U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2016, 05:38 PM

21,963 posts, read 27,247,096 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
I think there's a very good chance the Governor will be a one-term wonder who'll be replaced by the current AG. The Lt Governor might make a nice pool boy for Art Pope. Eventually, the changing demographics of NC will bring an end to much of the political detritus that now exists.
I'm hoping that the court agrees to redraw the districts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2016, 05:53 PM

22,974 posts, read 58,581,142 times
For the most part, nothing really going to change except the add-ons . A lot was already in our state constitution and the Charlotte city council was advise on it.

In NC, it already stated local municipalities cannot make laws that conflict with state laws.

For example, way back before smoking bans went into effect, Charlotte or any city could not ban smoking until the state ok it.

The same applies to the minimum wage, it conflicts with state law and it should be up to individual business how much over minimum it goes.

Old 03-23-2016, 07:02 PM

3,774 posts, read 7,007,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LM117 View Post
It cleared the House with a 84-24 vote. It now heads to the Senate.

NC House bars LGBT protections against discrimination :: WRAL.com
Tyranny of the (small) majority.

They have one small problem though... The minority in this state - the large cities and their metro regions - hold about 4 MM people and create the vast majority of the state's wealth. NC Legislature, be careful what you wish for.

Small town thinking is what killed the small towns where all those "republicans" hail from.

Old 03-23-2016, 08:25 PM

789 posts, read 1,075,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trump2016 View Post
You're so right let's let the safety of vulnerable boys and girls be sacrificed in the name of 'equality'. Pathetic.
Sorry, but this is the weakest argument I've heard from people in support of this law. Do you honestly think child predators care anything about what the law says or the sign on the restroom?

This law is nothing but ignorance and discrimination.

Old 03-23-2016, 09:00 PM

816 posts, read 969,762 times
Aw man. I was going to apply to the local high school as a female transgender gym teacher so I can hang out in the girls locker room all day. My plans have been foiled!

Old 03-23-2016, 09:34 PM
Status: "North of Palm Trees, South of High Taxes" (set 4 days ago)

5,589 posts, read 6,689,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
For the most part, nothing really going to change except the add-ons . A lot was already in our state constitution and the Charlotte city council was advise on it.

In NC, it already stated local municipalities cannot make laws that conflict with state laws.

For example, way back before smoking bans went into effect, Charlotte or any city could not ban smoking until the state ok it.

The same applies to the minimum wage, it conflicts with state law and it should be up to individual business how much over minimum it goes.
Maybe it's time to change the NC constitution and give power back to local governments and reduce the heavy-handed tactics of the General Assembly. Wasn't one of the goals of the current majority less government? They seem to operate like the old Soviet Politburo when it comes to issues they don't agree with. Maybe if a few businesses like PayPal, decide to go elsewhere, to a more forward-thinking state because of this ruling, they'll get the message, but given the low IQ crowd in the GA, I doubt it!

Perhaps it's time for a new motto for NC "Going Forward so slowly - it appears we're going backwards".

Old 03-23-2016, 09:39 PM

3,114 posts, read 4,144,898 times
Elections matter. Once upon a time not long ago, North Carolina had a reputation as a relatively progressive state not far from the national culture. Oh, but the election of 2010 sure put a stop to that and now the state is rightly viewed as more aligned with cultural and political regression and backwater cultural proclivities. There have been embarrassing developments in NC over the last five or so years, but this one has unleashed a national outcry that probably outdoes the other ones. I am especially pleased to see the burgeoning backlash from big business and industry.

Most of all, I look forward to see the federal government, which also says Title VII includes LGBT protections smack down NC. The Feds should consider cutting the state off of federal funding because of its refusal to abide by federal regulations on Nondiscrimination. Bigotry is costly

Old 03-23-2016, 09:47 PM

11,810 posts, read 18,792,885 times
The irony that municipal "overreach" was used an an excuse for an "overreach" billl (and now signed law) that was sold to the people of NC to address "bathroom issues" is astounding. It's very sad to say but it's getting harder and harder to defend NC to my friends outside of it. While there may be pumped chests and self congratulatory fist bumps in the Republican led government, there's laughing at the state from the outside. How badly this sort of panic-overreaction created by the right will effect the state's economy is yet to be seen.
Now what? Is it now illegal to effectively be a trans person? I mean, they can't use either bathroom without being subject to arrest or being verbally/physically harassed. Seriously, what are they supposed to do if their current gender doesn't match their birth certificate? Pee in their pants? Where's the compassion in our society? Where's the real Christian love?

Old 03-23-2016, 10:37 PM
Status: "North of Palm Trees, South of High Taxes" (set 4 days ago)

5,589 posts, read 6,689,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
The irony that municipal "overreach" was used an an excuse for an "overreach" billl (and now signed law) that was sold to the people of NC to address "bathroom issues" is astounding. It's very sad to say but it's getting harder and harder to defend NC to my friends outside of it. While there may be pumped chests and self congratulatory fist bumps in the Republican led government, there's laughing at the state from the outside. How badly this sort of panic-overreaction created by the right will effect the state's economy is yet to be seen.
Now what? Is it now illegal to effectively be a trans person? I mean, they can't use either bathroom without being subject to arrest or being verbally/physically harassed. Seriously, what are they supposed to do if their current gender doesn't match their birth certificate? Pee in their pants? Where's the compassion in our society? Where's the real Christian love?
There's no Christian love involved ...it's right-wing Christian sharia law thinking. You'll know this state has gone down the tubes when Mississippi can say "Well, at least we're not North Carolina". I can see the GA decrying the lawsuits that will soon be filed by the ACLU and then blaming "President Blackenstein" and the "librul Supreme Court" as the cause of it all!

Old 03-23-2016, 11:55 PM

21,963 posts, read 27,247,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Thats the irony. The religious right doesn't respect any one or any view that conflicts with their view. They pound their chests & scream that their views aren't being respected when in reality they are not respectful of others or their views. Whether it's abortion or lgbt rights, they have no respect for others. This is not new. It's been their M.O. for decades.

People have a right to relieve themselves. This is disgusting. The religious right should be ashamed of themselves. Unfortunately, they think that they deserve a medal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or