U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2016, 07:45 AM

3 posts, read 1,758 times

Advertisements

Hello. My husband, myself and our 5 children are planning on relocating to NC from NJ in the next 2-3 years. We will have 1 child in college by then, 2 high schoolers, 1 middle school and 1 elementary age child by that time. My husband is in the construction buisness and I'm in the medical field (nurse practitioner). We are looking for a small town, within a reasonable distance to a larger city, with good school systems. I've been researching towns south of Charlotte; Waxhaw, Matthews, ect. However, I've heard that there is constant re-districting with the schools. We would already be moving our kids to another state so I wouldn't want them to have to change schools. Any thoughts on which towns would be worth looking into?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2016, 08:45 AM

11,236 posts, read 19,703,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momuv5 View Post
We are looking for a small town, within a reasonable distance to a larger city, with good school systems. I've been researching towns south of Charlotte; Waxhaw, Matthews, ect. However, I've heard that there is constant re-districting with the schools. We would already be moving our kids to another state so I wouldn't want them to have to change schools. Any thoughts on which towns would be worth looking into?
Redisticting is going to be a problem in either Metro area since they are both in high demand from transplants and growing rapidly.

I'd suggest checking the Charlotte sub-forum for specifics on the redistricting. You might look for further-out counties experiencing lower growth, maybe Gaston County or the South Carolina York County.

Regarding the Raleigh area, the same growth issues are going to create redistricting. You might look at Orange or Chatham Counties, but be aware that the schools are not as highly rated as the Wake County schools.

Old 04-01-2016, 08:55 AM

16,746 posts, read 25,753,671 times
I think it is something like less than 5% of kids who ever get redistricted in Wake County (Raleigh area). That's in a school system of over 100k students.

You have the same fears as all transplants (hello, nice to meet you) but the truth is this is a question that doesn't have a simple answer. If you want to avoid a high chance of being re-districted, then you should avoid the most newly developed areas of Wake County (I can't speak for the Charlotte metro). You should also keep in mind that should a re-districting occur, most of your child's friends will be going right along with them, so in the overall scheme of things, it really is not that big of a deal.

I grew up on Long Island (Huntington to be exact) and attended 3 different elementary schools even though we never moved. My siblings did too, and even attended a completely different school than me that closed before i came around. In fact, that went on the whole time my family lived in Huntington, and I still know people there and it's still going on. Other places on LI are dealing with declining enrollments and closing schools and those kids will have to change schools.

I know when you're moving everything seems very fraught with potential complications, but if you get stuck on an issue like this you'll never make the move. And in the overall course of one's lifetime it's really not that big of an issue, even if they've already moved once. In all honesty, it's all going to come down to how YOU react to it. I have a friend whose son is being re-districted this year, he'll be going to a different middle school than her other two went to, and she isn't happy as she has a history at that school but she's telling him it's no big deal; that's how you handle it.

Old 04-01-2016, 04:03 PM

6,270 posts, read 10,000,759 times
I honestly think this will come down to where your husband can find steady work. Both Charlotte and the Triangle has TONS of construction (ie homes and road projects). However, Charlotte has much more high rise and mass transit type construction projects. In other words, if your husband has experience in transit oriented construction or skyscraper developments, Charlotte would be the better option. Your job won't matter much because you'll find great job offers any where you go.

Old 04-05-2016, 02:08 PM

3,474 posts, read 1,480,694 times
Both are good areas, so it might be good to get a job nailed down in either metro Charlotte or metro Raleigh. Both have great economies. Charlotte has more unique recreational assets, nation's #2 financial center (NYC's #1), 7th busiest airport in the nation, and more of a big-city feel. RDU ranks very high nationally in terms of the health care field and colleges. Great areas!

Old 04-05-2016, 02:35 PM

21,888 posts, read 27,167,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momuv5 View Post
Hello. My husband, myself and our 5 children are planning on relocating to NC from NJ in the next 2-3 years. We will have 1 child in college by then, 2 high schoolers, 1 middle school and 1 elementary age child by that time. My husband is in the construction buisness and I'm in the medical field (nurse practitioner). We are looking for a small town, within a reasonable distance to a larger city, with good school systems. I've been researching towns south of Charlotte; Waxhaw, Matthews, ect. However, I've heard that there is constant re-districting with the schools. We would already be moving our kids to another state so I wouldn't want them to have to change schools. Any thoughts on which towns would be worth looking into?
A lot will depend on the type of construction that your husband does. For instance, construction of a power plant has started in my town. There is a lot of construction going on in Charlotte, & residential construction is widespread.

Old 04-27-2016, 05:21 AM

3 posts, read 1,758 times
Default Thank you!

Thank you everyone for your advice! I think we've nailed down the Charlotte area!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina