Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2016, 07:45 PM

983 posts, read 3,987,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Actually, the silly argument is arguing that teacher pay is low when in fact they get free months off during the summer. That means their average monthly pay for time worked is even higher than the average worker in NC.
Teachers get paid for 10 months of work...what they actually work. But you go sit in professional development during the summer---required for your work. What? You expect to get paid for it??? Not teachers!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2016, 07:53 PM

Let me tell you people who have never taught school that think it's just such a cushy jobs with tons of benefits.......it's THE hardest job you will ever do!!! You spend all waking hours at home planning, grading, creating, then go to work from 7:30 in the morning until approximately 5 in the afternoon--or whenever the janitor makes you leave so he can set the alarm, go home, tend to your family, put the kids and spouse to bed, spend the rest of the evening working. Spend all weekend creating lesson plans for the next week. While you're at school, you have children who come in not ready to learn----they're being abused at home, parents were up all night drinking, carrying on, etc, they have no food. They come in on Monday morning starved to death and can't wait to get to breakfast. They are grade levels behind in abilities but they have parents who either aren't capable of helping them, or just flat out don't care. But you have 25 kids in your class and an assistant MAYBE 2 hours a day to help and with all of those assessments, there's no time to give that ONE child, who desparately needs one-on-one time, that time. You worry about Johnny all weekend, wondering what sort of mood he's going to be in on Monday moring because he's going to set the tone for the class for the day. The administration doesn't deal with those kids are who are such severe behavior problems that they disrupt your class no matter what you do. Parents blame you because their kids act like fools, because their "sweetie" "would NEVER do that!"

Yeah...teachers have it easy. Believe me, you need that break during the summer to regain some sense of sanity. And I'd LOVE to know what tax breaks teachers get. That's right...there are NONE!! The legislature has taken away every benefit teachers have ever had. Such an easy job--that's why there are no job openings in the schools and the colleges don't have room for all of the education majors! Yeah, right!

Old 02-19-2016, 08:59 PM

'Not Worth It': Why NC College Students Are Turning Away From Teaching | WUNC

Old 02-19-2016, 09:01 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,990,388 times
"It's too easy, and it pays too much! I like more of a challenge, and I find it exceedingly boring to try to keep myself occupied all summer."

Old 02-20-2016, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchie View Post
"It's too easy, and it pays too much! I like more of a challenge, and I find it exceedingly boring to try to keep myself occupied all summer."
What part of teachers don't have "the entire summer" off do you not get?? Teachers spend time---unpaid--- in required professional development and spend quite a bit of their "free time" preparing for the next year and spend time in their classrooms over the summer. Teachers DO NOT have all this "idle" time that people try to claim they do!!

Old 02-20-2016, 06:41 AM

3 posts, read 2,493 times
Yes, it is true that the NC schools are not the best schools in comparison to other schools in the US. The pay is less than schools in other states but so is the cost of living.

Teaching in North Carolina is definitely challenging. There is a lack of teachers which causes larger class sizes. There is a lack of supplies and equipment. Also, many of the school systems are failing. However, these problems are not unique to North Carolina.

If you are a teacher that wants to make a difference and you aren't in it just for the money, than I would consider North Carolina. North Carolina is a beautiful state with a lot to offer. The people are friendly. The housing is affordable. It isn't as congested as the Northeast and it has a slower pace of life.

Good teachers are a valuable commodity. So wherever you decide to teach. I wish you well.

Formerly form NJ/current NC resident

Old 02-20-2016, 09:37 AM

2,798 posts, read 2,990,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRoyal10900 View Post
What part of teachers don't have "the entire summer" off do you not get?? Teachers spend time---unpaid--- in required professional development and spend quite a bit of their "free time" preparing for the next year and spend time in their classrooms over the summer. Teachers DO NOT have all this "idle" time that people try to claim they do!!
What part of "sarcasm" do you not get? My mother taught elementary school for 22 years and I remember exactly how much she worked in the summer, in the evenings, on the weekends....

Old 02-29-2016, 04:28 PM

1 posts, read 632 times
Default Teacher considering move to NC

Hi MissAn
Having read your original post I was intrigued as to what your thoughts are now. I am also in the exact position you are, having been offered the same visa by the same company (I gather!).
I came on this site to rid myself of my anxieties but it's only served to heighten them! It's such a huge move and teaching is never easy, but I guess I was thinking of all the fun I would have in NC and the surrounding states to counteract the challenges. Now I'm even more confused than when I began my research!
I'm also from UK and would be moving to NC as a single woman.

Old 03-01-2016, 08:10 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,315,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keys20 View Post
Hi MissAn
Having read your original post I was intrigued as to what your thoughts are now. I am also in the exact position you are, having been offered the same visa by the same company (I gather!).
I came on this site to rid myself of my anxieties but it's only served to heighten them! It's such a huge move and teaching is never easy, but I guess I was thinking of all the fun I would have in NC and the surrounding states to counteract the challenges. Now I'm even more confused than when I began my research!
I'm also from UK and would be moving to NC as a single woman.
IMO do not have anxieties over moving to NC for a three year temporary assignment. Most comments made were related to mid career and long term concerns with pay and time off. These do not apply in your situation

NC is a nice state and a good place to live

Old 03-02-2016, 05:42 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,336,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
IMO do not have anxieties over moving to NC for a three year temporary assignment. Most comments made were related to mid career and long term concerns with pay and time off. These do not apply in your situation

NC is a nice state and a good place to live

Yes, this! Come on over! It will be fun. You'll work hard, but if you view it as a study abroad/foreign exchange program it will be fine. I do think our teachers need more respect and better pay, but for a short term experience I think you'll do fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina