U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2016, 04:00 PM

10,401 posts, read 19,431,310 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
I'll give you 3:1 odds that he is re-elected.
He has a proven constituency on issues like this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_...na_Amendment_1
But that was in a low-turnout primary. It was also 4 years ago, and progressiveness in social issues literally rises each and every year in any poll you check. This is a Presidential November election, and one with lots of interest in candidates on both sides. And, McCrory won mostly because Perdue had been such a weak governor, she didn't even run again (she of course best him the first time). Lt Gov Forest, a ringleader in this bill, actually won his election by only a HAIR--under 7000 votes statewide. Linda Coleman is running against him again and I hope the increased interest in this election will bring high Democratic turnout to strengthen her and Cooper's races.

McCrory won last time by running as a moderate and an outsider. He has shown himself completely incompetent in staffing top positions in the government, doesn't control the legislature, and has his share of gaffs. He's an infectious speaker, I'll give him that, but people see the wolf in sheep's clothing by now after 4 years of Extremism that he actively or passively supported.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2016, 04:06 PM

1,012 posts, read 1,185,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
Did you stand with those smokers who were discriminated against when the smoking ordinance was passed? Did you picket? Did you strike?

The thing is, the city of Charlotte did not think this through. Simply opening up all bathrooms AND locker rooms as all genders welcomed is a very irresponsible decision to make. Coming up with some sort of solution that would make all sides of this comfortable is what should have happened. I mean, as the ordinance was worded, there would have been no legal protection against any guy walking into the women's locker room to watch women undress.
Omg this wasn't only about the bathroom. Do people actually read these days. Take a Bill you don't understand and say " Omg the men and Women " can go into the bathroom as they please. The government here makes me sick to my stomach.

Old 03-24-2016, 04:08 PM

1,012 posts, read 1,185,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue at the Rock View Post
I know. The taxpayers will foot the defense.

I've been watching my back in public restrooms for decades. The trans people don't worry me at all. The pervs do. Two entirely different things.
Exactly had to rep you for this.

Old 03-24-2016, 04:17 PM
Status: "North of Palm Trees, South of High Taxes" (set 11 days ago)

5,608 posts, read 6,698,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
But that was in a low-turnout primary. It was also 4 years ago, and progressiveness in social issues literally rises each and every year in any poll you check. This is a Presidential November election, and one with lots of interest in candidates on both sides. And, McCrory won mostly because Perdue had been such a weak governor, she didn't even run again (she of course best him the first time). Lt Gov Forest, a ringleader in this bill, actually won his election by only a HAIR--under 7000 votes statewide. Linda Coleman is running against him again and I hope the increased interest in this election will bring high Democratic turnout to strengthen her and Cooper's races.

McCrory won last time by running as a moderate and an outsider. He has shown himself completely incompetent in staffing top positions in the government, doesn't control the legislature, and has his share of gaffs. He's an infectious speaker, I'll give him that, but people see the wolf in sheep's clothing by now after 4 years of Extremism that he actively or passively supported.
The one time I vote for what I thought was a moderate Republican ...McCrory and he turns into a right-wing mouthpiece puppet for Art Pope and "The Hills have Eyes" crowd. Never again will I make that mistake! Maybe after November, good ol' Pat and Beverly Purdue can do a spot on "Dancing with the Stars" under the "washed-up politicians" category.

Old 03-24-2016, 04:39 PM

33,648 posts, read 58,387,489 times
Quote:

OK, Francois. Point taken. You get just 2:1 odds.

Look at the Gov's FB Page, where regarding his statement on this issue he has over 11000 likes, 1800+ angries, and 800 Loves. Another small sample. Roy's response was nice, but not too fiery. (I just would liked to have seen him go all Cruz on Trump and call Big M "a sniveling coward."

The whole thing reminds me of when Cary padded teachers' paychecks, and the GA reined them in because it was not an authority the state had given them.
We run with a strong state government and those guys will keep the municipalities in check.

Old 03-24-2016, 04:43 PM

10,401 posts, read 19,431,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_guy View Post
It's like getting mad state law trumps local in a conflict, to suggest otherwise is ridiculous
You could say the same thing about "Federal law trumps state in a conflict", and that sends your fellow Right-wingers into orbit. What's the difference?

Old 03-24-2016, 05:22 PM

2,310 posts, read 1,799,487 times
Quote:
You could say the same thing about "Federal law trumps state in a conflict", and that sends your fellow Right-wingers into orbit. What's the difference?
It sure would but guess what there is no federal law segregating bathrooms on gender identity. I'm not sure there would be constitutional authority to do such at the federal level but maybe

Anyway I don't know why you assume I'm a "right winger". Voted Obama and am registered Dem. Maybe you should be a little less disparaging to people who hold different opinions than you.

Old 03-24-2016, 06:43 PM

816 posts, read 970,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I am one of those smokers. I didn't object. I've been in smoke - filled rooms & don't like it either. Guns & smoking are choices. Try again.
So is deciding to be a woman when you are a man and vice versa.

Old 03-24-2016, 06:57 PM

9,434 posts, read 18,343,140 times
Like it or not, North Carolina better get ready for some corporate backlash. We've already seen this happen in Indiana and Arizona. This won't sit well for a lot of companies. There will be calls to boycott the state, and it will galvanize a lot of opposition.

Last edited by Desert_SW_77; 03-24-2016 at 07:18 PM..

Old 03-24-2016, 07:02 PM

2,310 posts, read 1,799,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_SW_77 View Post
Like it or not, North Carolina better get ready for some corporate backlash. We've already seen this happen in Indiana and Arizona.
hmm is the corporate big gay lobby about to flex its muscle?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or