Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2016, 06:25 PM

19 posts, read 17,803 times

Advertisements

My family member received a ticket for going 20 over the speed limit (60 mph in a 45)

They were told to appear in court but I feel like their situation is unique. They got their ID Card confirming they reside in NC, but their License is still from NJ.

What options do they have? Should they just show up to court, plead guilty and pay the fine? Or will something else happen since the license isn't from NC?

Would it be necessary to try hiring a traffic ticket attorney?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2016, 07:32 PM

398 posts, read 497,943 times
First, 60 - 45 = 15, not 20. Second, I don't think they were "told to appear in court". I think they were told they could either appear in court, or plead guilty by paying it in advance. A quick look at the ticket itself would confirm that. Third, unless this person wants his/her insurance to increase dramatically, he/she should engage an attorney in the county where the ticket was issued. I assume the attorney will recommend, other things, he/she obtain an NC drivers license prior to the court date.

Old 03-13-2016, 06:12 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
Nothing sounds unique, a speeding ticket is a speeding ticket. New Jersey licence people gotta face same consequence of speeding as North Carolinians.

20 over is definitely an attorney is needed.
Whatever address the cop put a top of the ticket, expect lawyer sharks to send solicitation at that address.
Gives options of an attorney.

Old 03-14-2016, 11:34 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,379,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJnNC View Post
My family member received a ticket for going 20 over the speed limit (60 mph in a 45)

They were told to appear in court but I feel like their situation is unique. They got their ID Card confirming they reside in NC, but their License is still from NJ.

What options do they have? Should they just show up to court, plead guilty and pay the fine? Or will something else happen since the license isn't from NC?

Would it be necessary to try hiring a traffic ticket attorney?
I got the same ticket in NC I had a NJ license but was moving to NC.

Just wait for the "speeding ticket lawyers" to contact you and let them handle it. For me it was $200 and the ticket was changed to defective equipment (malfunctioning speedometer)

No fuss , no muss, no points.

Paid by credit card. The attorney took care of everything.

I did take a couple of months after contacting the attorney and getting a letter explaining the outcome.

Old 04-22-2016, 07:08 PM

19 posts, read 17,803 times
Update: They ended up hiring a lawyer. Everything worked out.

Old 04-23-2016, 10:45 AM

2,818 posts, read 1,550,625 times
Astonishing: Do people in NC really get a speeding ticket for going 60 in a 45MPH speed zone? Speed zones do not, practically speaking, determine the upper limit of speed. For example, on a multi-lane highway with a speed limit of 55, in the left lane most people are going 65-70. If you tried to go the speed limit of 55 in that lane, you'd actually risk causing an accident. Rule of thumb, for safety concerns, is to stay at the speed most others are driving. Spirt of the law, not letter of the law.

Old 04-24-2016, 07:19 AM

150 posts, read 227,266 times
Yes 15 over is what most tickets are issued for. If you don't want a ticket stay under it, otherwise understand the risks.

That's great that you don't think 15 over is speeding but the SHP sure does.

Old 04-24-2016, 07:45 AM

7,189 posts, read 6,811,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrganicSmallHome View Post
For example, on a multi-lane highway with a speed limit of 55, in the left lane most people are going 65-70. If you tried to go the speed limit of 55 in that lane, you'd actually risk causing an accident.
I cringe every time I see the 60mph speed limit sign on I-440. If I had done 60mph whenever I passed through there, I probably would've gotten plowed, and I'm not even talking about the left lane. I kept it between 70-75mph and damn near everybody else was flying by me like I was parked. Average speed had to have been 75-90mph.

Old 04-25-2016, 05:45 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,813,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJnNC View Post
Update: They ended up hiring a lawyer. Everything worked out.
I hope they have followed the law and changed their license to NC, at least.

Old 04-25-2016, 05:48 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,813,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrganicSmallHome View Post
Astonishing: Do people in NC really get a speeding ticket for going 60 in a 45MPH speed zone? Speed zones do not, practically speaking, determine the upper limit of speed. For example, on a multi-lane highway with a speed limit of 55, in the left lane most people are going 65-70. If you tried to go the speed limit of 55 in that lane, you'd actually risk causing an accident. Rule of thumb, for safety concerns, is to stay at the speed most others are driving. Spirt of the law, not letter of the law.
"15 over" means different things at different speeds. Obviously going 25 when the limit is 10 (for a reason) would get you a deserved ticket. Going 85 in a 70 zone on a straight higway with no traffic is a no-brainer.

But 45 MPH zones are usually in well-populated areas. Going 60 in such a place would be dangerous in almost every 45 MPH zone I'm aware of, because usually someone is pulling out into the road from a residence or leaving a business. Yes, you would likely get a ticket for that, and you certainly should.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina