Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2016, 08:02 AM

43,216 posts, read 76,929,670 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austincool View Post
Whether the LGBT community is protected doesn't change the fact the bill is completely unconstitutional. The case will move to the Supreme Court and the ACLU (or whoever gets there before them) will win for that very reason just as marriage equality did last year.
It was smart of the GA to include minimum wage, too, since that measure by Charlotte is even more indefensible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2016, 08:41 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,434,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austincool View Post
Whether the LGBT community is protected doesn't change the fact the bill is completely unconstitutional. The case will move to the Supreme Court and the ACLU (or whoever gets there before them) will win for that very reason just as marriage equality did last year.
It is not unconstitutional, LGB is not a protected class in the US constitution and we never had protection on the state level.

Cities like Durham, Carrboro, Greensboro offered protection then Charlotte tries to do the same but forced business to allow anyone use a bathroom on how they feel.
It's an overreach and lacks common decency and privacy.
Also, cities can't make their own minimum wage as that is controlled by NC Dept of Labor.
Also in the state constitution.

If you want to change, then change who represents; 11 NC Senate Democrats see the same as me.
Also, I can't remember any firings of gays that made the news since 1991 in Charlotte Cracker Barrel.
It might because I remember as CB was my first job for six years at various cities including Charlotte.

There is a process in this state, that I respect because it provides uniformity, especially in a state with rural areas next to a metro. A business that operates in both locations in this state should have a uniform procedure for wages, civil rights, and building codes.

Until sexual orientation is amended into US Civil Rights Act and ACLU can demonstrate how cities can overstep their charters by passing these municpal ordinance it going to be a slow-moving battle.

Old 03-28-2016, 09:01 AM

5,922 posts, read 6,447,765 times
There has been so much propaganda that has been spewed out in the media and Facebook concerning this bill, that not only is it ridiculous, it's concerning that people don't actually read the bill and use critical thinking and commonsense before believing everything they hear in the media.

First of all, in regards to the minimum wage, only the state has the right to manipulate the minimum wage. It has been that way ever since I breathed my first breath on this earth. And I believe, at least three quarters of the states in our union, follow suit with that.

Secondly, private individuals, businesses, and universities still have the right to set their own anti-discrimination policies as they see fit. So, if those private companies, private individuals, or private universities wish to have unisex bathrooms, they still can. It is up to the business owner, just like it should be. Had the ordinance been passed, business owners would have forfeited their rights, and been forced to adhere to an ordinance. Now you might think, "Well, good. They shouldn't be given the right to discriminate." Well, you're flat out missing the point. The point is, the business owners would have been forced into major renovations to ensure their bathrooms are up to privacy codes, should they be forced to offer unisex bathrooms. And who do you think pays for all of this reno? Let me tell you, this would be passed on to you, the tax payer. So if you thought it was bad enough for those having to work for minimum wage salaries, just wait until they have to help foot the bill for renovations that the city is forcing upon their local businesses.

There is not one person I know of that enjoys relieving themselves in a bathroom that isn't particularly private. Let's face it, if you don't care and you let it fly no matter who's in there, congratulations. But not everyone thinks like you, nor should they have to. Most of us enjoy enough privacy where they feel they can do their business without being on public display. And let me tell you, I've been to public bathrooms where there are no doors on the stalls, or pull curtains. Had the ordinance passed, there would have been a major need for renovation of all public bathrooms to ensure privacy and dignity. By the way, have you been to football stadium rest rooms? It's mostly all open. Think about how much money would have to be used to completely renovate those.

And as far as the unisex bathrooms and showering faculties at universities, quite a number of them put policies in place to protect privacy. It's not a free for all, men and women together hosing down each other's backs. Most adopt the "E" system. E for everyone, M for just men, W for just women, and 3 when you just want privacy for yourself.

All in all, I can care less about unisex, multi-use rest rooms so as long as stall privacy is optimal. I'm talking about insulated walls from the ceiling down, doors from the ceiling down to the floor. No peek-a-boo cracks between the doors, and secure locks on the door. A common area to wash hands and primp means nothing to me. But I'm not too keen on using a bathroom with the existing minimal privacy in place. It would need upgrading.

Old 03-28-2016, 10:00 AM

1,509 posts, read 2,424,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
It is not unconstitutional, LGB is not a protected class in the US constitution and we never had protection on the state level.
This may be a bit off topic, Sunny, but I notice in your posts you never make mention of LGBT (or Q or I for that matter) - any particular reason for this?

Old 03-28-2016, 11:03 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,434,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garnetpalmetto View Post
This may be a bit off topic, Sunny, but I notice in your posts you never make mention of LGBT (or Q or I for that matter) - any particular reason for this?
Yes, IMO and others in the nation feel the same tabout 'Drop the T', (transsexuals) is fighting for different rights than LGB.
LGB is sexual orientation, T is for identity.

Even though I feel sometimes of legislation would occur probably when NC legislatures would have normally convened, in fact, I knew there would be a push back after A1 was defeated but this bathroom ordinance was out of bounds especially forcing commercial business to comply.
IMO the trans movement is responsible for leading us to step backwards for the LGB, was trying to take baby steps for inclusion.

NC is filled with companies that reach across different cities, likely nothing will change as inclusion in that company policy already exist. Hopefully buisness will create new single user restrooms, heck that seems all their was when I was little.

Transgender can use opposite gender of birth after surgery, but I dont agree with the bathroom of choice.
They should had asked Charlotte to give grants to small buisness , Carowinds, YMCA etc...for a family restroom.

The public is sort of more accepting of gays and lesbians, but explanation of why a dude is a chick to a 5 to 10 ear old hanging out in the restroom is to much.
Lets say Im with my nephew and dude comes out of womens and he ask me if he can use that restroom. I say no you can only go in mens and he says why he did it.

What about the privacy in changing areas at Carowinds or YMCA that are connected to restroom.

My partner feels the same and we both from small towns and masculine so discrimnation has never been issue and I stand with the state when it just clarified with HB2 what was already in the state condstitution.

Civil Right protections for race, color, something else and added biological sex. IMO if a gay or lesbian was fired they could used that.

Old 03-28-2016, 11:09 AM

6,350 posts, read 11,560,331 times
Quote:
Nothing is preventing you from using a handicap bathroom.
This is not about a handicap bathroom, but a lockable, one toilet bathroom with a sign outside indicating a different gender. In a multi stall situation there isn't the issue of a locked door.

I live < 60 miles from NC and visit frequently. Have already written to dept of tourism. Thanks for taking the time to provide the governors' link though it was apparently overwhelmed this morning.

Old 03-28-2016, 11:11 AM

1,509 posts, read 2,424,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Yes, IMO and others in the nation feel the same tabout 'Drop the T', (transsexuals) is fighting for different rights than LGB.
LGB is sexual orientation, T is for identity.

Even though I feel sometimes of legislation would occur probably when NC legislatures would have normally convened, in fact, I knew there would be a push back after A1 was defeated but this bathroom ordinance was out of bounds especially forcing commercial business to comply.
IMO the trans movement is responsible for leading us to step backwards for the LGB, was trying to take baby steps for inclusion.

NC is filled with companies that reach across different cities, likely nothing will change as inclusion in that company policy already exist. Hopefully buisness will create new single user restrooms, heck that seems all their was when I was little.

Transgender can use opposite gender of birth after surgery, but I dont agree with the bathroom of choice.
They should had asked Charlotte to give grants to small buisness , Carowinds, YMCA etc...for a family restroom.

The public is sort of more accepting of gays and lesbians, but explanation of why a dude is a chick to a 5 to 10 ear old hanging out in the restroom is to much.
Lets say Im with my nephew and dude comes out of womens and he ask me if he can use that restroom. I say no you can only go in mens and he says why he did it.

What about the privacy in changing areas at Carowinds or YMCA that are connected to restroom.

My partner feels the same and we both from small towns and masculine so discrimnation has never been issue and I stand with the state when it just clarified with HB2 what was already in the state condstitution.

Civil Right protections for race, color, something else and added biological sex. IMO if a gay or lesbian was fired they could used that.
I may be misunderstanding you here but you understand that in order to get surgery - any surgery - a transperson has to live for at least a year as the gender they identify as? A good friend of mine who transitioned last year has been going through therapies for at least 2-3 years ranging from hormone replacement treatments with her endocrinologist, voice therapy, laser hair removal, psychological counseling, etc. She had to present as a woman for a year - including using the ladies room - before her psychologist would sign off on gender reassignment surgery for her. If anything this makes it more difficult for trans men and trans women to complete their transitions. Even before she had surgery though, she looked female. Likewise two other friends of mine who are transitioning (one male to female and one female to male) LOOK like the genders they present as. I doubt your nephew would identify either of my trans woman friends as "dudes" when they come out of the restroom.

Old 03-28-2016, 11:23 AM

24 posts, read 47,388 times
It kills me how many idiots we have in NC who think this was all about a bathroom item. Guess what, in some countries overseas there are not men and women's restrooms. Everyone uses the same one. I guess you don't get out and travel much? Probably too busy watching The 700 club to travel? I love how the republicans are calling for Charlotte to pick up the $42k tab. Will these GOP idiots in Raleigh be paying the money lost in Charlotte if PayPal potentially says good bye? If the NBA all-star game gets nixed from Charlotte? I am registered as an independent. Guess I need to change that to Republican to vote every single one of these out ASAP.

Old 03-28-2016, 11:57 AM

6,350 posts, read 11,560,331 times
Since I couldn't get through via internet I went to the print shop to send the governor a fax.

The proprieter agreed with me and he is a staunch republican. Surprised me to find out he was also a free thinker when it comes to one seat bathrooms. But hey, middle age.

I realize the bathroom issue is minor but see it as an example of unintended consequences. Interesting to sit back and see NC position itself as the primary battleground in these unnecessary culture wars.

Old 03-28-2016, 02:13 PM

794 posts, read 1,323,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
If they want to discriminate against normal families, who cares. They're just letters anyway. Nobody uses words anymore. My grandchildren are more important than any abnormal people. I don't want them in restrooms with perverts. You would think Charlotte's crime rate is bad enough already without giving new opportunities to criminals.
"normal" - "abnormal" - "perverts"

You are pure ignorance and hate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina