U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-07-2008, 04:21 PM

187 posts, read 373,161 times

Advertisements

I've been doing some research on good/safe areas to live in NC and for the most part have been finding alot of areas with High crime ratings anywhere from high 200's up to 800+, with a few exceptions here and there that are in the low category (50's - 90's). We live in IL, far west sub. of Chicago, and most cities around us are in the very low crime range (20 - 50). We'd love to buy an acre or two of land in NC and eventually build a home (retirement). We will consider all regions - mtn., pied., coast. Prefer not being too close to the coast, due to hurricanes, or too high in the mtns. as we're trying to get to a warmer yearly climate. Any suggestions of CITIES would be appreciated!

Last edited by LindaIL; 02-07-2008 at 05:30 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2008, 04:53 PM

22,005 posts, read 39,544,767 times
Sounds like Foothills, Piedmont and Sandhills will fit your needs
Check out cities crime stats North Carolina til you find a city that suits your needs

Old 02-07-2008, 05:30 PM
NCN

14,085 posts, read 12,292,731 times
1. Yancey
2. Avery
3. Madison
4. Clay
5. Ashe
If you do a search on this website for "lowest crime in North Carolina" you can come to a thread that mentioned these as the counties with least crime. They may all be in the mountains, though. I think you didn't want the mountains.

Best Kept Secret :Albemarle, NC (Stanly County)

I did a search for low crime town in North Carolina and came up with the website above.

I don't know about the crime rate, etc. You can use the City Data information about towns in Stanley County. I know and love the area and our school in Union County played their teams several times. They have wonderful children, polite and respectful.

Last edited by NCN; 02-07-2008 at 05:55 PM..

Old 02-07-2008, 05:49 PM

5,660 posts, read 18,174,236 times
Default NC State Bureau of Investigation Report

2006 Crime in NC - http://sbi2.jus.state.nc.us/crp/publ...%20Summary.pdf

The 2007 report will be issued in June 2008.

Old 02-08-2008, 01:01 PM

187 posts, read 373,161 times
Thanks everyone for your helpful info. I'll definitely look in Albemarle and the other areas mentioned! The climate seems pretty much what were looking for and being between the mountains and coast would be ideal. We're about 15-20 min. (a little too far) from any major shopping right now. A 10 minute drive would be ideal - not to close, not too far. Hopefully we'll be able to visit some areas over the summer to get a feel of the different cities. We're in a somewhat rural town in NW IL and we love the open space and quiet, but have been tired of the cold winters for several years. Moving to NC or SC has been on our to do list for a long time. Unfortunately, we'll probably buy the land first and then move in 5-10 years. Thanks again!

Linda

Old 02-08-2008, 01:11 PM

90 posts, read 243,784 times
Default Nice NC Areas

My husband and I lived in Greensboro NC near the PTI airport and absolutely loved it! Low cime, nice homes, friendly people. Not good for looking for work but wonderful to retire. Its is centrally located close enough to Viginia to visit there or other parts of NC. If it were not for the lack of jobs we would move back in a heartbeat. We have settled on relocating to Greenville SC for now. Good luck with your search!
tcar509

Old 02-10-2008, 09:11 PM

5 posts, read 20,327 times
Stanley Nc
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina