Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2016, 04:37 PM

1,826 posts, read 2,495,577 times

Advertisements

It looks better than the old one but other than for partisan reasons, what's the point of isolating the urban areas into their own districts?

Looks like 4 and 12 are guaranteed to be blue while 9 and 2 are guaranteed to be red.

I'd rather see Durham and Orange make up district 4 while all of Wake is in 2 but then I guess that would add enough to 2 to make it blue. Overall they didn't really change anything, the districts who were red will stay red and the ones that were blue remain blue. It's still cleverly carved out to ensure certain outcomes.

The carving out specific urban areas to remove a certain group from a district is what makes it contentious. Just divide the things by county lines and I think more people would be satisfied.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2016, 06:06 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,212,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina_native View Post
New map looks a lot more reasonable on the surface.

But already Democrats are complaining that it does not take race into factor - pretty much the exact opposite of the original complaint. The new map keeps the same districts ratio 10-3.

Republicans are drawing the maps, so they are going to favor Republicans.

Kind of sounds like the plaintiffs are never going to be satisfied, which is what the court probably will find. The state went back, redrew the maps, didn't factor race, and your still not satisfied?
when partisanship is the norm, then you'll never have satisfied minorities. and by minorities, I mean political, not protected classes.

Old 02-17-2016, 06:25 PM

601 posts, read 964,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeusAV View Post
It looks better than the old one but other than for partisan reasons, what's the point of isolating the urban areas into their own districts?

Looks like 4 and 12 are guaranteed to be blue while 9 and 2 are guaranteed to be red.

I'd rather see Durham and Orange make up district 4 while all of Wake is in 2 but then I guess that would add enough to 2 to make it blue. Overall they didn't really change anything, the districts who were red will stay red and the ones that were blue remain blue. It's still cleverly carved out to ensure certain outcomes.

The carving out specific urban areas to remove a certain group from a district is what makes it contentious. Just divide the things by county lines and I think more people would be satisfied.
US congressional districts must have an average of about 710k in population, with a five percent up or down in wiggle-room. If urban areas aren't given their own districts, especially with their high population density, then you're left with another form of gerrymandering where the the urban area is divided up like a pie, usually deluding the political power (mostly Democratic). I actually think how they drew up district 12 is ideally how an urban area with that sort of population density should look like. However, in the case of districts 1, 2, and 4, Wake should have also gotten the same deal, and Durham, Chatham, and Orange should have been given their own district. Likewise, Greensboro to Winston-Salem should share a single continuous district.

In a "perfect world", NC could easily have five red-leaning districts, five blue-leaning districts, and three competitive districts.

Old 02-17-2016, 06:44 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,684,299 times
They still have Asheville gerrymandered into District 10 so that Gastonia cancels their votes.

Old 02-17-2016, 08:30 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,518,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
They still have Asheville gerrymandered into District 10 so that Gastonia cancels their votes.
They only need to fix the districts that were impacted by the old district one and 12. Since district 12 impacted more counties more surrounding districts were impacted.
I was amazed at new map basically moved district 13 to a totally different region. So Republican George Holding district was moved from the coastal plain to Davidson, Davie and Iredell with High Point.

Old 02-17-2016, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
They only need to fix the districts that were impacted by the old district one and 12. Since district 12 impacted more counties more surrounding districts were impacted.
I was amazed at new map basically moved district 13 to a totally different region. So Republican George Holding district was moved from the coastal plain to Davidson, Davie and Iredell with High Point.
True. I wonder who the unlucky souls in Mecklenburg are who got assigned to District 10.

Old 02-18-2016, 09:16 AM

3,083 posts, read 4,857,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina_native View Post
New map looks a lot more reasonable on the surface.

But already Democrats are complaining that it does not take race into factor - pretty much the exact opposite of the original complaint. The new map keeps the same districts ratio 10-3.

Republicans are drawing the maps, so they are going to favor Republicans.

Kind of sounds like the plaintiffs are never going to be satisfied, which is what the court probably will find. The state went back, redrew the maps, didn't factor race, and your still not satisfied?
New map makes more sense than the old. But no one can argue that race is still not a factor. Just about every district is factoring it in somehow...splitting counties or cities based on racial lines.

Wasn't there some previous rule about not splitting counties...or at least limiting that?

Old 02-18-2016, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
New map makes more sense than the old. But no one can argue that race is still not a factor. Just about every district is factoring it in somehow...splitting counties or cities based on racial lines.

Wasn't there some previous rule about not splitting counties...or at least limiting that?
They're supposed to stay to county lines as much as possible. That's a joke, even with the "improved" version.

Old 02-18-2016, 12:17 PM

9,145 posts, read 14,764,276 times
The real answer is to go to a Commision to draw up districts in the future but that will never happen because each party doesn't want to give up control when they have it.

Of course keep in kind that the whole gerrymandering thing in these cases goes back to the 90s when the democrats were in control. They drew up the two wacky districts accounting for race in a "favorable" way.

It's hard to argue that on the surface that the new maps don't look more compact and follow county lines more, maybe with the exception of district 4 which I'm sure they did to try to balance Orange with more republican parts of Wake.

Old 02-18-2016, 03:39 PM

4,218 posts, read 8,529,957 times
Wow, I live less than 2 miles from Virginia Foxx, and now - if this new map is approved - I finally get to vote for or against her. Currently our congressman for Avery County is Mark Meadows who lives in Cashiers, 130 miles (3 hrs' drive) from Avery County. It's probably been 20 years since I've been to Cashiers. We have very little in common with the area south and west of Asheville.

Aside from political party maneuvering, I agree, the new map looks more cohesive with more compact districts... for the most part.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina