Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2016, 01:19 PM

3,774 posts, read 8,191,456 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
Why are you asking such a dumb question to begin with? What the ordinance does or doesn't do that would effect other jurisdictions is a pointless conversation. The city of Charlotte overstepped its power with this ordinance. The ordinance would have done two things: Either forced all businesses, public and private, to put in money for renovations of their bathroom facilities - in which YOU would wind up footing that bill one way or another. Or the second thing, these businesses would have simply not offered public restrooms anymore. Either way, the ordinance would have done more to hurt business than help it.

The new law still gives private business owners the choice, which is how it should be. All this talk about stripping anti-discrimination protections away is a lie dreamed up by the liberal left. If there are any issues with discrimination laws, it should be argued on the state level to begin with.

It's not a dumb question, it's the justification provided by the mayors office! I'm not just making stuff up (like the GA and Jaquish).

And if it's such a "dumb" question, please answer it. What "power" did Charlotte exceed that threatens safety or health outside of Charlotte's jurisdiction? Put it to words...

And Charlotte's ordinance DID NOT require anyone to renovate ANYTHING. So that's false. Even if it did, it wouldn't require Oak Ridge to do anything!

If a business doesn't want to offer any restrooms (rather than let's a trans woman pee with dignity), then that's their imperative. Hardly worthy of State action! There's tons of seedy convenience stores that don't offer restroom accessibility... Should the state address that too? And how does whether a Charlotte business can or can't discriminate against the LGBT community affect Oak Ridge (hint: it doesn't!).

Let me tell you how concerned I am about Town of Oak Ridge business: not at all. zero. zilch. nada. zip. nil. How would you like it if Raleigh (or Charlotte!) told Oak Ridge that they were more suited to handle Oak Ridge's politics than Oak Ridge was?!? You'd probably (rightly) tell them "thanks, but no thanks".

Oak Ridge has different needs than Charlotte. The rules that work for Avery County won't work so well on Mecklenburg or Wake. Let communities regulate themselves... even the big ones.

But go ahead; tell us how this bill, a bill SO IMPORTANT that it required an EMERGENCY session, a bill so IMPORTANT that an entire HALF HOUR was dedicated to public comment, a bill SO IMPORTANT that committee members only got FIVE (5) minutes to READ THE TEXT, a bill that proposed SWEEPING CHANGES to State systems in more arenas than discrimination... Tell us city slickers how this bill was REQUIRED because Charlotte over-stepped their authority.

And for the record, the sitting AG doesn't agree with the GA... If I was a legislator in Raleigh though... Looking at the lawsuits being filed and thinking about the legal costs I'd just cost my state... Yeah, I'd probably grasp at straws too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2016, 01:24 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,719,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Perhaps you should read the quote to learn, rather than being distracted by formulating a response without paying attention to the quote?
I'll check back to see how you make out.
Nothing in that quote explains how or why. It is a naked assertion.

Old 03-28-2016, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
Why are you asking such a dumb question to begin with? What the ordinance does or doesn't do that would effect other jurisdictions is a pointless conversation.
Because it is the rationale given by the governor.

Old 03-28-2016, 01:28 PM

3,774 posts, read 8,191,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
Because it is the rationale given by the governor.
Thank you for being succinct! It's a skill I should work on...

Old 03-28-2016, 01:35 PM

4,218 posts, read 8,525,465 times
Winston-Salem Journal is reporting the the High Point Market is already losing customers:

High Point Market says House Bill 2 leading to cancelled plans

Old 03-28-2016, 02:50 PM

43,266 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Nothing in that quote explains how or why. It is a naked assertion.
Seriously?
"Answer: North Carolina is one of at least 37 states like Virginia where cities and towns cannot pass rules or regulations that exceed the authority given to them by the state. In passing the bathroom ordinance, Charlotte was exceeding its authority and setting rules that had ramifications beyond the City of Charlotte. The legislature acted to address privacy and safety concerns if this ordinance was allowed to go into effect on April 1."

That is an obvious "why," whether you like the law or not. And, I posted the link to the City of Charlotte Charter, so objective people could read up on it. I cannot find that authority included in it anywhere, implied or specified.

I hope I don't make you go blind like that other feller claims I did.

Old 03-28-2016, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Seriously?
"Answer: North Carolina is one of at least 37 states like Virginia where cities and towns cannot pass rules or regulations that exceed the authority given to them by the state. In passing the bathroom ordinance, Charlotte was exceeding its authority and setting rules that had ramifications beyond the City of Charlotte. The legislature acted to address privacy and safety concerns if this ordinance was allowed to go into effect on April 1."
Yes. That is the exact post I am referring to, which in no way explains what those ramifications are beyond the City of Charlotte.

It simply says "there are ramifications," as if the City of Charlotte's ordinance is going to somehow magically affect the City of Fayetteville.

Quote:
That is an obvious "why," whether you like the law or not.
It says why the NCGA was legally able to pass the law (Which is indeed obvious to anyone familiar with NC law), but it doesn't say why they think the City of Charlotte's local ordinances have ramifications outside the city of Charlotte.

Old 03-28-2016, 03:51 PM

43,266 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Yes. That is the exact post I am referring to, which in no way explains what those ramifications are beyond the City of Charlotte.

It simply says "there are ramifications," as if the City of Charlotte's ordinance is going to somehow magically affect the City of Fayetteville.

It says why the NCGA was legally able to pass the law (Which is indeed obvious to anyone familiar with NC law), but it doesn't say why they think the City of Charlotte's local ordinances have ramifications outside the city of Charlotte.
The whole "...ramifications outside Charlotte..." is an opponent's red herring, and just a minor tangent in the discussion by both sides.
The lack of authority to enact the local ordinance is solely contained within the City of Charlotte to adequately and easily support the case, as quoted many times here, that the City of Charlotte exceeded their legally granted authority.

Old 03-28-2016, 07:19 PM

2,424 posts, read 3,534,727 times
NY Governor Andrew Cuomo Bans Non-Essential State Travel to North Carolina.

Old 03-28-2016, 08:19 PM

5,922 posts, read 6,462,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
It's not a dumb question, it's the justification provided by the mayors office! I'm not just making stuff up (like the GA and Jaquish).

And if it's such a "dumb" question, please answer it. What "power" did Charlotte exceed that threatens safety or health outside of Charlotte's jurisdiction? Put it to words...
Charlotte exceed the power granted to them by the state. No city can make laws that supersede state law. Example, instituting its own minimum wage. The MW is set by the state, not by individual cities.

Quote:
And Charlotte's ordinance DID NOT require anyone to renovate ANYTHING. So that's false. Even if it did, it wouldn't require Oak Ridge to do anything!
Let me try to explain this to you. In order for Charlotte businesses to adhere to the ordinance while maintain respect, dignity, and privacy of its customers, they would need to ensure their bathroom facilities meet the standards of privacy needed for unisex, multiple use facilities. And remember, we are not just talking about bathrooms, we are talking about bathing facilities as well as locker rooms. Secondly, this has nothing directly to do with Oak Ridge, but merely to say that other cities would follow suit if Charlotte is able to get by with overstepping its power.

Quote:
If a business doesn't want to offer any restrooms (rather than let's a trans woman pee with dignity), then that's their imperative. Hardly worthy of State action! There's tons of seedy convenience stores that don't offer restroom accessibility... Should the state address that too? And how does whether a Charlotte business can or can't discriminate against the LGBT community affect Oak Ridge (hint: it doesn't!).
Try running a restaurant or bar without a bathroom and see how successful you are. Secondly, convenience stores or retail stores don't have to offer restrooms. Restaurants do. And most convenience stores who do offer restrooms offer single occupancy restrooms, making your point moot. And again, I am not talking about Oak Ridge.

Quote:
Let me tell you how concerned I am about Town of Oak Ridge business: not at all. zero. zilch. nada. zip. nil. How would you like it if Raleigh (or Charlotte!) told Oak Ridge that they were more suited to handle Oak Ridge's politics than Oak Ridge was?!? You'd probably (rightly) tell them "thanks, but no thanks".
I don't know why you keep referring to Oak Ridge. I can care less what you think of Oak Ridge.

Quote:
Oak Ridge has different needs than Charlotte. The rules that work for Avery County won't work so well on Mecklenburg or Wake. Let communities regulate themselves... even the big ones.
Why even have states then? Just break up the states, or for that matter, might as well not even have a federal government if localities can just simply make their own laws and be self governed. Did you take government when you were in high school?

Quote:
But go ahead; tell us how this bill, a bill SO IMPORTANT that it required an EMERGENCY session, a bill so IMPORTANT that an entire HALF HOUR was dedicated to public comment, a bill SO IMPORTANT that committee members only got FIVE (5) minutes to READ THE TEXT, a bill that proposed SWEEPING CHANGES to State systems in more arenas than discrimination... Tell us city slickers how this bill was REQUIRED because Charlotte over-stepped their authority.
The ordinance was set to go in effect April 1st. So the GA had to act fast to counter it. The bill did not have "sweeping changes" like you assumed. The bill just reinforced existing state law that was already in effect. Which, you do realize, cities cannot set their own minimum wage, and this was one thing Charlotte attempted to do. Again, overstepping their power.

Quote:
And for the record, the sitting AG doesn't agree with the GA... If I was a legislator in Raleigh though... Looking at the lawsuits being filed and thinking about the legal costs I'd just cost my state... Yeah, I'd probably grasp at straws too.
All these frivolous lawsuits will not even make it to court much less really matter in the long run. There is no case of discrimination since the bathroom law allows business owners the choice to provide all gender bathrooms or existing men's and women's bathrooms, which is how it should be handled in the first place.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 03-28-2016 at 08:50 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina