Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2016, 03:28 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,772,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
Alright; while I generally agree that this was a ass-backwards action by our shameful fear-mongering far-right GA and governor; this comment is on-par with their level of ignorance.

Charlotte and Raleigh are not "northern cities"; and the implication that their being "northern cities" is what makes them "more reasonable and forward thinking" is just as ridiculous as assuming that a city's non-discrimination law opens up women and children to predators and should be thus be shot down by an emergency assembly by state gov't.

Let's not forget that your "progressive" northern home-state produced Rick Santorum

Absolutely true. Just showing that ignorance extends in many directions. Most of the Democrats who voted against this bill are native North Carolinians, while many of the champions of it (Phil Berger and our illustrious gov) were born elsewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2016, 03:31 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,414,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rancenc View Post
The only thing that this knuckle headed do nothing legislature will react to is when businesses start walking the walk instead of just talking the talk on inclusivity and diversity....for example if PayPal which just announced a expansion in Charlotte of their East Coast operations, decides to go to their #2 choice or companies move their operations out of the state, then this issue will forgotten by summer of this year.....
That's right. Money is the only ting that matters.

Old 03-24-2016, 03:34 PM

4,218 posts, read 8,502,969 times
This whole thing could backfire on NC like it did in Indiana. Here's another article (from the Winston-Salem Journal) on major businesses in NC criticizing the legislation... Major corporations condemning NC law banning anti-discrimination measures. Possibility of losing NCAA basketball tournaments? Never say never...

Old 03-24-2016, 03:34 PM

545 posts, read 591,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post

Absolutely true. Just showing that ignorance extends in many directions. Most of the Democrats who voted against this bill are native North Carolinians, while many of the champions of it (Phil Berger and our illustrious gov) were born elsewhere.
You are absolutely correct....a lot of these legislators on the far right are not even natives to this state....even our Governor was born in Ohio and moved to NC with his family when he was like 9 or 10

Old 03-24-2016, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by netbrad View Post
I must have missed that part of the Bill of Rights. For the sake of argument let's say you are correct. The person should relieve themselves in the location that matches the plumbing they were born with.

If some random guy goes into a women's restroom and starts creeping he can be punished. The Charlotte ordinance made those activities implicitly acceptable. Any guy could claim they "identify as female" and hang out in the women's bathroom all day. Is that okay with you?

Also, in what universe are the following thoughts or policies discriminatory:

-NC citizens born with male body parts should use the men's restroom.

-NC citizens born with female body parts should use the women's restroom.
OK, we'll play your game.

THIS GUY was born with female parts.Would you like to see him next to your daughter in the bathroom? After all, he was born with female parts. Might even still have them (it's not my business, nor is it yours). But thanks to the new law, he will be in the bathroom with women and girls unless he wants to be arrested.

And let's take a quiz, since you believe in the Bathroom Police:

You've been appointed the Bathroom Police. How do you handle these people?

netbrad sure spends a lot of time thinking about other people's genitals, eh?

Last edited by Francois; 03-24-2016 at 04:40 PM..

Old 03-24-2016, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post

The thing is, the city of Charlotte did not think this through. Simply opening up all bathrooms AND locker rooms as all genders welcomed is a very irresponsible decision to make. Coming up with some sort of solution that would make all sides of this comfortable is what should have happened. I mean, as the ordinance was worded, there would have been no legal protection against any guy walking into the women's locker room to watch women undress.
They are NOT open to "all genders welcome". Transgender people have a gender and that's the bathroom they use. They don't just say "Hmm, it's Thursday, I think I'll go to the Ladies' today". Most of them came to their gender identity through lifelong soul-searching, gradually transitioning via clothing, haircut, maybe using another name, and eventually counseling and hormones. Legal gender change and name change. Maybe or maybe not "below-the-belt" surgery--why is that part my or your business to know or ask?

They have a gender and that's the bathroom they use. To think that a burly male claiming to be female just to stand near a girl in a bathroom stall would pass any kind of legal muster if he said "But I'm a woman!" is so ridiculous, I can't believe actual adults are voicing it, let alone passing legislation based on it. Never mind legislation that goes far beyond this small part of the entire bill, which is much scarier and allows the state to forbid a city or town to raise their minimum wage or offer equality protections to any but very specific demographic classes.

Old 03-24-2016, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_guy View Post
LOL I too am glad to see external agitators acting like they matter and should influence decisions of the democratically elected legislatures
You mean like the "external" state legislators influenced the internal decisions of democratically elected Charlotte city government?

Old 03-24-2016, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
If yall feel the action yesterday was a step backwards, please explain how is anything going to be changed on April 1st then the way it was last week?
I don't see any change except clarity on existing laws.
I can't believe you, as a gay man, are defending this, Sunny. You ARE aware that it goes WAY beyond the "bathroom" issue? Charlotte also had LGBT rights in employment, housing, etc, as did many other cities in NC.

All of those ordinances are now VOID--even the cities who've had them for decades, like Carrboro. The legislators wanted everybody to concentrate on the "bathroom" portion, and they could have just addressed that part, but refused to allow an amendment that would have kept the GLBT rights portions that are ALREADY IN EFFECT in plenty of places in NC. Now, all such protections are gone, statewide. And, no municipality can create another one.

I can't believe you are defending this.

Old 03-24-2016, 03:55 PM

2,843 posts, read 2,963,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
You mean like the "external" state legislators influenced the internal decisions of democratically elected Charlotte city government?
Was expecting this comment

Local government are charters of the state this stuff is completely legal and well understood.

People from all over the state go to Charlotte it would be silly and foolish to expect to allow hodgepodge laws on this

Segregate on sex here
Gender identity there

Besides I'm sure charlottes state and house reps had their say

Old 03-24-2016, 03:57 PM

2,843 posts, read 2,963,185 times
Anyway technically they just clarified state law to standardize on bio sex segregation they didn't overrule or overturn Charlotte ordinance

But of course the ordinance is now moot

It's like getting mad state law trumps local in a conflict, to suggest otherwise is ridiculous
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina