U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2006, 11:42 AM

40 posts, read 100,972 times
Default Christian Fellowship in Rutherford, Burke, Caldwell, Surry or nearby counties

We are thinking about moving to North Carolina and are hoping we can find a nondenominational group of Christians that meet for worship outside of a traditional church.

The most important factor is that they take the Bible seriously.

The worship meeting would be open (rather than scripted) and participatory. (Anyone can pick a song to sing or pray out loud.)

The teaching would be done by different men in the group rather than a pastor.

Does anyone knows of a group like that (could be in a home) anywhere near Lenoir, Hickory, and Morganton, as far south as Rutherfordton, as far east as Lexington, or up near Dobson or Mt. Airy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2006, 01:41 PM

325 posts, read 974,684 times
I'm sure there are Christian groups in that part of the state that fellowship in that manner, but searching for any organizations with a website I came up dry. Try looking at the links on the Charlotte Christian station (link is below). They have tons of websites listed and maybe something will be in the area in which you are looking. Best of luck, and God bless!
www.newlife919.com/links.htm

Old 11-20-2006, 05:40 PM

20,009 posts, read 20,400,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Light View Post
We are thinking about moving to North Carolina and are hoping we can find a nondenominational group of Christians that meet for worship outside of a traditional church.

The most important factor is that they take the Bible seriously.

The worship meeting would be open (rather than scripted) and participatory. (Anyone can pick a song to sing or pray out loud.)

The teaching would be done by different men in the group rather than a pastor.

Does anyone knows of a group like that (could be in a home) anywhere near Lenoir, Hickory, and Morganton, as far south as Rutherfordton, as far east as Lexington, or up near Dobson or Mt. Airy?
I'm just curious why you don't want to go to a church?

Old 11-20-2006, 09:26 PM

Default Why not church?

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
I'm just curious why you don't want to go to a church?

Where we fellowship (with about 100 people) some of the people use the term "church" and some use "assembly" or "fellowship." We've been there for about a year and a half. Before that I was in church. Here are what I see as the main differences, and why they are important.

There is no pastor, which means that there are no laypeople, either. All are just Christians, all have equal access to God, all are responsible for studying the Bible. Most of the people seem to know the Bible well from personal study. At the churches, a few people really read the Bible, but many relied on the pastor to teach it to them.

The teaching is done by different men. If a brother has something on his heart to share, he has that opportunity. The result, again, is that more people are serious about the Bible. Also, people judge for themselves whether what the brother says is true, based on their own study of the Bible. In a church, many people think the pastor is closer to God and knows more about the Bible than they do - so they believe whatever he says.

The worship time is different. There is no song leader or worship team. (We do have a pianist and two guitarists, but they are to support the singing and are not at all showy.) The focus is on the Lord, on his character, on what he has done. People call out song numbers or pray out loud (one at a time). Sometimes it is quiet for a bit between prayers and songs, other times they come pretty fast. The prayers are not prayers of supplication, but only of worship and thanksgiving. Although we do pray for people and requests at other times, in the worship meeting we just worship.

We have small-group midweek Bible studies and prayer meetings in homes, but we don't have "programs," which I think can be distracting.

There is no offering taken. Financial needs are low, since there is no pastor. There is a box in the back for people to put money in if they want.

There is more but I have to go. I loved both of my churches, and I did grow there, but that isn't where my husband and I need to be now.

Old 11-20-2006, 09:34 PM

44,176 posts, read 54,322,181 times
Quote:
Where we fellowship (with about 100 people) some of the people use the term "church" and some use "assembly" or "fellowship." We've been there for about a year and a half. Before that I was in church. Here are what I see as the main differences, and why they are important.

There is no pastor, which means that there are no laypeople, either. All are just Christians, all have equal access to God, all are responsible for studying the Bible. Most of the people seem to know the Bible well from personal study. At the churches, a few people really read the Bible, but many relied on the pastor to teach it to them.

The teaching is done by different men. If a brother has something on his heart to share, he has that opportunity. The result, again, is that more people are serious about the Bible. Also, people judge for themselves whether what the brother says is true, based on their own study of the Bible. In a church, many people think the pastor is closer to God and knows more about the Bible than they do - so they believe whatever he says.

The worship time is different. There is no song leader or worship team. (We do have a pianist and two guitarists, but they are to support the singing and are not at all showy.) The focus is on the Lord, on his character, on what he has done. People call out song numbers or pray out loud (one at a time). Sometimes it is quiet for a bit between prayers and songs, other times they come pretty fast. The prayers are not prayers of supplication, but only of worship and thanksgiving. Although we do pray for people and requests at other times, in the worship meeting we just worship.

We have small-group midweek Bible studies and prayer meetings in homes, but we don't have "programs," which I think can be distracting.

There is no offering taken. Financial needs are low, since there is no pastor. There is a box in the back for people to put money in if they want.

There is more but I have to go. I loved both of my churches, and I did grow there, but that isn't where my husband and I need to be now.
NO offense, but if "all have equal access to God and studying the Bible", why don't the women ever get to teach???? Sure doesn't sound very equal

Old 11-21-2006, 05:43 AM

94 posts, read 233,984 times
Sarah_Light,

Im failing to understand the concept of the type of assembly you're seeking.

I have no desire to get into a bible debate, but just as Paul asks the rhetorical question: "Are all apostles? Are all prophets? Are all teachers?" I too have to ask: what would be the purpose of a church where all are teachers?

I still think the closest thing you will find is a cell church. At my old cell church we had two "leaders" but their purpose was to give order and structure more or less. They just basically led the group but we all participated in the discussions. We did have a music leader, as well, (one of the leader's wives) but this wasn't for show; it was simply because not everyone knows the words to every hymn or song, so she would put them up on a projector so everyone could follow along. It was still very casual and praise oriented, however.

Also there was no offering taken here either. We too had the box on the wall for anyone who did wish to give.

I hope you find what you're seeking. But from my experience this sounds much more like a home bible study (except with all teachers & no students ) than a church.

fern

Old 11-21-2006, 10:37 AM

Default Why don't the women teach?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
NO offense, but if "all have equal access to God and studying the Bible", why don't the women ever get to teach???? Sure doesn't sound very equal
True, in that sense it isn't equal. I know women who are wonderful, effective Bible teachers. I'm talking about not having a clergy-laity distinction. I realize there is a male-female one.

Women do teach in the women's Bible study, but not in the general worship meeting.

Old 11-21-2006, 10:51 AM

Default Are all teachers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fern33 View Post
Sarah_Light,

just as Paul asks the rhetorical question: "Are all apostles? Are all prophets? Are all teachers?" I too have to ask: what would be the purpose of a church where all are teachers?

fern
I probably was not clear. Not all are teachers. In our assembly of about 100 people, there are about 6 who do most of the teaching. (In addition, those involved in home Bible studies take turns leading/teaching.) Hopefully, they do this because it is their gift.We believe that pastor and teacher are spiritual gifts, but in this assembly they are not positions.

Although not all are teachers, all are encouraged to participate, whether it's by opening the meeting with a short testimony or encouragement, by teaching, by choosing a song for all to sing or by praying aloud.

Old 11-21-2006, 11:04 AM

44,176 posts, read 54,322,181 times
Quote:
I probably was not clear. Not all are teachers. In our assembly of about 100 people, there are about 6 who do most of the teaching. (In addition, those involved in home Bible studies take turns leading/teaching.) Hopefully, they do this because it is their gift.We believe that pastor and teacher are spiritual gifts, but in this assembly they are not positions.

Although not all are teachers, all are encouraged to participate, whether it's by opening the meeting with a short testimony or encouragement, by teaching, by choosing a song for all to sing or by praying aloud.
Again, not to be contentious, just curious here...what are the qualifications of these 6 people who teach? How can you be sure you are having scripture properly interpreted? Have they been to divinity school or have theological backgrounds? Bible study is all well and good for the sake of building community, but when it comes to the actual biblical interpretation I worry about the lay individual's ability to comprehend the complexities involved.

Old 11-21-2006, 11:29 AM

957 posts, read 3,093,329 times
Sounds a little like a "Friends" or some kind of "Brethren" group. I know that some of them are structured like this. Not sure about the Moravian's up near Winston Salem.
That part of NC is going to be very traditional and heavily Baptist in orientation. Maybe you should go with the intent of starting something like this.
PS-I used to be one of those professional pastors in NC for 12 years. Five years over in McDowell Co., not far from there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina