Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2016, 08:08 AM

31,672 posts, read 40,915,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
Hi. We're currently in Boston. It’s been great but we’re done here and recently started talking about our next move. We’re a multiracial family, well educated, Jewish (not religious but culturally Jewish), socially liberal but fiscally conservative.

I looked into some areas of the country that were not only diverse but well integrated. Charlotte and the Durham area popped up a couple times. Not at the top of the list but far enough away from the bottom. Other things we want is an ok climate, ok economy, and an area that has a good school or programs for kids with learning disabilities.

Note that it’s not just open mindedness that we are after, it’s the real presence of a diverse and integrated community.

Should I be looking at Charlotte, Durham, or any other area in NC?

Thanks.
Being from north of here and interracialy married there are good areas and not so good areas. You need a good buyers agent to help guide you. We had one who had been married interracialy and had that husband pass. She was awesome. The Triangle is a good choice but as with all things location, location. As you know diverse and integrated aren't the same thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2016, 12:07 PM

1,502 posts, read 4,070,184 times
Quote:
Hi. We're currently in Boston. It’s been great but we’re done here and recently started talking about our next move. We’re a multiracial family, well educated, Jewish (not religious but culturally Jewish), socially liberal but fiscally conservative.

I looked into some areas of the country that were not only diverse but well integrated. Charlotte and the Durham area popped up a couple times. Not at the top of the list but far enough away from the bottom. Other things we want is an ok climate, ok economy, and an area that has a good school or programs for kids with learning disabilities.

Note that it’s not just open mindedness that we are after, it’s the real presence of a diverse and integrated community.

Should I be looking at Charlotte, Durham, or any other area in NC?

Thanks.
......diversity meaning a wide variety of restaurants and big box stores?

There are highly diverse areas in terms of race in Charlotte and Durham but I have yet seen a parent who moved here try to send their own children to an inner city integrated school, usually the complete opposite, and usually claiming they want "diversity" but where they live and socialize is also the opposite.

Old 03-14-2016, 07:45 AM

6,445 posts, read 7,733,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina_native View Post
There are highly diverse areas in terms of race in Charlotte and Durham but I have yet seen a parent who moved here try to send their own children to an inner city integrated school, usually the complete opposite, and usually claiming they want "diversity" but where they live and socialize is also the opposite.
That’s because for most, safety in a school that is a little less diverse trumps more diversity; good facilities that support learning in a school that is a little less diverse trumps more diversity; and just in general, a much better school (and all the things that make it better) in a school that is a little less diverse trumps more diversity. And I dare say that many inner city schools that have more diversity don’t do a good job with integration. Whereas other schools that have less diversity but more resources and a curriculum with a more holistic focus give more attention to integration. So a school that has a 50% AA population that is mainly segregated isn’t as good as a school with a 25% AA population that is integrated. Bottom line I guess is what people want are great schools with diversity. Unfortunately, most great schools aren’t very diverse and that gets to economics. I don’t want to get into it further than that but that’s all just to say that it’s not like people don’t really want diversity, it’s just that other things trump diversity.

I understand the comment but there are many nuanced issues and a balance that needs to be achieved. Thinking that they are just saying they want diversity and not really meaning it is too simple. I do however think that most Caucasians don’t really understand what diversity means and if they get it, won’t be as pleased as they think they would. In theory they want it and it feels nice to say, in practice however it becomes not what they thought it was going to be.

For us, it’s much more a matter of something we not only want but a must have. But again, it must be balanced with other important things. I think we’re more willing to give up some things that are important to get more diversity but there is definitely a tipping point. In terms of where we live and socialize, it’s similar – a must have, with a tipping point.

Old 03-14-2016, 09:44 AM

6,445 posts, read 7,733,751 times
Quote:
So a school that has a 50% AA population that is mainly segregated isn’t as good as a school with a 25% AA population that is integrated.
And just to clarify, before the touchy folks 'round here misinterpret:

When I use the word "segregation" in my sentence that I quoted, I mean self segregation - where the student body self segregates themselves, not the administration.

Administration has the power to develop and implement policies and programs that focus on integration. Some do a better job than others.

Old 03-16-2016, 04:23 PM

6,610 posts, read 8,981,904 times
Quote:
And just to clarify, before the touchy folks 'round here misinterpret:

When I use the word "segregation" in my sentence that I quoted, I mean self segregation - where the student body self segregates themselves, not the administration.

Administration has the power to develop and implement policies and programs that focus on integration. Some do a better job than others.

In my experience with NC schools the races mingle quite well and people normally associate with other races very easily. But like races often gravitate toward one another naturally, just like ethnic groups have for a century in Boston. Does it bother you that Irish immigrants and Irish-Americans have self-segregated in South Boston? No matter what kinds of programs a school has, some de facto segregation will always exist...it's just human nature.

I'm not sure who you're accusing of being touchy, but you're the one who sounds completely over the top/obsessed with race. It's funny that you're so worried about it here when we don't really have nearly the racial divide that I've seen and experience in your city. I think it has been stated a few times in this thread that social diversity is the norm in NC and most of the South...I would hope you choose to believe it since you asked the question, but you seem to doubt what people are telling you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina