
low crime and tax rates
lower cost of living overall
This truly is home!

There are some things that aren't perfect...(no place is!)
I am not real happy with the school system. I live in a smaller town and have seen quite a bit of favoritism, and not necessarily towards locals, just not an unbiased atmosphere.
I really miss trash pick up. It took me awhile to get used to hauling it all to the green boxes.

And believe it or not, LOL! 7-11...

No hurricanes? What are you talking about...NC gets hurricanes!

Old 11-20-2006, 08:43 PM

1,800 posts, read 5,718,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwarky View Post
No hurricanes? What are you talking about...NC gets hurricanes!
...and TORNADOS!!!! Maybe this person lives inland, therefore no worries about Hurricanes. But those darn TORNADOS......

Old 11-21-2006, 06:20 AM

1,417 posts, read 6,908,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stmaarten View Post
...and TORNADOS!!!! Maybe this person lives inland, therefore no worries about Hurricanes. But those darn TORNADOS......

Hurricanes happen along the coast and nearly all of the tornados happen in the eastern 1/3 of the state. Yes, they can happen in the other 2/3's, but rarely. I've lived here Charlotte area all of my 41 years and have never seen one.

Old 11-21-2006, 06:46 AM

1,800 posts, read 5,718,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by friendnc View Post
Hurricanes happen along the coast and nearly all of the tornados happen in the eastern 1/3 of the state. Yes, they can happen in the other 2/3's, but rarely. I've lived here Charlotte area all of my 41 years and have never seen one.
That's a relief...41 years is a pretty good track record!

Old 11-21-2006, 06:44 PM

21 posts, read 85,762 times
We moved here 4 weeks ago from South Florida and I agree with everything NCHomefinder said. I know it's only been a short time, but I have never been happier! My husband works from home now and although I know that doesn't work for a lot of people, it has really been nice for us. I feel so much less stressed-out and the relatively slow pace thrills me. We have wonderful neighbors (they have daughters and sons the same age as my kids), our dogs are ecstatic with the open space and I have never encountered such friendly people. Of course, since I am probably smiling from ear-to-ear when I approach them, they either have no choice or are taking pity on me!

I know a lot of people don't think much of Reidsville(which is where we moved) but I have found my slice of heaven. I also know that I haven't been here that long and I appreciate the cautionary tales I have read on this forum, but this place really works for me!

Oh wait, I do miss DSL, but dial-up is a small price to pay for how good I feel!
Okay, I'll stop now.

Old 11-21-2006, 06:59 PM

2,314 posts, read 2,835,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by friendnc View Post

Did you forget Hugo in '89 that was a Hurricane for sure!

Old 11-21-2006, 07:39 PM

5,660 posts, read 27,002,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteAgent View Post
Did you forget Hugo in '89 that was a Hurricane for sure!
As the center of the storm rolled past Charlotte, wind gusts of over 85 mph buffeted the region. Trees crashed into homes, cars, and power lines, and utility poles snapped. Charlotte lost more than eighty thousand trees to the storm, many of which were more than seventy years old. Ninety-eight percent of the city's residents lost power, and for some, repairs were not made for more than two weeks. Power outages caused large amounts of raw sewage to bypass treatment plants and flow into streams throughout Mecklenburg County. North Carolina's largest metropolitan area was brought to its knees by the storm.

More

http://www.ibiblio.org/uncpress/hurricanes/nc_hugo.html (broken link)

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina