Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2016, 11:30 PM

2,679 posts, read 2,897,934 times

Advertisements

After recently traveling through the "coastal country" as I call it, you couldn't tell me it wasn't the pits of impoverishment just based on the optics of areas around US-17, US-13, NC-101, etc... But I'm thinking mountain country probably takes the cake as far as percentages... The views are much more accessible down east...

Eastern NC catches a lot of flak on here, but if I had to be dropped off in one of the state's most impoverished regions, I'd take my chances in the country of the coastal plain/eastern NC instead of the mountains...

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2016, 12:30 AM

6,048 posts, read 18,413,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UserNamesake View Post
Eastern NC catches a lot of flak on here, but if I had to be dropped off in one of the state's most impoverished regions, I'd take my chances in the country of the coastal plain/eastern NC instead of the mountains...Thoughts?
I'll bite.
Why do you say that?

Old 01-23-2016, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southlander View Post
I'll bite.
Why do you say that?

The mountains appear to have very little economic growth... and Asheville is the closest census-defined urban area.

Old 01-23-2016, 07:54 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,319,644 times
You can look up this info easily. City-Data has good stats on it or you can go to the US Census website.

The per capita income in Robeson County (southeast NC, not sure if it counts as coastal) is $15,343
31.7% of people live below the poverty line
Robeson County QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

The per capita income in Scotland County (southeast NC, not sure if it counts as coastal) is $15,679
32.3% of people live below the poverty line
Scotland County QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

The per capita income in Hertford County (northeast coastal NC) is $17,863
26% of people live below the poverty line
Hertford County QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

The per capita income in Macon County (SW NC mountains) is $23,213
21.3% of people live below the poverty line
Macon County QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

The per capita income in Cherokee County (SW NC mountains) is $18,340
17.9% of people live below the poverty line
Cherokee County QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

The per capita income in Yancey County (NW NC mountains) $20,257
20.1% of people live below the poverty line
Yancey County QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

Eastern NC is much more impoverished than the mountains.

Old 01-23-2016, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
You can look up this info easily. City-Data has good stats on it or you can go to the US Census website.

The per capita income in Robeson County (southeast NC, not sure if it counts as coastal) is $15,343
31.7% of people live below the poverty line
Robeson County QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

The per capita income in Scotland County (southeast NC, not sure if it counts as coastal) is $15,679
32.3% of people live below the poverty line
Scotland County QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

The per capita income in Hertford County (northeast coastal NC) is $17,863
26% of people live below the poverty line
Hertford County QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

The per capita income in Macon County (SW NC mountains) is $23,213
21.3% of people live below the poverty line
Macon County QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

The per capita income in Cherokee County (SW NC mountains) is $18,340
17.9% of people live below the poverty line
Cherokee County QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

The per capita income in Yancey County (NW NC mountains) $20,257
20.1% of people live below the poverty line
Yancey County QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

Eastern NC is much more impoverished than the mountains.
solid numbers... thanks for posting. but you definitely have to dig beneath the numbers... they just tell a part of the story, especially when the myriad of info. gathering and design variables are factored in. Your post inspired me to do some digging...

Special Report: The poverty problem in the rural mountains of WNC: Part 1 | CarolinaPublicPress.org

Special Report: The poverty problem in the rural mountains of WNC: Part 2 | CarolinaPublicPress.org

Old 01-23-2016, 10:43 AM

6,373 posts, read 5,482,840 times
Eastern NC will always catch more flack for two reasons....

It's ugly:

The poverty in the mountains can be overlooked/forgiven because not only does the natural beauty make it more of a tourist destination (thus bringing more money/economic opportunity to locals) but the sheer fact that there are dense forests, waterfalls, and mountains make it more aesthetically pleasing. The run-down shacks actually take on "charm".... That's not the case for Eastern NC. It's pancake flat and there are more cotton fields than forest in most areas. The rusted-out single-wides with 2.5 cars rotting in the side yard stick out like a soar thumb much worse.

The demographics:

No way around it; there is a racial bias in how we perceive poverty; and it "looks worse" on people of color. Many towns and counties in Eastern NC are majority black the majority of people in poverty are black and that scares most people more than the poverty stricken white hillbillies in Western NC.

Old 01-23-2016, 10:45 AM

1,288 posts, read 1,595,482 times
This is a strange thread. Every area has poverty. Would you like to be dropped off in southeast Raleigh? Or right outside of uptown Charlotte? My GPS took me into a part of Portsmouth, VA last month that I wish I could have snapped my fingers and gotten out of.

I've lived in eastern NC my entire life; born and raised. I can't wait to move to the mountains. The poverty here or there isn't something I take into consideration.

Old 01-23-2016, 10:47 AM

1,288 posts, read 1,595,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
Eastern NC will always catch more flack for two reasons....

It's ugly:

The poverty in the mountains can be overlooked/forgiven because not only does the natural beauty make it more of a tourist destination (thus bringing more money/economic opportunity to locals) but the sheer fact that there are dense forests, waterfalls, and mountains make it more aesthetically pleasing. The run-down shacks actually take on "charm".... That's not the case for Eastern NC. It's pancake flat and there are more cotton fields than forest in most areas. The rusted-out single-wides with 2.5 cars rotting in the side yard stick out like a soar thumb much worse.

The demographics:

No way around it; there is a racial bias in how we perceive poverty; and it "looks worse" on people of color. Many towns and counties in Eastern NC are majority black the majority of people in poverty are black and that scares most people more than the poverty stricken white hillbillies in Western NC.
Bingo. I didn't know a way to frame this but you did it very well.

Also, not gonna lie, the hillbilly types are much more friendly and welcoming than the impoverished set down here. They don't seem to have the proverbial chip on their shoulder.

Old 01-23-2016, 10:59 AM

6,107 posts, read 4,601,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UserNamesake View Post
After recently traveling through the "coastal country" as I call it, you couldn't tell me it wasn't the pits of impoverishment just based on the optics of areas around US-17, US-13, NC-101, etc... But I'm thinking mountain country probably takes the cake as far as percentages... The views are much more accessible down east...

Eastern NC catches a lot of flak on here, but if I had to be dropped off in one of the state's most impoverished regions, I'd take my chances in the country of the coastal plain/eastern NC instead of the mountains...

Thoughts?
The areas you were in really aren't the highest poverty areas of rural/eastern NC, and even in areas that are, if you're on a main highway, you may not be seeing areas with the most dilapidated housing, etc. since the elected officials want to keep the main highways looking "presentable", even in the poorest areas.

US 17 is very close to the coast, and in many areas, such as Brunswick County, have high end developments for retirees and other upscale amenities. US 13 and NC 101 are either going through a very rural area of forestland, are near military bases, or are near Greenville, which is itself an anomaly for Eastern NC (and would likely be very impoverished without East Carolina University).

As poppydog mentioned, some of the areas in Robeson County, Scotland County, etc. are high poverty and have been that way for a long time, even during the supposed economic expansions in the last few decades. Those economies have been based on textiles and other manufacturing that NAFTA ravaged, and because of low education levels within those counties, they haven't been able to recover much.

But even in those counties, if you're on a main road, you may not get the full sense of poverty that you would from a poorer area in town or in a rural area. For example, there's even a Harris Teeter in Laurinburg, which you don't find in impoverished areas and is unusual since Harris Teeter (a mid to mid-upper scale grocery) has left most rural and working class areas.

Old 01-23-2016, 11:25 AM

3,080 posts, read 4,851,029 times
FWIW, most people don't consider Robeson and Scotland County to be located in Eastern NC.

Using stats for Jones County and Hertford Co would be fair game though.

And in all reality Coastal NC is not a high poverty area...the counties on the coast have differentiated themselves from Eastern NC...this would include Brunswick, New Hanover, Pender, Onslow, Carteret, Dare and Currituck Counties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina