Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2016, 09:52 AM

6,957 posts, read 8,492,615 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vulfpeck View Post
The more cities adopt ordinances like Charlotte's, the more violence we will see from angry father's in "defense" of their daughters, whether their anger is justified or not. Of course they'll be arrested, but overall, these laws will cause more physical harm to trans people than they prevent.
But in cities that have ordinances similar to Charlotte's proposal, how come we haven't heard any big national outcry of the angry fathers? Maybe it's a non-issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2016, 11:10 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,165,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
But in cities that have ordinances similar to Charlotte's proposal, how come we haven't heard any big national outcry of the angry fathers? Maybe it's a non-issue.
The manufacturing of the anger sure feels like the new Southern Strategy to me.

Old 04-24-2016, 11:21 AM

1,360 posts, read 1,007,723 times
No less manufactured than the left's "anger" over the so-called "discrimination" of separating men and women into different toilet and shower facilities.

Old 04-24-2016, 01:32 PM

3,774 posts, read 8,197,080 times
Quote:
No less manufactured than the left's "anger" over the so-called "discrimination" of separating men and women into different toilet and shower facilities.
Again, since you refuse to acknowledge or address this point:

Transgender/transsexual individuals attempt suicide at a rate more than TEN TIMES the "normal" average. It's time to de-stigmatize this population and equality rules are a good place to start with a misinformed public!

You're decrying the potential damage to women and children while ignoring real damage to other subsets of our community.

Old 04-24-2016, 01:39 PM

People with all forms of mental illness are more likely to commit suicide. Legitimizing it only confuses them further. Gender dysphoria deserves sympathy and care, but not acceptance as a norm.

Body integrity identity disorder is a similar illness that drives people to have healthy arms and legs removed. Would you suggest we institute laws that reinforce that as well? Pehaps handicap parking prior to their medical "transition" from whole-bodied person to amputee?

Aside from making this sort of self-destructive disorder acceptable, it' an even bigger problem if the laws intended to "help" them inadvertently subject an even larger group to unnecessary risk. As was the case with Charlotte's ordinance.

Last edited by vulfpeck; 04-24-2016 at 02:28 PM..

Old 04-24-2016, 02:53 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,492,615 times
Quote:
People with all forms of mental illness are more likely to commit suicide. Legitimizing it only confuses them further. Gender dysphoria deserves sympathy and care, but not acceptance as a norm.

Body integrity identity disorder is a similar illness that drives people to have healthy arms and legs removed. Would you suggest we institute laws that reinforce that as well? Pehaps handicap parking prior to their medical "transition" from whole-bodied person to amputee?

Aside from making this sort of self-destructive disorder acceptable, it' an even bigger problem if the laws intended to "help" them inadvertently subject an even larger group to unnecessary risk. As was the case with Charlotte's ordinance.
I call "bs" on all of those statements! You minimize real risk vs. imaginary risk! Maybe we need a "vulpecker fact checker" and "hyperbole deflater".

Old 04-24-2016, 04:35 PM

I beg you to check the facts. It would be a welcome diversion from name-calling and fact-devoid rants. I would love nothing more than to debate this topic on it's own merits as apposed to partisan attacks and rhetoric that illustrate no clear understanding of the issue or the concerns of the people you disagree with.

Last edited by vulfpeck; 04-24-2016 at 06:02 PM..

Old 04-24-2016, 05:17 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,260,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by underPSI View Post
Wow....this thread is just full of silliness now. Actually it's outright ridiculous.

Look, if people want men to crap in the women's restroom, let 'em. If a woman claiming to be a man what's to pee spread eagle in a urinal next to me in the men's room, by all means do so but don't get upset when I laugh.

But like I said previously, I will stop any man who claims to be a women and tries to use the restroom while my wife and daughter are in there. I will ask politely first to wait until my wife or daughter leaves but will use force if he attempts to enter. Legal repercussions? Ha. I doubt it but even so I will stop at nothing for the safety of those two. Period.

And blah, blah, blah I know there are laws in place to punish a sex offender. Yeah, tell that to victims of sex offenders.

So y'all libs keep on playin'. But ya better start doing pushups because it's fixin' to get real, ya heard?
lol, your barking is absolutely ridiculous.

Old 04-24-2016, 06:05 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,901,046 times
Quote:
I beg you to check the facts. It would be a welcome diversion from name-calling and fact-devoid rants. I would love nothing more than to debate this topic on it's own merits as apposed to partisan attacks and rhetoric that illustrate no clear understanding of the issue or the concerns of the people you disagree with.
This would probably be a GREAT topic in one of the broader forums, where we are not limited in scope and audience. It would be great to get more info and people's experience on this, beyond just the NC ramifications......but we can't really do that in this particular forum.

Old 04-24-2016, 06:27 PM

3,774 posts, read 8,197,080 times
Quote:

People with "mental illness" do attempt suicide at a higher rate. Schizophrenics have a 30-40% attempt rate. But DEPRESSED people who are otherwise healthy also are at major risk. Depression can happen to anyone. They deserve sympathy, care, AND ACCEPTANCE. These people are NOT criminals. Many are depressed because of the stigma and difficulties they face everyday when otherwise well-meaning people say things like "they don't deserve acceptance". How can sympathy and care take place without acceptance?

I imagine if it was your family you would feel differently, even if you don't realize it now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina