Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2016, 09:07 AM

2,424 posts, read 3,534,727 times

Advertisements

That's 5% of the people who showed up to vote.

It seems that in NC, voter ID means you have to have an NC based photo ID in order to prove who you are. That means NC is really not interested in who you are, but keeping you from voting. In November you must vote in your district and no more same day registration regardless of what kind of ID you have.

Out of state students are hurt by having to have an NC ID, because they must have an NC issued picture ID after they are in the state for 90 days.

“Rosanell Eaton, a 94-year-old voter, had to recite the Preamble to Constitution to vote in North Carolina in the 1940s. Last year, she had to make 11 trips to state agencies to comply with the voter ID law."

Shame on you NC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2016, 09:49 AM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlhm5 View Post
That's 5% of the people who showed up to vote.

It seems that in NC, voter ID means you have to have an NC based photo ID in order to prove who you are. That means NC is really not interested in who you are, but keeping you from voting. In November you must vote in your district and no more same day registration regardless of what kind of ID you have.

Out of state students are hurt by having to have an NC ID, because they must have an NC issued picture ID after they are in the state for 90 days.

“Rosanell Eaton, a 94-year-old voter, had to recite the Preamble to Constitution to vote in North Carolina in the 1940s. Last year, she had to make 11 trips to state agencies to comply with the voter ID law."

Shame on you NC.
I saw someone being turned away because the individual didn't have an ID that matched the list.

Old 03-16-2016, 11:46 AM

4,761 posts, read 7,830,787 times
Why would NC allow someone to vote when they still carry an ID from another state?

Old 03-16-2016, 12:05 PM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spankys bbq View Post
Why would NC allow someone to vote when they still carry an ID from another state?

The man who I saw being turned away was wearing a uniform from a local company & with a photo ID from his job around his neck. I heard part of the exchange. Apparently, he had ridden to the poll with a coworker & didn't think to go to his locker to get his wallet. He verbally gave his address. His picture on the ID matched his face. Common sense would say that he was himself.

The funny part was that this man was not the intended demographic. I heard him tell the poll workers that he just wanted to vote for Trump. Apparently, he understood the intended demographic of the law & didn't think that it would be a problem for a Republican.

Old 03-16-2016, 12:08 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
I'm not sure about the turn away vs those given provisional ballot, but it has been in the news for a couple of years and if those that do not have ID had plenty of time to fill out absentee ballot.
Sort of related, due to the Primary moved to mid March vs May, it occurs during College Spring Break.

Old 03-16-2016, 01:25 PM

9,775 posts, read 15,776,851 times
I used a US passport for my ID.

Old 03-16-2016, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankys bbq View Post
Depends on whether they want to know who you are or just in the business of preventing you from voting. I can easily see proof of residence and registration, but not accepting a valid ID from another state is aimed at preventing students from voting. NC will accept a US Passport or a military ID but not a driver's license from another state if you have been a resident for more than 90 days.

Old 03-16-2016, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
I used a US passport for my ID.
Passports cost $135 and no one who does not need one for business or pleasure travel is not going to pay for one for ID to vote in NC.

Old 03-16-2016, 02:06 PM

72 posts, read 89,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlhm5 View Post
If they are out-of-state students shouldn't they be voting out-of-state? I went to college in a state that I was never a resident of. I never got to pay in-state tuition. And I always voted in the state where my drivers license was issued.

Old 03-16-2016, 02:17 PM

1,266 posts, read 2,627,720 times
We had more like 2.2 million voters - that would be 10% if the 218k turned away is accurate.

I've always been shocked that one didn't previously need an ID to vote. NC has been offering free IDs for months (or longer?), correct?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina