U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 04-18-2016, 08:47 PM
 
Location: North of South, South of North
8,706 posts, read 8,794,680 times
Reputation: 5073

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtnluver8956 View Post
You seem oblivious to facts so I don't know if i should believe that Dem voted for the bill statement. And last time i checked, businesses and concerts have a right to take their business in areas that suit them better and isn't hostile towards minorities. Ever heard of hospitality tax? Yea, the loss of that will wake Raleigh up and make changes when they can't balance their budgets. Again, we the people voted these representatives into office, therefore we shall suffer equal fate. Next time everybody will be wiser and vote for progress.
You can look up who voted for or against it. It is public record.

Seems like a phony stance for a company or artist to be against NC, but for some countries that brutalize women, gays and certain religious people. I'm not sure I buy that.
__________________
My mod posts will be bolded in red.

The Rules ~ Infractions & Deletions ~ Who's the moderator? ~ FAQ ~ Personal Attacks ~ Trolling ~ Copyrighted Material
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-19-2016, 06:38 AM
 
Location: Greensboro, NC
5,748 posts, read 4,211,898 times
Reputation: 3811
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtnluver8956 View Post
You seem oblivious to facts so I don't know if i should believe that Dem voted for the bill statement. And last time i checked, businesses and concerts have a right to take their business in areas that suit them better and isn't hostile towards minorities. Ever heard of hospitality tax? Yea, the loss of that will wake Raleigh up and make changes when they can't balance their budgets. Again, we the people voted these representatives into office, therefore we shall suffer equal fate. Next time everybody will be wiser and vote for progress.
10 House Democrats voted for the bill, none in the Senate because they walked out, however there were Senate Democrats who had planned to also vote for the bill.

I find it hilarious how people equate progress to peeing in front of the opposite sex. To me that reflects a regression back to the caveman era.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-19-2016, 07:41 AM
 
Location: The place where the road & the sky collide
21,903 posts, read 27,184,852 times
Reputation: 8966
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
10 House Democrats voted for the bill, none in the Senate because they walked out, however there were Senate Democrats who had planned to also vote for the bill.

I find it hilarious how people equate progress to peeing in front of the opposite sex. To me that reflects a regression back to the caveman era.
No one would be peeing in front of the opposite sex. How many times do you have to be told that there are no urinals in women's bathrooms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-19-2016, 07:54 AM
 
Location: Colorado
304 posts, read 256,478 times
Reputation: 742
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Pinellas_Guy View Post
You can look up who voted for or against it. It is public record.

Seems like a phony stance for a company or artist to be against NC, but for some countries that brutalize women, gays and certain religious people. I'm not sure I buy that.
Your posts are intelligent. But this argument is a mute point. Those type of countries, aren't moving any direction, whereas this law is moving North Carolina backwards.

As to your response to my previous post, simply donating money is still bringing in tax dollars. Cancelling several events will stop that completely. Innocent people are already being discriminated against. The whole law in general is a cowardice piece of legislation, if your legislators chose not to have their name attached to it, that's on them. The more people missing out on paychecks, and not being able to pay bills, hiding behind someones hate, well, they need to stand up. Start making phone calls, e-mails. I'm not seeing this. Instead, what I see are people blaming those boycotting for the most part.

I can only imagine if the shoe was on the other foot, and those doing the discriminating were the ones truly having their rights violated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-19-2016, 08:09 AM
 
Location: Greensboro, NC
5,748 posts, read 4,211,898 times
Reputation: 3811
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
No one would be peeing in front of the opposite sex. How many times do you have to be told that there are no urinals in women's bathrooms.
There are in the men's bathroom. Do you think it's all about the women's restroom?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-19-2016, 08:19 AM
 
Location: The place where the road & the sky collide
21,903 posts, read 27,184,852 times
Reputation: 8966
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
There are in the men's bathroom. Do you think it's all about the women's restroom?
The individuals who look like men but still have female plumbing go in a stall. They can't use a urinal. Do you only think of urinals?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-19-2016, 08:41 AM
 
Location: Greensboro, NC
5,748 posts, read 4,211,898 times
Reputation: 3811
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
The individuals who look like men but still have female plumbing go in a stall. They can't use a urinal. Do you only think of urinals?
I'm sorry, but this is a silly argument. Do you not also stop to think that as a man, I would feel uncomfortable if a woman, who cannot pass as man, comes walking into the bathroom while I am at a urinal? I mean, taking your argument from the other thread, you specifically stated that you would not feel comfortable with a "trans" man in your ladies room who doesn't look like a woman. Well, applying what you just said to me, there are no urinals in the ladies room and he would still have to use a stall, which means he's not watching you pee and poop. So, either you're arguing out of both sides of your mouth, or you're unwilling to see that you're arguing the same exact argument that those who support HB2 have said. And what can be concluded from your argument is that you only support the Charlotte ordinance if it pertains to transsexuals, since they look like the gender they transforming to. If they don't, you don't support it. So, it's kind of hypocritical to bash those who do support HB2 when you aren't totally on board with the idea of allowing all transgenders the right to choose which bathroom they wish to use.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-19-2016, 09:19 AM
 
Location: North of South, South of North
8,706 posts, read 8,794,680 times
Reputation: 5073
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbalmedpoet View Post
Your posts are intelligent. But this argument is a mute point. Those type of countries, aren't moving any direction, whereas this law is moving North Carolina backwards.

As to your response to my previous post, simply donating money is still bringing in tax dollars. Cancelling several events will stop that completely. Innocent people are already being discriminated against. The whole law in general is a cowardice piece of legislation, if your legislators chose not to have their name attached to it, that's on them. The more people missing out on paychecks, and not being able to pay bills, hiding behind someones hate, well, they need to stand up. Start making phone calls, e-mails. I'm not seeing this. Instead, what I see are people blaming those boycotting for the most part.

I can only imagine if the shoe was on the other foot, and those doing the discriminating were the ones truly having their rights violated.
I never think trying to hurt someone is a good thing. Hate is hate in all its forms. Two wrongs do not make a right and all that jazz. I would much rather see people work together, to find the best compromise for all. Too much division today. Not everyone will get everything they want. For instance, for medical reasons, I need pool water to be 90 degrees. Well, I called the local Y and they keep theirs at 80. That won't work for me. Should I expect that all Y's be mandated to change their pool temp policy from 80 to 90 degrees for me or should I do as I did and put a heater in my own pool?

Not every need can be met in mass form, so we need to have civil & unbiased discussions on how to proceed forward on certain issues.
__________________
My mod posts will be bolded in red.

The Rules ~ Infractions & Deletions ~ Who's the moderator? ~ FAQ ~ Personal Attacks ~ Trolling ~ Copyrighted Material
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-19-2016, 09:22 AM
 
Location: The place where the road & the sky collide
21,903 posts, read 27,184,852 times
Reputation: 8966
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
I'm sorry, but this is a silly argument. Do you not also stop to think that as a man, I would feel uncomfortable if a woman, who cannot pass as man, comes walking into the bathroom while I am at a urinal? I mean, taking your argument from the other thread, you specifically stated that you would not feel comfortable with a "trans" man in your ladies room who doesn't look like a woman. Well, applying what you just said to me, there are no urinals in the ladies room and he would still have to use a stall, which means he's not watching you pee and poop. So, either you're arguing out of both sides of your mouth, or you're unwilling to see that you're arguing the same exact argument that those who support HB2 have said. And what can be concluded from your argument is that you only support the Charlotte ordinance if it pertains to transsexuals, since they look like the gender they transforming to. If they don't, you don't support it. So, it's kind of hypocritical to bash those who do support HB2 when you aren't totally on board with the idea of allowing all transgenders the right to choose which bathroom they wish to use.
The selling point for HB2 has been "We're keeping our women & children safe." They are not concerned with your comfort level or mine. They say that they are keeping me safe, not you. Try to ponder that, then realize that, should you be the victim of discrimination, you are no longer free to sue in state courts. That has nothing to do with bathrooms, but it's part of the bill & part of their agenda, which does not include your comfort.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-19-2016, 10:24 AM
 
Location: Greensboro, NC
5,748 posts, read 4,211,898 times
Reputation: 3811
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
The selling point for HB2 has been "We're keeping our women & children safe." They are not concerned with your comfort level or mine. They say that they are keeping me safe, not you.
LOL! Try reading the law itself. It is protecting both the men's and women's restrooms, as well as locker rooms and shower facilities. Nice try, but you're incorrect.


Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Try to ponder that, then realize that, should you be the victim of discrimination, you are no longer free to sue in state courts. That has nothing to do with bathrooms, but it's part of the bill & part of their agenda, which does not include your comfort.
And that's the part where I don't agree with either about the bill. Lady, it isn't all or nothing. Just because I agree with the bathroom part of HB2 doesn't mean I think the entire bill is great. I think both the ordinance and the HB2 bill were not needed. Had the HB2 bill just reaffirmed what was already law, which was the state having control over minimum wage, the state's discrimination law superseding city ordinances, and reaffirming the bathroom issue, I don't really believe anyone would have blinked and eye. If the Charlotte ordinance had focused on employment/housing discrimination rights being extended to sexual orientation, and not had overstepped the boundaries on forcing private businesses to adhere to some bathroom ordinance, things would have been OK.

Both sides of this are guilty of doing some stupid things. Both Charlotte and the General Assembly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:13 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top